Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:29 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,511 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum for the last few months after we moved my father into an ALF in North Carolina. The advice and guidance has been extremely helpful. Now I have a situation that I would love insight on.

My father moved into an ALF in February. He wasn't happy about but he did it.
I kind of knew we should move him to a different one about a month later because I felt like they weren't giving him the care they should have been and I was being told a couple of lies by the care supervisor.
My dad was against moving so we didn't pursue it.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and the "care nurse" (not associated with the ALF) said he should go to the ER and that if she were the director she would be calling the ambulance. Of course, we agreed and he was sent to the hospital. He was there for a week and is now in a rehab facility where he will be for about 5-6 weeks.

We gave notice to the ALF that he will not be returning. I have asked them for a copy of his medical records and any notes they have so he can have continuity of care.
This is where there has been a little push back. They are saying they have to ask their legal department about it and not returning texts or phone calls.
Has anyone had to get medical records from one of these places and if so, has it been a problem?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:18 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
have an elder care lawyer give them a wakeup call. somebody screwed up bad.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:38 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I never had to move my Mom from her ALF (she was there for 5 years); however, I never had trouble getting access to her health care records either. The nurses were very forthcoming about her treatment, and always discussed matters with me if they planned to recommend, with Mom's doctor's approval, any change in medications for her Alzheimers. I'd be very leery about your Dad's facility being so non-transparent about his medical info. Do you have Medical POA for your father so that they can legally turn the records over to you?

Old 07-14-2017, 05:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
When Hubby moved to a new facility the old place gave everything to the nurse at the new facility as soon as she asked for it. On his last day they gave me his most recent medication chart, and other things, to take with us to the new place.

It sounds sort of "fishy" to me.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:20 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I never had to move my Mom from her ALF (she was there for 5 years); however, I never had trouble getting access to her health care records either. The nurses were very forthcoming about her treatment, and always discussed matters with me if they planned to recommend, with Mom's doctor's approval, any change in medications for her Alzheimers. I'd be very leery about your Dad's facility being so non-transparent about his medical info. Do you have Medical POA for your father so that they can legally turn the records over to you?
This.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:22 PM

482 posts, read 902,441 times
If Dad is still mentally competent I would write a written request signed by him asking for his own medical record. CC a lawyer in the letter if you have one.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:28 AM

422 posts, read 524,085 times
Question: some ALF's have their own onsite nursing services, including rehab, etc. Other's do not but instead contract with an outside service. The first kind would typically have a nursing/rehab wing, while the latter would not. Which kind is your father's ALF?

If they do not provide their own nursing service, they may be proscribed from giving out your father's medical information because it is not their information to share. You may need to get it from the contracted service provided.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:23 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Whenever your parent goes into a facility, be it an ALF or the hospital, have them sign to authorize the nurses and doctors to talk to you. This worked very well for us, without having a POA.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
It's probably that YOU aren't authorized. But they cannot refuse to provide his medical records to HIM or to another medical professional/place. (his rehab).

Every time my ALF clients had to even go to the ER (or doctor appointment) they actually SEND their records on the ambulance/transit/whoever with the resident.

I agree with a letter if your dad is able (you can type it and just have him sign it)...and I'd deliver it in person and by registered mail.

The whole thing's outrageous.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,511 times
Thank you for the replies. My father is still mentally competent. I am not his medical POA (I am just part of the HIPPA waiver) my 2 brothers are. Thankfully one of them lives here in NC and is involved with everything. Funny thing is I asked for his medication and they hand over all of that right away. I didn't have to sign anything.

We moved all of dads stuff out yesterday but his official last day there is the 21st. I did not turn in the keys or the button yet. We are seeing if they are going to handover the records or not. We really feel like they are trying to hid something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving