Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:15 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You should have. Forty-nine out of fifty states have mandated liability insurance for auto owners for probably as long as fifty years.

Uninsured drivers have no place on our roads or highways. We should be more aggressive about identifying them, penalizing them, and getting them off the roads.
In some parts of the country it's 20% (or more) driving uninsured.

Especially common in areas where the insurance is super high and also where you have a lot of illegals for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:21 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In some parts of the country it's 20% (or more) driving uninsured.

Especially common in areas where the insurance is super high and also where you have a lot of illegals for obvious reasons.
You can get car insurance without a drivers' license. In some states, you can have a driver's license even if you're here illegally.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:50 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
To everyone who interpreted my post as 'no fault insurance' and stating that it is even more expensive I suggest you save some money for a reading comprehension tutor.
I said NO INSURANCE. PERIOD. For poor people who can't afford car insurance - which they often don't have anyway.
Not 'NO FAULT INSURANCE' for people who CAN afford it.
And wealthy people sometimes choose to self-insure, and by that I mean NO INSURANCE also.

Actually I believe the best way to reduce insurance costs of all kinds is tort reform, but since most all politicians are lawyers, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oh yeah, my insurance just went up ~$40 per year using Geico, SoFla, 2016 Lexus, loaded.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:14 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Also remember, it's better to shop around for insurance every 2-3 years. Being loyal to one company will cost you more actually. Auto insurance industry is very competitive so it's good to shop. See below:

https://www.npr.org/2015/05/08/40359...r-can-cost-you
Yeah, the typical profit margins on auto insurance is a few pennies per dollar.

Short of something like operating a nuclear power plant it's one of the most heavily regulated industries in the US where all pricing generally needs to meet state approval before being changed.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:02 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
To everyone who interpreted my post as 'no fault insurance' and stating that it is even more expensive I suggest you save some money for a reading comprehension tutor.
I said NO INSURANCE. PERIOD. For poor people who can't afford car insurance - which they often don't have anyway.
Not 'NO FAULT INSURANCE' for people who CAN afford it.
And wealthy people sometimes choose to self-insure, and by that I mean NO INSURANCE also.

Actually I believe the best way to reduce insurance costs of all kinds is tort reform, but since most all politicians are lawyers, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oh yeah, my insurance just went up ~$40 per year using Geico, SoFla, 2016 Lexus, loaded.
Its ridiculous to suppose that someone like me who pays for car insurance and has done so without interruption for the last forty years should tolerate the presence of uninsured motorists on our highways.

I don't want them or their junk jalopies on the road if they can't purchase some minimum amount of liability coverage to provide for people injured and property destroyed in accidents. If they can't comply with the law than take away their licenses. If they drive without a license than lock them up. IMO they are worse than thieves. There is a limit generally to the harm that thieves do. However, uninsured motorists routinely injure and even kill people who are on the roads, playing by the rules. Make civil judgments against them for the damage they cause in an accident non-dischargable in bankruptcy court. Let it follow them through life until they and others get the message that driving without insurance is a big deal.

You almost act like people don't get badly hurt or killed in car accidents. Forty thousand people a year die in car accidents.

Tort reform would do virtually nothing to help. The real reason accidents are expensive is simply because the number of property damage accidents is increasing and so are body shop bills. Tort reform won't reduce medical bills either. Health care costs are high in America and it has little do with or without tort reform.

Why would anyone in their right mind make excuses for uninsured drivers?

Old 08-15-2018, 03:56 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Rates are based on the experience of the company you are insuring through. If the company you use had lots of claims, their rates go up.

If you ate in a restaurant and the owner told you the cost of food went up and minimum wage went up, you would expect food prices to go up, right?

That's how insurance works. The whole idea is that you reduce your risk by pooling with other customers. If you are not happy with your insurance company, you should check out other companies' rates. Just because one company went up, doesn't mean another's will.

Also, all those companies that advertise new car replacement and accident forgiveness are going to have higher rates because those things cost more, too.
Thanks for the lesson Mr. Insurance.

When I spoke with the agent, his response was similar. As Heathcare and car repairs costs go up, so do the rates.

To your point, that impacts their bottom line so our costs go up. I’ll shop them around in another year or so to insure they’re at least somewhat competitive.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:57 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
When we got our renewal for 2 cars a few months ago it was up $1000 from last year!!! Yes I said ONE THOUSAND dollars in 1 year!! We have never had an accident or a ticket. I figured it was a mistake and called them. They said it was going up because people in the area have made a lot of claims and we have to help pay for them. Are they kidding me??? I called another insurance co and got a quote of less than I was paying before the renewal so I switched. Absoultely crazy!
Time to pick up the phone and call around!

People also forget that insurance rates have a lot to do with your credit. If you have bad credit you could be paying $500+ more than someone with excellent credit! You could have a prefect driving record but if your credit is bad, your rates will be high!

As far as Torte reform.....it wouldn't work for auto insurance because every state has different laws. However, it would work for healthcare, but that's another thread!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Thanks for the lesson Mr. Insurance.
That would be Ms. Insurance.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:36 PM

311 posts, read 194,182 times
I have a good deal of sympathy for the person in Florida who complained about uninsured drivers. In truth, uninsured drivers are most common in CA, TX, and FL. However, in no other state does it pass 5 percent.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think people in those no fault auto insurance states would agree, especially Michigan and Florida!

“Tort State” is the way to go.
No fault is a good idea. It works great. If ou are in an accident, your insurances pays you. No fuss, no muss, not waiting. However it is an expensive luxury.

Still the reason Michigan is the most expensive insurance state is not no fault but the mandatory long terms serious medical/disability coverage. They insurance companies somehow managed to get that passed into law a while back. I am not certain since I was not here, but I heard they got the public to vote for it in an election rather than just buying off some legislators. It is very profitable for the insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance