Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times

Advertisements

She may have been told to encourage her husband to be independent. If she had home therapists come over after the first fall, they probably stressed the need to walk more to strengthen the muscles and help the lungs circulate the oxygen to avoid pneumonia and other diseases. They also stressed the need to let hem continue with the daily activities as much as he can for his mental well-being. We tried that. We had a second fall which broke the public bone and required a much longer recovery period of 6 to 9 months. She's now back to where she can use a walker but I have to repeatedly tell her to call me so I can provide gait support and a backup chair. You still have to expect that there will be more falls regardless. At least the wheelchair or the transport chair cuts the distance down to about 12 inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 01:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
Thank you, Ichoro. I'm not sure how he'll be when he gets out of rehab, especially after I spoke to my stepmom today.

Although he doesn't know it yet, my father is going into assisted living after he gets through rehab. My stepmom just can't take it anymore - the falls in the middle of the night, calling 911, sitting in the hospital waiting for news, etc. I can't say I blame her; I'll support any decision she makes. She has been through all kinds of Hell with my dad for the past ten years.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:51 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
Being in assisted living with help him a lot, but I think he can only stay for 90 days on Medicare. Then he would have to start paying from his assets, if he has any. At least that is what happened with my Dad, although if there is a spouse living in the home (which is their case there is), the house would not be included in assets. Each state is different so it's worth looking into to make sure you know ahead of time what to expect.

I was single and living in California when my dad had a massive stroke and had to go to a nursing home for care, tube feeding etc., and he was there for 8 years.

Last edited by loveautumn; 01-03-2015 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 01-03-2015, 04:11 PM

They have some money, but they're certainly not millionaires. He has only 33 covered days left on Medicare; then they're paying. My stepmom is still living in their house, which is fully paid for.

This has me wondering about my own situation in 25 or 30 years... I wonder how much a long term care policy would cost for a 51-year-old female who doesn't smoke?

Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
I know some people who would be admitted for 90 days, then be released back home for awhile and then be readmitted again (if it was necessary). Once the patient leaves the facility, they can go back again and the clock starts over. But as I recall if the patient leaves, the spouse would have to guarantee that he has a certain amount of care (sometimes 24 hours) or they won't release them.

I know what you mean about our own care...I think about it too and I'm a lot older than you are.
At 51 you probably could get a reasonable LT care policy, probably worth looking into. Being around assisted living/nursing homes is a real eye opener unless one can afford one of those luxury facilities, which I sure can't!

Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
Problem with the readmissions is that Medicare is really looking hard at these, especially hospital readmissions. It has been a while but my wife's mother had to sign over her SS and retirement income, giving her a monthly allowance for small stuff after exhausting her bank account.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,401 times
[quote]I wonder how much a long term care policy would cost for a 51-year-old female who doesn't smoke? [quote]

NOT TO HIJAK THE THREAD - JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF COST

Quotes vary by state. I got some for me. some for age 53, others 54. I told my advisor the riders and coverage I wanted -- BUT also keep it to about 200.00 a month. So show me what I can get for that amount.

-- Policies are 3 years, 90 day elimination period (meaning they won't pay for the first 90 days)
-- All pay for at home or facility care -- here are some:
STAND ALONE POLICIES:

AGE....POLICY MAX.....Max Monthly Benefit*..... Inflat Prot.....CASH Benefit.....Monthly Premium
53........160,600.........3,300................... .......3%...............partial...............$211 .71
53........139,200.........2,900................... .......CPI...............none.................$200 .10
53........123,744.........2,578................... .......3%...............partial...............$200 .03
54........219,000.........150 A DAY*..................3%...............none....... ..........$202.45

If my math is correct those work out to about $110, $87, $85 and $150 a day.

LIFE/LTC HYBRIDS: with extended care rider for LTC
AGE......POLICY MAX ....MAX Monthly Benefit........Monthly Premium
54........250,000.............$5,000.............. ..........$250.50
54........250,000.............$4,920.............. ..........$236.00

I hada cousin who wanted coverage at 65. His quotes were more than 300.00 a month.
As of now, I've made the decision to self insure.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Is it possible to employ a full time housekeeper? Cost wouldnt be that much as room and board would be factored in.

Last edited by jambo101; 01-08-2015 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Update:

My stepmom is a wonderful woman, but I don't think she understands that he needs to be in a wheelchair. She hesitates to say or do anything that would threaten his independence and dignity, but maybe this time I can get through to her.

By the way, he's still on the feeding tube although he's able to eat a little bit (not enough for the nutrition he needs).

I'm crossing my fingers that he'll come through the surgery, and that he'll be okay for our visit. I'm afraid that he really needs either full-time care or to be in an assisted living facility. There are no great choices.
This isn't exactly my expertise but ....

Well nobody is going to make him stay in bed or a wheelchair if he doesn't want to. Only pain may work.

The downside is the risk of pressure sores so there's that....

Did they send Home Health Agency people to the house the LAST time? To manage the tube and to continue his rehab/OT and stuff?

He may or may not qualify for an ALF with the tube and depending on his level of mobility so you may need to start shopping around now because they are few and far between IME. OR he'll have to have the HHA come at home if cost is a factor. With the tube you probably have to pay an HHA anyway to go to an ALF to do the feeding/cleaning/monitoring etc.

Assisted Living Care: What to Expect

Old 01-11-2015, 05:35 AM

Runswithscissors, my stepmom and dad did have Home Health Care provide help when my dad was discharged from rehab last time, on December 30th, because my stepmom said although they tried to show her how to flush out the feeding tube, she couldn't manage it.

She has been looking into ALFs and said she found a good one not too far away, but it costs a lot - $5,000/month. They can manage it financially for a while, but not too long.

Apparently my dad is still having some trouble swallowing; all of his food needs to be pureed. That's why he still has the feeding tube, of course.

Thank you for the link; I'll be sure to read it when I have a moment (I'm flying to Florida today, back on Friday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving