Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times

Advertisements

My father passed away on February 10th. My stepmom is doing okay, but of course, she has moments of sadness and grief.

Sometime this year my brother and I are going back to help her clean out the house, and hopefully get her finances and everything set up.

I've recommended that she see an attorney about possibly setting up a living trust, and she definitely needs a new power of attorney! I have a spare key to their house, and I know where everything is (she showed me the financials, etc. when I was there in November).

I'm actually glad that my dad didn't linger too long and that a nursing home was unnecessary, because now my stepmom should be okay financially and will be able to pay as necessary to take care of herself. I'm still going to keep asking her to move out here, or at least sell the house and move into a retirement community so she won't be so isolated and alone (what if she falls?!), but not yet. Her grief is still too new for me to pressure her.

I'm going to insist that she get Life Alert or something similar, though. She's 72, and still doing pretty well, but my dad's first fall was at age 72, so you just never know. When I brought this up to her in November, her response was: "I'm not there yet." We never think we're there until something happens! I don't want her lying there unable to move for three or four days. Who would even notice that she hasn't been out to get the mail, etc.?

I'm a little sad that my dad couldn't recover, but the two falls (one in October and the other on New Year's Eve) so close together simply did him in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 03:34 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,789,447 times
So sorry for your loss . Thank you for sharing and for helping your stepmom out during this difficult time for everyone.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,975 times
I'm sorry to hear about your father. It seems like Life Alert would be a good thing for her to have, if she is willing.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
Thanks for the condolences, HDL and Windwalker2. I'm going to start a new thread about my stepmom after I see her in person again. This thread has pretty much run its course.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times
I also am sorry to hear the news about your dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving