Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,754 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have some cats in my backyard. They are street cats. Anyway, I noticed couple of days ago that one of the kittens is extremely hurt and the tail is completely gone. Maybe he was in a fight or something I have no idea. It is just heart breaking to see him without his tail.

I was wondering that if Houston has some service to take care of injured animals.

I live in North West Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
I hope someone answers but in the meantime, try posting on Craigslist, you may get some responses there as well. Good luck in finding help for the poor kitty and thx for caring about it.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 AM

@Honeycrisp,

Thanks! It is just really heart breaking to see the poor kitten. It is not my cat. It is just some random street kitten. I put cat food out for him and his family.

Should I put some anteseptic liquid on his tail (TAIL IS completely gone and flesh is showing). I do not know what to do and don't know how it happened.

SAD!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
The cat was probably run over; I've seen the same happen to a dog. Most vets will rec euth'ing the animal b/c it's quality of life is very low without a tail. Sometimes the spinal cord is injured and sometimes the sphincter muscle has been damaged so that the animal cannot properly void. I would take it to a vet (if you can catch it) and tell them that it is a stray. They will probably put it down, and they may not charge you b/c it is a stray. Otherwise, the cat will probably die naturally (from infection et al.) within a week, which might be better, anyway, given the life it will have if it lives.

I'm so sorry that you have seen this. It is extremely upsetting. I tell people in these situations that the only thing that they can do in the meantime is to comfort and love the animal so that, at the very least, it dies knowing that someone loved it. If you can get your hands on some Wonderdust, that will stop any bleeding and make the injury a little more comfortable as will some antibiotics and pain meds, if you can get your hands on them. Your best bet is a vet.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 AM

@StarlaJane,

Thanks for the response! I know it is SAD! Although the kitten is alive and is in my back yard. It walks and runs kinda okay (not perfect). But the biggest issue is the infection. That wound is totally open and I am certain that it will get infected. Is there some liquid or something that I can put on that wound and the liquid should be something that will not hurt the cat.

IS there any antibacterial thing that will not hurt the cat that I can put on it?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Houston SPCA can be called and they have a 24 hr injured/rescue hotline #.
General # is 713 869-7722
Injured hotline # is 713 880 h-e-l-p
If they can't help you, they will guide you to who can in your area. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times
Life can be so hard at times, and this is one of them. If you can catch the kitten, I advise you to immediately take her it to a vet to humanely put her down. Otherwise that poor baby will die an agonizing death, one of sepsis and horrible pain. Can you just imagine how much agony that kitten is in now with the injuries she has?

Please do right by this baby, and bring her in to be euthanized. Explain to your vet who this cat is and you may not have to pay. I know when I brought in an injured bird, there was no charge. I wish you all the very best luck to be able to get close enough to this kitten in order to catch her.

THANK YOU, SHELBYGIRL1!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM

@ShelbyGirl1,

Just called them and they told me to take it to the VET!! Let me email my brother and ask him to take the cat to the vet and see how much they charge.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 AM

@Garden of Eden,

I do not want to put the kitten down. What if he is okay? What if he can live with some medication or what if his wound will heal?

Thanks,
Azam

Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times
Luv, I don't think you understand the seriousness of the wound. Yet, you may be right and I am wrong. Either way, she needs a vet. Thank you for caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats