Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
the most common problem attributable to diarrhea and lethargy is probably tape worms. Scooting is another symptom. Go to wal mart and get de-worming pills. They will be about $20.
Deworming pills at Walmart? I don't think so!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
the most common problem attributable to diarrhea and lethargy is probably tape worms. Scooting is another symptom. Go to wal mart and get de-worming pills. They will be about $20.
My gosh, please do NOT give your cat de worming pills from walmart, they are not safe. (and probably don't work)

De-worming products should come from the vet, only.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My gosh, please do NOT give your cat de worming pills from walmart, they are not safe. (and probably don't work)

De-worming products should come from the vet, only.
i agree, the OP should take her cat to a vet. but who knows if that will happen. not everyone can afford $150 when their cat has diarrhea.

in the mean time wal mart sells these
Walmart.com: Cat Tape Worm Tabs, 3-Pack: Cats

and if it is just worms that will do the trick. tape worms are common and dealing with them is simple. and if the cat doesn't have worms, they won't help but they won't hurt either. better than doing nothing imo

Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
and if it is just worms that will do the trick.
And if not, it could make the cat even more sick.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:49 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,489 times
Thanks everyone for your replies! I did call a vet and they said to take away her food and just give her water for 12-16 hours and if it continues then bring her in. I followed the vet's advice and she is doing MUCH better. The diarrhea has stopped and she is moving around more. I'm going to give her until Monday and if she gets worse I will have my parents take her to a vet we found that is affordable. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
i agree, the OP should take her cat to a vet. but who knows if that will happen. not everyone can afford $150 when their cat has diarrhea.

in the mean time wal mart sells these
Walmart.com: Cat Tape Worm Tabs, 3-Pack: Cats

and if it is just worms that will do the trick. tape worms are common and dealing with them is simple. and if the cat doesn't have worms, they won't help but they won't hurt either. better than doing nothing imo
Those things are NOT safe. Please, do not use OTC de-worming medicines on your cat. They are not safe and probably are not very effective, so you waste your money and may end up with a bigger vet bill besides.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! I did call a vet and they said to take away her food and just give her water for 12-16 hours and if it continues then bring her in. I followed the vet's advice and she is doing MUCH better. The diarrhea has stopped and she is moving around more. I'm going to give her until Monday and if she gets worse I will have my parents take her to a vet we found that is affordable. Thanks!
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. Is she spayed?

Diarrhea can be caused by hair ball problems too, (I have a cat who gets dreadfully sick from ingested hair) so you might want to start dosing her with some laxatone or other hair ball remedy twice a week.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Those things are NOT safe. Please, do not use OTC de-worming medicines on your cat. They are not safe and probably are not very effective, so you waste your money and may end up with a bigger vet bill besides.
1. You've provided no evidence for your supposition that they're unsafe. Any chance your problem with politics of walmart is clouding your judgment at the expense of animals?

2. You've presumed that ordinary medicines are restricted throughout the country. Farming communities often sell rabies vaccinations, standard vaccinations like 4-1 shots etc, to anyone in need of them not obliging them to have a license for common sense. Contrast that with my state which requires that I hire a vet for the privilege of getting a flea treatment called revolution because it has heart wormer involved. My feed and seed store is prohibited from carrying it and the minimum price for a dose is about $15 on econo packs once you've paid the vet his fee. Unless I shop in canada for pet meds where no prescription is required... Canadian Pharmacy|Canada Pharmacy|Canadian Drugs|Canadian Pharmacy Online $9 per dose no shipping and handling.

Recently I've had to pay for a full blown office visit to justify getting a refill on gentmicin eye drops because this vet wasn't the originator of a lifelong diagnosis- suspected herpes in the eye bringing on regular bouts of conjunctiva. I've got to twiddle my fingers, wait for symptoms that coincide with office hours, risk contagion to myself and my other immune compromised cat, have the animal suffer without meds scratching at his eye so it appears dramatic enough to satisfy their lame requirement. Insult to injury I was charged a $17 consultation fee for what I already paid for and already knew as fact. All this because it's being considered a controlled substance. Once upon a time some evil kid used ket as a date rape drug so naturally we ought to throw up roadblocks for eye drops and flea treatments. How many people do you know are abusing eye drops for crimminy sake?

This is how ham handed gov't regulations & rapacious capitalism gang up on people and wind up being the worst deterrent for animal wellbeing and amplify the cost 5 fold, if not more. Making it too hard for people to do the right thing, especially when they're of limited means, reduces the likelihood the right thing will happen even when it's what they most want to do. The people in my state have a median income of about 31k. This is the nonsense they're subjected to. It's a good thing I can cross the state line to South Carolina, and I often do, to stock up on underground contraband like wormer paste. Think about it.

As for the other poster encouraging people to dump sick animals onto rescue groups !--
How many healthy animals are euthanized daily for the crime of not getting a home fast enough? How many more will be euthanized if you tack on the nonsense requirement that only wealthy people may have pets? What's most needful is reasonable cost (even for human medicine) but my own rude experience: vet #2 saw nothing wrong with charging me $60 + office visit fee for a requisite bortadella shot prior to day surgery neutering (which FYI costs $80 for 25 doses, the safer intranasal version priced much higher is $5 a dose... Amazon.com: Protex - Bb - (Intranasal Vaccine) Avirulent - 25 Dose Package: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00061MVKU/ref=asc_df_B00061MVKU1238174?smid=AV9AW5IE9W42P&ta g=shopzilla_mp_1306-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0006 1MVKU - broken link)). Then- insult to injury yet again- he charged me $80 + office visit fee for some other mysterious injection of steroids to cure my kitten of kennel cough contracted through the obligatory &^%$#@* vaccine, a gift from a nameless boy wonder who convinced an industry it prevents disease. Any facility (bordering or vet hospital) now requires this as a hoop to jump through to obtain care/ address the chief complaint. Dog bites? He's in shock, we need to keep him overnight, so you have to give him a bortadella shot as condition of help. Sick animals are sickened more as byproduct of our warped brand of civilization through policy. That's how the <alleged> humane society makes a cosmic joke of itself.

Still wonder why so many don't bother to spay or neuter? There's a great program here called the big fix twice a year that's been utterly ruined by conditional caveat legislation & unmitigated parasitic greed. Neutering is $15, spaying is $25 & cherry on top it provides field training for students. However, when the local policy requires 3 shots and it coincides with elevated price tags (rabies goes from $25 to it's new price of $40, tax tag and destination charges apply) and choose not to believe you gave them flea medicine so meds x's 2 plus premium attached? Screening for feline aids/leukemia is as high as $75, $55 if they're doing you a favor. Compare that to this... Amazon.com: Assure FeLv Feline Leukemia Virus Antigen Test Kit 25 tests: Kitchen & Dining. How can they in good conscience, when professionals concur epidemic conditions are on the ground among strays, justify $75? There's far too much money to be made with regulations/ policies as they currently are on the books. It's very damaging to vet/ owner relationships. If I didn't find a decent vet soon I was planning on leaning exclusively on homeopathic remedies because my trust in the very profession was that badly damaged. I won't rule out those homeopathic remedies even though I did find a decent vet because I cannot walk into that office without a minimum bill of $75 for the dozen strays I'm trying to help out.
I can assure you both, and any other like minded posters reading this blog- making my life more difficult will yield a decrease in my ability to offer meaningful help to many animals in need of assistance gravitating to my yard who've chronically been ignored. Best you rethink the approach of poorly authored regulations. That's the real culprit amplifying needless suffering, so it's high time you redirect your grievances where it truly belongs.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:32 AM

What do I care about walmart? NO OTC anti parasite treatments for cats are safe, and I would not risk my own cats with them, and will continue to advise others the same.

I don't need to provide "proof" to you. Anyone can find anything they want to prove on the internet, so it's meaningless. Do your own searches and find out how many cats have been killed or disabled when people tried to "save money" by avoid going to the vet. The money they saved by using cheap OTC crap is nothing compared to what they spent at the vet trying to save their cat afterward.

When my cats are sick I take them to the vet, not play guessing games and follow advice from random people on the internet.

That's too bad that you feel inconvenienced that you are being forced to provide proper care to your cat. Why would a vet risk his or her license prescribing a medication to a pet they've never seen? Vet bills and health care and inconvenience are part of having pets.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-05-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
I have to say Catsmom21 is absolutely right here. I wouldn't purchase OTC medicine for myself at Walmart therefore I wouldn't for my cats either. There was only one time, when I didn't know any better, I had a cat who got really bad diarrhea. It was constant and I remember it was only diarrhea nothing else that was pink or red. The first time I gave her a small piece of Imodium for diarrhea with gas that make her vomit. The next time, after waiting nearly to the next day, she was exhausted and I could see how miserable she was. I then took a chance and gave her a half of the tiny Imodium pill I had for people. It was such a small piece I looked like it would be for a tiny fly. I used the regular Imodium not the one that included gas problems. Well the diarrhea stopped and she looked so happy. She came up to me making her little sounds rubbing against me so happy and she drank a lot of water then took a long time bathing herself then slept straight through for almost 2 days.

If I had to do it all over again knowing that I was just plain lucky the Imodium didn't kill her or make her worse I would have done what catsmom21 advises and got her to the vet immediately. Truthfully thought I think if she did have something pinkish coming out I would have freaked and got her to the vet right away or searched for an affordable one, made arrangements to make affordable payments to a reputable vet instead of self medicating. I was lucky it was just plain diarrhea and not a symptom of something else. She is long gone now and I have two sweet little one's now I make sure they well taken care of. Vet bills mean nothing to me when it comes to caring for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats