Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 10:51 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times

Advertisements

I have a hypothetical question. My car was in an accident last year, I hit a deer, the collision shop said the damage was over $5,000 and the insurance company totaled the car. I opted to keep the car and repair it myself. The insurance payout was $5,300, but deducted $1,000 to allow me to keep the car so I got a check for $4,300. It cost me $800 to fix the car myself, I replaced the hood, passenger headlight, condenser, used winch to bend radiator support back in to place, a couple of cans of touchup paint to paint the hood, zip ties and duct tape. Got the car to pass inspection. I've been driving it the last 20,000 miles, I have liability only coverage now.

So if someone damages my car and are found at fault, would their car insurance pay out the value of the car again? While the car has a clean title, it's in the insurance's companies computers they already paid out on the car. If so is it the Kelly blue book value or $1,000 plus repairs minus deprecation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If someone else hits you and is at fault, their liability insurance will cover your damage at the rate of the salvage title, usually 20-40% less than the same car with clean title. Hopefully you neve have to find out, but if KBB is $5,000 for example, the value in your case would be $3,000-$4,000. Then there is the possible attempt by their insurer to blame the accident on the condition of your car.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:12 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I have a hypothetical question. My car was in an accident last year, I hit a deer, the collision shop said the damage was over $5,000 and the insurance company totaled the car. I opted to keep the car and repair it myself. The insurance payout was $5,300, but deducted $1,000 to allow me to keep the car so I got a check for $4,300. It cost me $800 to fix the car myself, I replaced the hood, passenger headlight, condenser, used winch to bend radiator support back in to place, a couple of cans of touchup paint to paint the hood, zip ties and duct tape. Got the car to pass inspection. I've been driving it the last 20,000 miles, I have liability only coverage now.

So if someone damages my car and are found at fault, would their car insurance pay out the value of the car again? While the car has a clean title, it's in the insurance's companies computers they already paid out on the car. If so is it the Kelly blue book value or $1,000 plus repairs minus deprecation?
You would receive whatever the fair market value of the car is. It would have a salvage title and is not worth what a vehicle with an ordinary title is.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You would receive whatever the fair market value of the car is. It would have a salvage title and is not worth what a vehicle with an ordinary title is.
I don’t have a salvage title, I inquired about weather I needed to get one, but the claims adjuster said I didn’t need to. I have the same title as before the accident.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:17 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
I don’t have a salvage title, I inquired about weather I needed to get one, but the claims adjuster said I didn’t need to. I have the same title as before the accident.
That's certainly an advantage but even I, an insurance pro, can't predict what any insurance company would offer under any given set of circumstances.

I suggest you obtain your CLUE report and come back with the results. I may have additional comments.

CLUE is the Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange that insurance companies subscribe to.

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

Old 09-22-2021, 12:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Be careful, a former employee of mine wife went through this when she purchased her total vehicle and held the same clean title. After rebuilding , they went to trade in the vehicle. The dealer would not purchase it as they stated the system shows a branded title. After visiting state motor vehicles, turned out despite everything she was told, a branded e-title was issued on that vehicle. Since she just kept her old title and never checked to see what the State had, she wasn't aware a new title was issued that showed salvage rebuilt on it.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Be careful, a former employee of mine wife went through this when she purchased her total vehicle and held the same clean title. After rebuilding , they went to trade in the vehicle. The dealer would not purchase it as they stated the system shows a branded title. After visiting state motor vehicles, turned out despite everything she was told, a branded e-title was issued on that vehicle. Since she just kept her old title and never checked to see what the State had, she wasn't aware a new title was issued that showed salvage rebuilt on it.
Thanks, but I'm not concerned, I'll drive this car till it doesn't run any more. It's my daily commuter. I purchased a SUV with part of the settlement money, but it costs twice as much to fill the tank to drive the same distance, tires and oil changes are more too. I'm keeping the mileage down on the weekend only use SUV, It's funny I use it maybe once every two weeks, but it's nice having a spare vehicle.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

CLUE is the Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange that insurance companies subscribe to.

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request
Interesting report, they had every address I ever lived at, every property I purchased, who I brought from and who I sold to, but only one accident claim listed, even thou I had at least two other claims for 15+ years ago. interesting to see they care more about a house I owned 20 years ago, but don't care that I had have several accident claims from that long ago. They also pulled some credit info, probably less that it normally would have been, given I have credit freezes for the big three credit agencies.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Your report seems to have more information than I remember. The last time I ordered mine was 2019 and I could order one for auto and one for homeowner.

Looking back over my older CLUE reports it looks like insurance claims only go back 6 or 7 years so your 15+ years old claims wouldn't show.

I just ordered mine and was not asked for a choice. It'll be about two weeks and I'll come back to this thread.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
I have a hypothetical question.
Honestly, this doesn't sound like a hypothetical question to me but more like a calculated question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance