Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
NO. Gov't pension - you must elect a survivor option - he did not. Another of his brilliant decisions.
Can't he add your mother to it since he's not going to be taken off dialysis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Can't he add your mother to it since he's not going to be taken off dialysis?
Those elections must be made BEFORE one retires. When you elect a survivor benefit, you are electing to receive a smaller annuity payment. That’s what pays for the surviving persons benefit.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:36 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Those elections must be made BEFORE one retires. When you elect a survivor benefit, you are electing to receive a smaller annuity payment. That’s what pays for the surviving persons benefit.
Thanks, I didn't know that

Old 05-24-2019, 10:25 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh no. They are both too dependent on each other...financially and in every other way. Divorce is certainly not a solution. But I will be shocked if he is still alive for his next birthday. I just can’t believe he will last that long. Could he spend more? Sure. But honestly...the house is in our name so he can’t do anything with that. I’d love to take his name off the accounts...but then he would have to rely on my mom to givevhim spending money...and yeah no that’ll never work. LOL.

But I think my brother’s threat will make him think.
I only asked because I do know two different older couples where the wives divorced their husbands, but still lived with them. It was strictly to preserve 1/2 of their joint assets for the wife. One husband is a gambler & the other husband has serious health issues.

Perhaps your brother made an impression. At least he can't borrow against the house.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I only asked because I do know two different older couples where the wives divorced their husbands, but still lived with them. It was strictly to preserve 1/2 of their joint assets for the wife. One husband is a gambler & the other husband has serious health issues.

Perhaps your brother made an impression. At least he can't borrow against the house.
I don't think he would try that...but he might try to sign it over to some lady that promised to have sex with him. Yeah he is just that wacko.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 PM

403 posts, read 221,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Dying of renal failure is a very easy death. You just become unconscious from uremia, and die.
Imagine , if you don't have any kidney function left - fluid has nowhere to go, after it fills up all the cells and space between cells - so much that skin develop blisters and start "weeping". So, then, it fills empty cavities inside your body - abdominal (you develop ascities), lungs (pulmonary edema), heart (pericarditis).

The big belly will be pushing diaphragm up, diminishing lung volume, creating shortness of breath. And, lung volume is already diminished by pulmonary edema (fluid in lungs) - you cannot breathe. And, you cannot go up on oxygen because lungs cannot expand.
Heart with pericarditis (fluid collects between two layers in the heart ), followed by cardiac tamponade and heart cannot contract/pump properly. Hence, oxygen levels will drop, sending you into delirium, hopefully.
In addition, you will have sharp pain from heart linings rubbing against each other.

So, here you are - waiting for your death to come while you cannot breathe, in pain, cannot bend your arms and legs. Your bed sheets are wet from fluid "weeping" through the skin.

Instead of "unconscious from uremia" one can become very confused but alert from high nitrogen levels.
And, this is in addition to all of the above.

It can lasts for weeks. But, one can speed it up by drinking a lot of orange juice. Then, potassium goes up and simply stops the heart.

^^^^^
Very easy death? I don't think so.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:17 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
Imagine , if you don't have any kidney function left - fluid has nowhere to go, after it fills up all the cells and space between cells - so much that skin develop blisters and start "weeping". So, then, it fills empty cavities inside your body - abdominal (you develop ascities), lungs (pulmonary edema), heart (pericarditis).

The big belly will be pushing diaphragm up, diminishing lung volume, creating shortness of breath. And, lung volume is already diminished by pulmonary edema (fluid in lungs) - you cannot breathe. And, you cannot go up on oxygen because lungs cannot expand.
Heart with pericarditis (fluid collects between two layers in the heart ), followed by cardiac tamponade and heart cannot contract/pump properly. Hence, oxygen levels will drop, sending you into delirium, hopefully.
In addition, you will have sharp pain from heart linings rubbing against each other.

So, here you are - waiting for your death to come while you cannot breathe, in pain, cannot bend your arms and legs. Your bed sheets are wet from fluid "weeping" through the skin.

Instead of "unconscious from uremia" one can become very confused but alert from high nitrogen levels.
And, this is in addition to all of the above.

It can lasts for weeks. But, one can speed it up by drinking a lot of orange juice. Then, potassium goes up and simply stops the heart.

^^^^^
Very easy death? I don't think so.
Thats not what happened to my mom.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:17 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I would hope that anyone who decides to stop treatment would go into a hospice program for palliative care for end of life.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Thats not what happened to my mom.
Nor my father. He was sedated adequately by hospice and was responsive and talking until the last day which was less than a week after last dialysis. I agree with above poster to arrange hospice before stopping dialysis.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I would hope that anyone who decides to stop treatment would go into a hospice program for palliative care for end of life.
Well of course - the doctors take care of all that.

But we may be out of this for now. They put him on new depression medication, and it seems to be working.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-27-2019 at 07:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving