Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM

41 posts, read 82,396 times

Advertisements

We us a spray bottle for when our cat gets on the kitchen table and counters....thats the only thing that trained him to not get into things either...it works...be consistent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times
We have two spray bottles, one in the family room and one in the kitchen just for emergencies. It's a deterrent for the cat and dog fights only. After spending $400 on one eyeball, we went with the spray bottles as directed by the e-vet. (The eyeball is healing very well BTW.) Other than that, we never use them on anyone. My cat also knows the word "NO!" when she thinks she can jump on the hot stove.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am not an advocate of corporal punishment for children, or animals...but a judicious spanking may sometimes be appropriate. Pierre once bit the baby...and he was severely spanked on his lil' cat bootie...he never bit the baby again.
If Pierre was mine and bit the baby, Pierre would be a gone kitty cat! Let somebody that didn't have a baby take him. And I don't think I'd use a squirt of water or anything like that to let him know he did the wrong thing!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
When I was growing up my parents used this technique on me, to great effect.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Squirting the cat, clapping, snapping, all of that can work - while you are present. But while you are asleep, and while you are at work, your cats will be everywhere you don't want them to be.

Cat jumps on counter. You squirt cat. Cat learns a lesson. But the lesson is, "My human will squirt me if he sees me on the counter." What you want cat to learn is, "The counter is a scary/unpleasant place to be." (I lined mine with empty cans and plastic bottles. Cat jumped up; was frightened by cans and bottles falling; problem solved. It didn't have anything to do with me in the cat's mind - she just decided the counter was not somewhere she wanted to be. Some people use double-sided tape and get the same result.)

For our laundry closet and for a cabinet they were able to open, we used child locks.

There's a spray you can get for your curtains, furniture, and special "scratching spots" on the carpet. Just be sure you have the kind of scratching posts your cats like, as they don't all have the same preferences. Our cats like the carpet-covered kind, and one cat will only scratch on horizontal surfaces (ever since the scratching post fell on her).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats