Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

Virgin, unrefined coconut oil...rub it into their fur and skin, it will also heal and soothe the bites!
Treating Cat Skin Conditions with Coconut Oil

Here are some other natural treatments you could try...!
Home Remedies for Fleas

Good luck, and I hope you get everything under control soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Where did you get the Frontline? Maybe it was expired or counterfeit or something, it has always worked reliably for me. If you got it somewhere reputable like your vet you could probably get a replacement set applied to them since the first treatment was a dud. If you got it somewhere like an online pharmacy you might try reporting your problems to the manufacturer. They might send you replacement product or coupons although unless they overnight it that might be too little too late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I bought the stuff at Pet Club, which is a discount pet store chain... I've been going there forever, and never had a problem with any of their products. Petco charges over $60 for a three-pack, and Pet Club only charges $35 - but I doubt they'd sell anything counterfeit or expired, even at those awesome prices.

Actually its quite likely that what you bought is expired, or bogus. Frontline sells to veterinarians only. You buy it anywhere else, there is no guarantee you are getting what you pay for. And Merial probably will not honor a claim, since you did not buy it from a vet.

You really should check your vet's prices on flea treatments, and other vets in your area. You might be surprised.

My vet undersells on-line pet supply places by $5, they check daily, because they want their clients to buy the real, safe, thing. In addition, when you buy from the vet you get the manufacturer's promotion which is one vial free when you buy a six pack. 7 for the price of six.

And you have the peace of mind of knowing that what you put on your pets is genuine and safe.

This goes for Advantage and Revolution products also. They sell only to vets.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
And please....please, check with your vet before putting Advantage or any other flea product that is labeled for dogs on your cats! I'm looking at the K9 Advantix...and it is very explicit about never to be used on cats. Best to check with your vet first.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I have 3 cats and a dog, and they all got fleas this summer... so I treated them with Frontline (Frontline Plus for the dog) a few weeks ago, but they're still itching like crazy! I can see live fleas crawling on the cats, so clearly this treatment didn't do any good. I've never had to treat more than once per infestation (which doesn't happen often in our climate), so I'm wondering what happened? And when should I do another round? Worried the second treatment won't work, and this costs mucho dinero when I treat all four critters.
After re reading I am wondering why you didn't use the frontline plus for the cats too?

to clarify, I mean:you used frontline plus for dogs to treat your dog, but regular frontline for cats for the cats, right?

Regular frontline kills only the adult fleas. Frontline plus kills all life stages of the flea (including eggs), effectively breaking the flea life cycle.

As shelbygirl said be sure to use the proper formula, frontline plus for dogs on the dog, and frontline plus for cats one the cat.

But yes, you will have to wait the full 30 days before applying again.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
And please....please, check with your vet before putting Advantage or any other flea product that is labeled for dogs on your cats! I'm looking at the K9 Advantix...and it is very explicit about never to be used on cats. Best to check with your vet first.
Yes, this. And in fact K9 Advantix should not even be used at all in households where there are cats, it is that toxic to cats, a kitty just brushing up against a dog after he has been treated with advantix is enough to poison the cat.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:57 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
how and where will I move 20+ snakes??

Geez... I thought we had a lot of animals!

All I can say about Orange Guard was just after it was delivered I took it out, sprayed a mound (muttering "die you little feckers" I admit ) and *poof* - dead ant mound. Then I sprayed a scorpion - dropped deader than a very dead thing while I danced a happy dance at its untimely demise.

All in all, I had a great time.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, this. And in fact K9 Advantix should not even be used at all in households where there are cats, it is that toxic to cats, a kitty just brushing up against a dog after he has been treated with advantix is enough to poison the cat.
Well...I wouldn't go that far. My vet prescribed it for Dylan...and he is very well aware of our cats. In fact, have used it on and off ( I switch every once in awhile) for years and have never had a cat poisoned yet. And believe me, my cats and dog(s) are close.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post

Geez... I thought we had a lot of animals!

All I can say about Orange Guard was just after it was delivered I took it out, sprayed a mound (muttering "die you little feckers" I admit ) and *poof* - dead ant mound. Then I sprayed a scorpion - dropped deader than a very dead thing while I danced a happy dance at its untimely demise.

All in all, I had a great time.

LOL...You crack me up!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM

153 posts, read 520,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Actually its quite likely that what you bought is expired, or bogus. Frontline sells to veterinarians only.
I know their website claims this, but Frontline is available both online and in-store at Costco locations.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
I have 3 cats and a dog, and they all got fleas this summer... so I treated them with Frontline (Frontline Plus for the dog) a few weeks ago, but they're still itching like crazy! I can see live fleas crawling on the cats, so clearly this treatment didn't do any good. I've never had to treat more than once per infestation (which doesn't happen often in our climate), so I'm wondering what happened? And when should I do another round? Worried the second treatment won't work, and this costs mucho dinero when I treat all four critters.

I'm also wondering if I should bomb the house, because I'm afraid they're all over now... although we have hardwood floors throughout, which makes me wonder where they're living. Plus there's a problem with flea-bombing, as I have a large collection of snakes that can't be moved - at least not without some major hassle. Would they be safe if I treated every other room, and just shut the door to their room (my bedroom) for 24 hours? And if I did that, would fleas make their way back to the other areas? Any tips would be appreciated, because we're ALL getting pretty itchy here.
I think that cats (and fleas) get immune to Front line. Get some Capstar. that stuff works miracles.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats