Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 02:28 PM

948 posts, read 3,357,210 times

Advertisements

My friend has told me that she had spontaneous bleeding after chemo (for breast cancer) and her platelet count went from 450k to 20k. Her chemo has been reduced and she said if her platelet counts don't go up that she'll have to try another "toxic agent."

How often does something like this happen? What kind of alternatives are there for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 03:00 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
she is having a side effect--in this case(bleeding) i would recommend a consult at a teaching hospital noted for cancer therapy

Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
My friend has told me that she had spontaneous bleeding after chemo (for breast cancer) and her platelet count went from 450k to 20k. Her chemo has been reduced and she said if her platelet counts don't go up that she'll have to try another "toxic agent."

How often does something like this happen? What kind of alternatives are there for her?

What kind of bleeding did she have and how much?

Thrombocytopenia --- low platelets --- is a common side effect of chemo.

The next round of medication may need to be delayed until the count comes up.

It is possible to give platelet transfusions, but those are not usually considered unless the platelet count goes down to about 10K or there is active bleeding or a need for surgery or a procedure with a risk of bleeding.

There are also medications that are growth factors for platelets.

At 20K, probably just take it easy, avoid strenuous activity, and wait for the count to come up on its own.

What does her oncologist say?

Edited to add: God bless platelet donors! My son used a bunch of them when he was on chemo for leukemia.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I wonder if she should be given Neulasta after each chemo treatment? It helps keep one's white count from getting too low. I did not have it after my first treatment and got an infection which set me back. After all subsequent treatments I got a shot of Neulasta, and things went better.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
I was given a shot of neulasta every couple of weeks to keep my blood count up.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,889 times
There are always side effects with chemo; some worse than others. Sounds like her oncologist is on top of it. The other "toxic agents" would be another type of chemo, something less likely to cause low platelets.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post

Google how to bring them up. There are certain vegetables that help it. I think theres a product called blood well from the health food store. If a cancer patient is going to take something natural; they need to let their oncologist know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wonder if she should be given Neulasta after each chemo treatment? It helps keep one's white count from getting too low. I did not have it after my first treatment and got an infection which set me back. After all subsequent treatments I got a shot of Neulasta, and things went better.
Some doctors don't like to use it because it has side effects as well.
It seems like they like to see what a patients body does 1st before adding other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer