Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times

Advertisements

Tony, I wish it was easier for your Dad. But if he's still willing to fight, you need to stand by his side. Believe me, no one I know actually likes being in a hospital, but there was a time when I can't imagine being anywhere else. I would have been home alone (not an option) or with a family member who would have had to care for me and I couldn't do that to people I love. The hospital had everything required to take care of me and to ultimately prepare me for discharge.

I'm sure you feel helpless in the face of your Dad's illness, but take courage from the fact that you are helping him to whatever outcome there will be. Bless you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,345 times
Awhile back I recommended that you ask your dad's oncologist if there is a Palliative Care doctor that he could also start seeing.

Palliative Care doctors focus on helping with all the symptoms/side effects that you can have with chemo and from the cancer itself. These include pain, nausea, constipation, fatigue, sleep problems, mood problems and much much more. I cannot emphasize how important these doctors are. Especially when you have a rough cancer like your dad's and when it is not one that you can treat surgically.

There was also a published study more then a year ago that showed patients with advanced cancer (like your dad's) who were followed by a Palliative Care doctor while they were on chemo LIVED LONGER and had better quality of life then patients who did not have these doctors. That study was with advanced lung cancer patients, but they are starting to recommend that all patients with advanced cancers look into seeing these doctors.

I cannot emphasize to you enough how important this doctor is. My mom was followed by one with her pancreatic cancer, which was extensive. She was never once re-admitted to the hospital with complications. We managed everything at home, and her palliative care doctor would even call her at home to give recommendations to save her trips to the doctor.

Good luck to you and your father.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
^^^ I hope so

Despite his chest xray coming back good, he had to get 2 blood transfusions yesterday because his red blood cells were low. I don't get why all the transfusions if his oncologist at the other center says that his blood is good. I hate hospitals.
Nobody likes hospitals but they certainly are the best place to be sometimes. Cancer has to be one of the worst illnesses anyone can have, it hits so many of us and can leave everyone wiped out. The best you can do is keep a smile on your face for your dad, if that is possible.

Nita

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Tony, no point in hating hospitals. You are the one who wanted your dad to fight this hard. This is what you get with that choice. It's confusing, frustrating, an up-and-down ride, and for some it ends well, for some it doesn't. Don't take out your anger/fear on the doctors and hospitals, they are all doing the best they can.
Please don't be so hard on him.
He said he hates hospitals; we all do!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
My dad was released yesterday from the hospital. He isn't going to get anymore chemo because the cancer has spread to his lungs now. He is now getting hospice at the house. They shipped us a bed, oxygen tank, walker and wheelchair. It was also his choice. I hated him seeing him suffer. I don't want him to give up but it's his choice.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
My dad was released yesterday from the hospital. He isn't going to get anymore chemo because the cancer has spread to his lungs now. He is now getting hospice at the house. They shipped us a bed, oxygen tank, walker and wheelchair. It was also his choice. I hated him seeing him suffer. I don't want him to give up but it's his choice.
Tony, I am weeping in sadness for your Dad and for you. Hospice is not giving up. It's knowing when it's time. The hospice people will help him on the next leg of his journey. Their compassion is unparallelled. And your only job now is to let him know how much you love him. My thoughts are with both of you.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Tony; I'm so sorry to read this. Please do not feel like he's giving up.
My hub went through oral cancer & wanted to stop so many times & he had an 85% chance. My dad on the other hand; had really bad odds (14%) & fought until his last breath.

Your dad gave an amazing fight & it isn't over yet. Let him have hospice to have a break.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:

Tony, just know you all have done all you knew to do. It is now in God's hands. Love your dad,hug him,talk to him and laugh with him.
So sorry you're going through this.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
I am so sorry. Hospice is amazing! They helped us and my mother when she was in her final days. They had a harpist who came and played (she liked classical music) and they left a CD player with disks of music she liked. Their doctor was on top of her pain and I don't think she suffered. I was with her anywhere from 12 to 18 hrs/day that last week and I believe she was comfortable. Again, my sympathies.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-07-2012 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
I want my dad to get chemo again. I am convincing him to take it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer