Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,995 times

Advertisements

Yahoo!!! So happy for all of you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:12 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
by lightly rubbing his back and just staying calm myself--that is the hard part but I am getting better. But the Xanax are certainly needed!
That way is nice but doesn't work quickly enough.
This how I learned to do it best.
A person can't concentrate on two things at once so you teach him....and sit in front of him coaching...to count breaths........like 4 inhale, 6 exhale.....
Obviously he wouldn't be counting out loud.
The concentration needed to do this overtakes the panic.
Once he got used to doing it, my husband did it on his own without me.......well...there were times I had to remind him...."Count, count....." but it worked.
Whether or not "pursed lip breathing" matters in your husband's condition or not, I have no idea but you could look it up if it would.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:23 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Good morning friends!
Yes, I have thought about the breathing method but haven't tried it yet. I will next time. Thank you! Last night was better...
My daughter called last night and they are planning on coming out for a visit in the end of June---looks like a busy month for us! I get to see my new grand daughter--YES! And my grand son who has grown into a little man now. I am so excited. Hopefully that doesn't fall through but it is in the planning stages. Money is always an issue as her DH had to fly back to PA. for his aunts funeral last week so that took a chunk out of their vacation money but she said they could maybe still stay a week or so. I'll take whatever time I can get with them!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,149 times
Morning cyn, so very happy to learn that your friend will be visiting you followed by your daughter! Just their presence will give you such a boost.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
Fantastic Amber is coming and you get to meet your new granddaughter and see your grandson they will give you a boost in spirits.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM

Yes and a boost is what I need right now! I feel myself being drained and try so hard to keep my spirits up. What a challenge life is sometimes.......

Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Had to giggle just a bit with the SOB...at first I thought--well, you know, and sometimes that is not to far off! Smile! With to much practice I have learned a little about calming my DH to some degree by lightly rubbing his back and just staying calm myself--that is the hard part but I am getting better. But the Xanax are certainly needed!
I'm sorry, I can't resist this.... you're the SOB Whisperer.......

Seriously, sounds like you do a great job at doing whatever works with your DH, and he responds to your calming and loving touch... seems to me, that as difficult as he can be, and even when he lashing out at you, he still has confidence in you, takes comfort in your presence, and loves you more than anything.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:57 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Good morning friends!
Yes, I have thought about the breathing method but haven't tried it yet. I will next time. Thank you! Last night was better...
My daughter called last night and they are planning on coming out for a visit in the end of June---looks like a busy month for us! I get to see my new grand daughter--YES! And my grand son who has grown into a little man now. I am so excited. Hopefully that doesn't fall through but it is in the planning stages. Money is always an issue as her DH had to fly back to PA. for his aunts funeral last week so that took a chunk out of their vacation money but she said they could maybe still stay a week or so. I'll take whatever time I can get with them!
So glad it was better last night. And so happy your daughter and her family, including your new grandbaby are coming to visit! That's got to cheer you up immensely.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:33 PM

It does, thank you! Something to look forward to. Today I am dealing with DH in another grumpy mood....his son and his wife have decided to join us at the clinic on Friday. We invited him and his wife last month and then we haven't heard anything from them since--not even Happy Mother's Day which really upset my DH. So my DH is not even sure he wants them with us--but I told him to forget the past and let's try to make the best with them coming...meantime it has made for a grumpy DH!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:38 PM

Looks like we have to make a run to Lowes--oh yippee! Just need to make our monthly payment--not sure why but DH would rather spend 3 dollars in gas then 49 cents on a stamp! Guess it does get us out of the house. But really--it's quite warm and I am tired...ugh...oh well here we go. Maybe it will help me get out of this pity potty mood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving