Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,401 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21-year-old Egyptian male. I was recently granted my Canadian immigrant visa and I'll be landing soon for my Permanent Residence card. I won't be working right away because this transfer will mess up my credits so I'll have to do at least another two years of college to properly graduate.

What worries me is what I've been reading about widespread racial discrimination in Canada. I wasn't expecting it given Canada's dovish reputation and the fact that it receives between 250,000-350,000 immigrants each year like me. It's very important to me that I be able to get a job and achieve financial security.

I'm planning to do a heck of a lot to boost my credentials while I'm still in college (French fluency, writing, unpaid internships, volunteer work, maybe a double major, etc) but I don't think that will do much if good employers just don't have it in their minds to recruit dark North African-looking people. I'll even legally change my name to something less ethnic-sounding if I have to. I'm going to be in Halifax (though job applications might take me to Toronto or somewhere).

I usually wouldn't do this but I decided to attach my photos here just to ask, realistically, what would you think my chances are?

I can look better, these just aren't my best. I just need to know if I should bother coming. I need upward mobility.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,297,811 times
You don't look any different from a lot of Canadians. The only thing I would suggest would be a smile!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,140,408 times
I would not be too concerned. My family is very close to a family of Egyptians (and by extension we know lots of other Egyptians) who have been here for 50 years and they have been splendidly successful and happy in Canada.

Many hundreds of thousands of Canadians are of Arab origin.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,045,678 times
I personally had an Egyptian roomate and he did not feel discriminated against in Canada. His one issue was when looking for work, employers preferred Canadian work experience and he had to take a lower level job. No different from some people I've met in the US or Australia...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,122,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianUnderConstruction View Post
What worries me is what I've been reading about widespread racial discrimination in Canada. I wasn't expecting it given Canada's dovish reputation and the fact that it receives between 250,000-350,000 immigrants each year like me.

.......... but I don't think that will do much if good employers just don't have it in their minds to recruit dark North African-looking people.

I usually wouldn't do this but I decided to attach my photos here just to ask, realistically, what would you think my chances are?

I can look better, these just aren't my best. I just need to know if I should bother coming. I need upward mobility.
Consider the source - where have you been reading about widespread racial discrimination in Canada? Is it from other people you know and trust who already live in Canada? If not then ignore it, don't believe everything you read from other sources who don't know the facts.

You look like many thousands of successful immigrants here on the west coast. If your personal mannerisms, demeanour and spoken English are as impressive as your cultured, well-written English you should do fine in Canada.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 PM

156 posts, read 391,760 times
Forget about french, unless you're seeking work with the government or in Quebec. If you are great at English which I suspect you are, I wouldn't worry about it! If your part of a clique that separate themselves from everyone else you may be setting yourself up for more discrimination (coming from a young adult)

Like others have said you should do just fine.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:46 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,862,669 times
Pretty ridiculous question, but if you carry yourself properly and don't act like an idiot.. you'll be accepted with ease.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:22 PM

355 posts, read 2,371,749 times
I'd like to mention your nickname is interesting. A Canadian in the making ("CanadianUnderConstruction) mentality is always a good way to start. I'm planning to move to Canada in a few months myself, and I've developed the habit of playing the national anthem a few times a week as I start my day. I also got a small Canadian flag that I have on my desk.

I think that is the right mentality for a new immigrant: without forgetting your roots, learn about the country that is giving you the chance to make something of yourself, and do your part to assimilate and merge as well as possible. After all, that will be your new home.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM

287 posts, read 1,373,257 times
Dude....just be yourself and you'll do fine!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,466,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianUnderConstruction View Post
I'm going to be in Halifax (though job applications might take me to Toronto or somewhere).
Didn't get a chance to have a look at your photos, - but since you mentioned Halifax, thought I could add something of value. Nova Scotia and the Maritimes in general have probably the most percentage of Anglo-Saxons in Canada. That being said, Halifax has extended Lebanese, Greek and Asian communities, not speaking of African-Canadians.

Halifax: Highest proportion of visible minorities in the Atlantic region

I think the biggest problem you would encounter in Halifax is finding a job, rather than ethnic discrimination. Therefore, all you are doing to enhance your resume is all the right stuff. True, lots of immigrants use Halifax as just the first stop before moving on to Ontario and BC - but personally, after being an immigrant in BC, Nova Scotia represents a respite from the hustle and bustle. Maybe it comes with an age, and you being just 21, you might find Nova Scotia too quiet.

Good luck with your transition to becoming a fellow Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada