Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about a hot stove as long as you don't leave the kitchen unattended while cooking. You don't want to cat proof your house so I can't think of any thing else to offer. Cats like to be on high surfaces it's just in their "nature". I've had cats for 40 years and no two are alike. I've had ones who show no interest in the counters and others who are obsessed with them. It's unfair to expect this cat to behave like any previous cats you've had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
Agree with ouijeewoman.

I have one other comment. Cats, will respond to positive reinforcement much better then punishment. God, I HATE that word! Discipline is an entirely better choice of words. Yes, cats need discipline, but with the right tools and right attitude (loving) on the caretaker's part. Yes, cats are trainable. And no, you just cannot expect this new kitten to act like your other cats, for no 2 cats are alike, just as with the human species.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Our family got a cat back in September, and it's taken until now, but she is getting this habit where she jumps up on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. She jumped into our Christmas Tree the other day and broke some 120 year old ornaments, along with almost breaking a very expensive die-cast car that was on the top of my dresser earlier today. That's along with the kitchen table, counter, workbenches in the basement, etc. I've sprayed her with a water bottle and have started patting her on the rear (not hard, but to let know she did something wrong), but it's not helping. We have had a cat for the most of 20 years, and she's the first to not respond to punishment.

Any advice?
It's a cat. Your expectations may be unrealistic. Cats, like people, have a wide variety of personalities. Sounds like you got yourself a live wire.

Age may be a factor. Adolescent cats and kittens can be pretty rowdy but they nearly always calm down when they get older. The best cat I ever had (and still have) was an absolute psycho when he was a kitten, even after neutering. Now he's an obedient lap cat and babysitter.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
try adding a couple of tablesppons of white vinegar to your squirt bottle..they HATE the smell more than the shock of the water (and in such heavy dilution it wont damage anythign.) id also folow it up with a quick sharp sounding NO or Ah-Ah.

you can also get a product called a "scat mat" but thats more of a physical solution rather than a training solution.

i wouldnt swat at her/even a light tap as it generally leads more to sneaky misbehaving
cats hold grudges...(anyone that tells you different never llived with a cat lol)

and keep in mind, high places and TREES are almost as wonderfull to a cat as things dangling from high places and trees!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Our family got a cat back in September, and it's taken until now, but she is getting this habit where she jumps up on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. She jumped into our Christmas Tree the other day and broke some 120 year old ornaments, along with almost breaking a very expensive die-cast car that was on the top of my dresser earlier today. That's along with the kitchen table, counter, workbenches in the basement, etc. I've sprayed her with a water bottle and have started patting her on the rear (not hard, but to let know she did something wrong), but it's not helping. We have had a cat for the most of 20 years, and she's the first to not respond to punishment.

Any advice?
Punishing cats by swatting them isn't going to work well with all of them. I could make them fearful of you. Also, knowing you had a cat why put out such expensive things where she can knock them over or break them? We have all shatterproof orniments on our Xmas tree. Expensive knickknacks were put away when we got the cats last year.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
ybe
Quote:
Cat proofing our house is out of the question. We have tons of hobby stuff like RC planes, die-casts, a train layout etc. Too much to fit in one room and throwing that stuff away.......not gonna happen. Plus, I'm not only worried about stuff getting broken, I'm also worried about her jumping on stuff like the stove or up on a counter when someone has a knife, and none of us are a big fan of her rubbing her butt on the table we eat at lol.

I know cats are curious, but I'm not gonna let the cat make the rules. Just sayin'.
Maybe a cat isn't right for you. Perhaps a small dog that stays on the floor would be more suitable. Cats will be cats and you can't change their nature. One of my three is into and onto everything. Another is so good she never does anything irritating or "wrong." She's the perfect pet. The third cat is different again but he's learning. They all have very different personalities, just like dogs, people, monkeys, parrots.........

Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
try adding a couple of tablesppons of white vinegar to your squirt bottle..they HATE the smell more than the shock of the water (and in such heavy dilution it wont damage anythign.) id also folow it up with a quick sharp sounding NO or Ah-Ah.

OH DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT PUT VINEGAR IN WATER TO SQUIRT AT A CAT EVER! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???? HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF SOMEONE SQUIRTED WATER WITH A HEAVY DOSE OF VINEGAR IN IT AT YOU?

DO YOU HAVE PROOF THAT VINEGAR DOES NOT HURT A CAT???? YOU TALK ABOUT A CAT AS THOUGH IT WERE AN INANIMATE THING!

THIS IS A LIVING CREATURE WITH A HEART BEAT AND EMOTIONS AND A BRAIN! WHY DO YOU TREAT A CAT AS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS CLEANING???!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM

216 posts, read 829,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post

OH DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT PUT VINEGAR IN WATER TO SQUIRT AT A CAT EVER! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???? HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF SOMEONE SQUIRTED WATER WITH A HEAVY DOSE OF VINEGAR IN IT AT YOU?

DO YOU HAVE PROOF THAT VINEGAR DOES NOT HURT A CAT???? YOU TALK ABOUT A CAT AS THOUGH IT WERE AN INANIMATE THING!

THIS IS A LIVING CREATURE WITH A HEART BEAT AND EMOTIONS AND A BRAIN! WHY DO YOU TREAT A CAT AS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS CLEANING???!!!

------
Can't rep you...have to spread more reps first...

Old 12-23-2010, 12:21 PM

216 posts, read 829,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
ybe

Maybe a cat isn't right for you. Perhaps a small dog that stays on the floor would be more suitable. Cats will be cats and you can't change their nature. One of my three is into and onto everything. Another is so good she never does anything irritating or "wrong." She's the perfect pet. The third cat is different again but he's learning. They all have very different personalities, just like dogs, people, monkeys, parrots.........
Can't rep you either...have to search for more to rep first...

Old 12-23-2010, 12:45 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Dogs are supposed to stay on the floor?! Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
ybe

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats