Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Is Canada becoming more liberal or more conservative? I'm a Yank, so I can't speak from personal experience. What do you Canucks think?
I'd say neither. Liberal and conservative don't mean the same thing in Canada that they mean in USA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I don't really get the sense that Canada is becoming more conservative at all. Keep in mind that most Canadian "conservatives" (at least here in Ontario) are more liberal than American Democrats.
That is true but Canada is becoming more conservative as America becomes more liberal. Maybe soon we will meet in the middle and join as one big country!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
The terms Liberal and Conservative are not as polarizing as in the US. To call oneself a liberal stateside is still seen by many as shameful, whereas in Canada, I would guess that the majority of the population would describe themselves in that way. The rhetoric of the US (which shocked me once I moved here from school) just doesn't exist in Canada.
You haven't had Fox News long enough. Just wait. Oh, and add in some "hate radio" (Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Savage) and you too will be at each other's throats and see planes crashing into government buildings and truck bombs blowing up government buildings and "militias" with bombs and weapons running wild!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
db108108 wrote:
To call oneself a liberal stateside is still seen by many as shameful,
I'm a Colorado Independent myself, so I don't consider myself a liberal. However I lean in that direction, and I'm certainly not ashamed of it. It's the nutjob, whacko fringe on the far right that wants to paint liberals as shameful people. Unfortunately many of their sheeplike followers have bought into it, but most true blooded liberals see right thru the chicanery.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 AM

237 posts, read 870,948 times
that's a great question. what does it mean to be liberal today ? the definition might've changed in the last decade.
most conservative governments in the west have their roots in Christian right organizations (like the reform party in Canada). those values certainly don't seem very popular among people today but that could change.
relative to the rest of the world Canada is becoming more conservative. that doesn't mean that liberal ideas aren't becoming more popular.

Last edited by grmike; 04-08-2010 at 04:39 AM..

Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
that's a great question. what does it mean to be liberal today ? the definition might've changed in the last decade.
most conservative governments in the west have their roots in Christian right organizations (like the reform party in Canada). those values certainly don't seem very popular among people today but that could change.
relative to the rest of the world Canada is becoming more conservative. that doesn't mean that liberal ideas aren't becoming more popular.

How so?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
I think Canada is becoming more Canadian....

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I'm a Yank, so I can't speak from personal experience. What do you Canucks think?
As an American you must notice that Canadians just dont take their politics as seriously as the Americans do,in fact up until Obama came on the scene i never really knew if i was conservative or liberal as it didnt really matter that much,now after a year or more of making comments on American political forums(Off Topic sections) i'm definitely defined as a social democrat by American standards and the heat,vitriol and venom i get from taking that political stance is quite astounding.It seems since Obama came on the scene America has become very intense and its looking like the beginnings of a civil war between left and right with media fanning the flames of hysteria on every issue,By comparison to American politics Canada is probably drifting left
(i hope) so as to avoid the mess America has gotten itself into.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Even the most extreme conservative in Canada would likely be a very moderate Republican.

There's no talk of scrapping health care in Canada. The talk is of making it more accountable and providing options. Even the craziest know that you could never eradicate the majority of social programs.

The biggest change lately is that the country is gradually becoming more fiscally conservative. There is a growing recognition that the debt is something that needs to be addressed, after a generation of ignoring it. Now how the remaining pie is to be spent is where the parties disagree.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Most Canadians don't really define themselves or their cities in terms of "liberal" and "conservative" the way Americans do. If you asked people on the streets of Canadian cities whether their city was liberal or conservative, most people would think that was a very odd question and might have a hard time answering it, and many of them would probably give the wrong answer since they'd just be guessing. I'm willing to bet that many people from Toronto wouldn't hesitate to say that Toronto was conservative despite the fact that it's actually about as liberal as San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada