Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid we had a cat that once dragged home a rabbit. It (the rabbit) was nearly dead and my father finished it off with a shovel. My mother did not cook it, however. At least she said she didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
Being an animal lover, I cringed at the thought of killing a severely maimed cat. One of our cats was terribly ripped apart by one of our own dogs. It broke my heart to do it, but no vet for 30 miles and a sunday. It had to be done.
It is good that you were able to prevent wasting the meat. What's done is done. Cookie killed it, but the meat didn't go to waste.
Poor wise wabbit
What I have difficulty understanding is why people who own dogs that kill cats, get cats?!?!?! You didn't know your own dogs? We didn't have a cat for years when we had the 3 dogs. Two of these dogs would kill anything smaller than themselves, other than another dog. Yes, they were kept fenced in a large area and never allowed to roam the neighborhood.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,039,432 times
You're far braver than me Garden! I would have cried after finding Mr. Wise Rabbit and then I would've buried him.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:41 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
When I was a kid we had a cat that once dragged home a rabbit. It (the rabbit) was nearly dead and my father finished it off with a shovel. My mother did not cook it, however. At least she said she didn't.
My childhood cat used to bring home rabbits that were almost as big as she was -- and devoured nearly every morsel. No way would she have let my dad anywhere near her catch -- shovel or no!

Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 PM

My cat was more into the thrill of the hunt. She was one to kill birds and put them on the doorstep. She'd also kill a squirrel every now and then and give us that as well. They were usually just dead, not half eaten.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:23 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
You're far braver than me Garden! I would have cried after finding Mr. Wise Rabbit and then I would've buried him.
What I didn't write, but I will now, is that I did cry when I first saw Cookie with Mr. Wise Rabbit in her mouth. My heart just about fell to my shoes. Tears poured down my face, for this was a "friend" who I had enjoyed seeing all summer long.

Many are those here who think it silly to cry over a rabbit. I think that is why I didn't write it at first, to avoid ridicule. But, thanks to Ouijee, I know there is at least ONE here who would have cried. And so I will not be quiet about the fact, that yes, I cried. And loudly! I didn't care who heard me.

And because of my love for Cookie, I just KNEW how much she wanted to eat the meat. Yeah, years past I would have buried the rabbit. Now I have gotten to a point I can actually clean and grind an animal who I knew.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM

We once lived near a wooded area and a rabbit would hop in our backyard occasionally, although we never got close to it without it hopping off, usually when my then two year old would scream "Bunny rabbit" and run toward it.

While it wasn't a true pet, I can see how it getting killed would be upsetting, especially if your cat was the killer.

I don't think I'd grind it uo and serve it, though. But I'm not a hunter, either.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
What I didn't write, but I will now, is that I did cry when I first saw Cookie with Mr. Wise Rabbit in her mouth. My heart just about fell to my shoes. Tears poured down my face, for this was a "friend" who I had enjoyed seeing all summer long.

Many are those here who think it silly to cry over a rabbit. I think that is why I didn't write it at first, to avoid ridicule. But, thanks to Ouijee, I know there is at least ONE here who would have cried. And so I will not be quiet about the fact, that yes, I cried. And loudly! I didn't care who heard me.

And because of my love for Cookie, I just KNEW how much she wanted to eat the meat. Yeah, years past I would have buried the rabbit. Now I have gotten to a point I can actually clean and grind an animal who I knew.

GOE, I would have cried too and I would have been very upset. But I know it is their nature to hunt for food. As a vegan, I wouldn't have been able to "grind" up the rabbit, it would gross me out too much, since I have not handled any type of meat (except canned cat food of course) in over 20 years... but heck, he was dead, so if you could feed him to Cookie, good for you!
Guess another reason why my cats stay indoors... they can't kill anyone here, except each other, LOL!

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Guess another reason why my cats stay indoors... they can't kill anyone here, except each other, LOL!
Oh, believe me, I would love to bring her indoors on a permanent basis! Cookie, that is. BUT, she is "technically" my next door neighbor's barn cat, and they are "technically" the owners. Yes, I am Cookie's "Mom", but still, reality is reality.

Besides all this, Cookie is a free spirit, unlike I have ever seen, except for her sister, Junie, who past away last March. Bringing her in on a full time basis would slowly kill her spirit.

I am what you would classify as being in between a hard place and a hard rock. I do my best, and that is all I can do.

And regarding, Mr. Wise Rabbit, I really believe there was consent for the "kill", between he and Cookie. And what I saw when I gutted him only confirmed my belief. Both his intestines AND HIS BLADDER were full. You would think, upon fear of death, both would have let go. At least, that is what I have seen with other "kills". But, to see his bladder full, totally blew me away.

Do we really know??? I don't think so. And it is so amazing to discover new things......hmmmmmm........

Old 08-27-2010, 06:17 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Many are those here who think it silly to cry over a rabbit. I think that is why I didn't write it at first, to avoid ridicule.
It certainly isn't silly. It is a living creature, and I would have cried for sure too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats