Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 06:02 PM

846 posts, read 1,401,298 times

Advertisements

So frustrated.

My spouse and another car backed into each other going the speed of parking lot reverse +/- 3mph. Neither car saw the other. Our insurance is stating the accident was 50/50 (duh). We have absolutely ZERO damage to our car, not even a fleck of paint missing.

Now the other car owner keeps calling US specifically -- we don't answer and inform our insurance. Keeps calling us and threatening to sue us. WTF.

This happened over a month ago. And I believe our insurance companies are still going at it.

We have $1 million coverage so I'm not too concerned. But jeez, any words of advice to keep our sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Block their number. It's a matter for the insurance to deal with, they are likely trying to avoid paying their deductible by saying it's your spouse's fault, and hoping you will pay rather than risk a lawsuit. No doubt they are upset that their car was damaged and yours was not, and they may have a high deductible like $500.

They could sue you, though, for their deductible, if they can find a lawyer to take the case, or in small claims court. Hopefully we don't see you on Judge Judy.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
So frustrated.

My spouse and another car backed into each other going the speed of parking lot reverse +/- 3mph. Neither car saw the other. Our insurance is stating the accident was 50/50 (duh). We have absolutely ZERO damage to our car, not even a fleck of paint missing.

Now the other car owner keeps calling US specifically -- we don't answer and inform our insurance. Keeps calling us and threatening to sue us. WTF.

This happened over a month ago. And I believe our insurance companies are still going at it.

We have $1 million coverage so I'm not too concerned. But jeez, any words of advice to keep our sanity.
You are likely 50% responsible for the accident whether your car was damaged or not. Your insurance company is likely to make a payment. However, I would dump the matter in their hands and let them handle it. The other driver is entitled to know your insurance information. If you don't provide it, you are indeed at the risk of being sued.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Ask your insurance company/agent for advice on how to handle. Some agents would either contact the other party and advise them to ONLY contact the insurance company and not you. An agent could also have the adjuster (if one is assigned) to the case do the same and contact the other party.

Worst case scenario, block the number and ignore them until this is all settled.

Because this occurred on private property (a parking lot) and I'm assuming there is no police report, the other party has little to no information necessary to file a lawsuit.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 AM

846 posts, read 1,401,298 times
Thanks all. Just for clarification, he does have our insurance information. We have USAA, they have State Farm and there's no police report (we live in a large urban area that would laugh at calling police over this). Our insurance company has called his and requested everything go through them. We are just emotionally exhausted.

Regarding semantics, we don't even know his deductible (why would we)... so let's say the repair costs $500, our insurance covers $250 (going with the 50/50 that our insurance stated it was), would it be worth suing us for something like that? Do people actually do that? I guess it's just outside our scope of thought to go through the hassle to sue someone for $250--or even $500. We are going to wait to see what happens, but if he truly wants to sue us for $250/$500, wouldn't it be wiser to just pay out to avoid the loss of work, etc?

We've never been in a wreck with someone like this before, so this is all new to us. Heck, we've never even been in an at-fault, or 50/50 accident before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance