Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,230 times

Advertisements

I know we're supposed to drink a lot of water. The water here is awful and I have water delivered. Last week I changed from the big bottle (on a stand) to individual little bottles. I lifted that big bottle, twice, after surgary and then thought, wait a minute; I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting. That was stupid.

So I do drink a lot of water, but problem is, I'm still getting up about every two hours at night to pee. Is that normal? How much water are we supposed to drink, anyway? (I'm 6'3").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
There's not really any need to drink so much water right now. Of course, stay hydrated, but don't make yourself sick! Drinking a lot of water is really the most important the day before, of, and 3 days after chemo to help flush the drugs out of your system. I drank about a gallon each day. And yes, you will be going to the bathroom a LOT. Try to taper off as it gets closer to bedtime. Your body will eventually adjust, so you won't be getting up every 2 hours forever.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
On days around actual chemo treatments, extra fluid is recommended to help protect the kidney from the drugs. Follow your doctor's advice about how much you need.

You can also get fluid from ice chips, popscicles, and fruit bars. You can freeze fruit juice to make ice chips.

If you have vomiting or diarrhea, you need to replace the fluid lost from those. Your doctor may suggest using sports beverages with electrolytes if you do have those side effects. We are predicting that you will find the anti-nausea medications to be so effective that vomiting will be infrequent.

Most of the time you will not need to take in so much that you are constantly in the bathroom.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
One of the potential side effects from my chemo was Gout. My doctor put me on daily Allopurinol for the entire treatment period and advised 80 ounces of fluids per day, most of which being water.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
One of the potential side effects from my chemo was Gout. My doctor put me on daily Allopurinol for the entire treatment period and advised 80 ounces of fluids per day, most of which being water.
Prior to my surgery, I had swelling in my lower extremeties, but I don't know if it was gout. I know if I ate any sugar, it was worse, however. The bottled water I get is 16.9 oz/bottle, which--if I should do 80 oz-- is a little shy of five bottles/day. Easy to do. I think I'm dong that or more.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
They told me the same thing when I was doing chemo. Drinking water and staying hydrated. I drank a lot of green tea, I also drank propel flavored water. I am not a huge water drinker. It was difficult for me. But it is recommended for protecting the kidneys and well the rest of the body.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
I'm not a big water drinker either but I forced myself to drink. I was told that if I got dehydrated, they would put me in the hospital with an IV. That was my motivation. I also drank a variety of hot teas. It's tough to do for sure.

The first couple of days and nights, they wanted me to drink water day and night and to pee at least ever 2 hours. Of course, I was peeing constantly it seemed like but it flushes the kidneys. It was a pain to get up every hour from bed but then I started telling myself, at least I'm able to get out of bed. I came up with all these thoughts and phrases during my treatment that I still put to use today. It helped me through, along with my new found faith in God.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
They told me the same thing when I was doing chemo. Drinking water and staying hydrated. I drank a lot of green tea, I also drank propel flavored water. I am not a huge water drinker. It was difficult for me. But it is recommended for protecting the kidneys and well the rest of the body.
I like this stuff:

Tazo Lotus Green Tea, Decaffeinated, 20-Count Tea Bags (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Nutricity

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I got to the point where I didn't care for tea. Towards the end of the 9 weeks I was wore down from the treatment.

I was a couple weeks into chemo and I stopped drinking coffee... I was taking a call about a vehicle crash and the caller was rattling on and getting on my nerves... I asked him "where?" He started yelling that I need to pour me another cup of coffee and blah blah blah... I thought "you worthless *******, give me the goddamned information and quit effing yelling." however I am slightly more professional that that. I did have a good laugh with my boss about it.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I got to the point where I didn't care for tea. Towards the end of the 9 weeks I was wore down from the treatment.

I was a couple weeks into chemo and I stopped drinking coffee... I was taking a call about a vehicle crash and the caller was rattling on and getting on my nerves... I asked him "where?" He started yelling that I need to pour me another cup of coffee and blah blah blah... I thought "you worthless *******, give me the goddamned information and quit effing yelling." however I am slightly more professional that that. I did have a good laugh with my boss about it.
You try to be professional but still there are some people that just keep on. Reminds me that when someone started talking and kept on and on, I had to ask them if they were almost finished. Not to be mean but I lost focus a lot when I was on chemo and could not hold long term conversations especially when it was all one sided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer