Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:35 PM

621 posts, read 1,033,220 times

Advertisements

I finally got my driver's license last year, and after going through all of the stress of it over the years, I still cannot drive. Why? Because insurance under my parent's plan will cost about $800 a month since I will be a new driver.

So where can I find insurance for a lot less? Or will it be high no matter the company due to me being a new driver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times
Congrats on getting your license. If you under 25 and a new driver then your rates will be pretty high. Try to shop around and get different quotes with companies like Geico, Progressive, Esurance etc.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 PM

I am above 25 almost 30.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I am above 25 almost 30.
If you are in California and low income here's a solution, it's a program run by the State, the rates are amazingly low but they are only for liability not for collision or comprehensive but you can get those through the agent in your area who handles the program:
https://www.mylowcostauto.com/

Old 01-15-2016, 01:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Quote:
I finally got my driver's license last year, and after going through all of the stress of it over the years, I still cannot drive. Why? Because insurance under my parent's plan will cost about $800 a month since I will be a new driver.

So where can I find insurance for a lot less? Or will it be high no matter the company due to me being a new driver?
What state are you in? I can probably find you the name of some insurers that aren't quite as high for a new driver. A lot of companies don't sell policies in all 50 states, so that's why I ask. I am a former insurance agent in Georgia (still licensed, just working in a different part of the insurance biz now). Also, how old are you?

$800/month sounds insane, even for a new driver. The average increase when adding a new 16-year-old driver in Georgia is 70% for a female and 110% for a male. So the policy more than doubles with a new male driver. But if you are over 18, that should work in your favor, even as a new driver. Over 21 would be even better.

In the meantime, get a quote from the following-

If you live in AL, AK, AZ, CO, GA, IL, ID, IA, IN, KS, MN, MO, NV, TN, ND, OK, OR, WA or WI, check out Country Financial and countryfinancial.com. They have great new driver's programs including a course of their own that reduces the premium by 10%.

Also check out-
Several sites I checked suggested the three following companies as being best for young drivers-
Progressive
GEICO
Nationwide

MetLife

If you live in AL, AK, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX or VA, try DirectGeneral.com

Maybe you'll find something more reasonable and if you post your state of residence, I'll see what else I can find for you.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Wow, that is insane, unless you are driving some kind of exotic car or your parent's record is bad. When my older two kids got their license when they were 17, I added them to my policy insured on my 87 Mustang and the most I paid was about $85 a month for their coverage, excluding collision. And they could drive any car I own on that policy, so they drove the newer cars I bought for them. Type and age of car matter, as do location and age/experience of driver.

You do need to check around with some agents to see what deals you can get. It should be much cheaper.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:24 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
I am above 25 almost 30.
If you are almost 30, shouldn't you be getting your own insurance plan?

Old 01-20-2016, 01:24 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
You need to call around about a plan of your own. Staying on your parents insurance in the state of TN until you're 23-25ish (varies by company and situation) is a good idea, but you're well beyond that and need your own insurance. Not sure what state your in or what their laws / rules are. There are a lot of companies that work with hundreds of agencies and can get your gobs of quotes to find the best for you. Just google insurance quotes. One I refer people in TN to a lot is Answer Financial.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If you are almost 30, shouldn't you be getting your own insurance plan?
Doesn't he/she need own car for this?

Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 PM

I do have a car but its my parents choice to give me the insurance to use it. When it comes down it I won't ever drive they don't want me too because they are afraid something may happen to me while out driving on the road etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance