Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM

135 posts, read 437,581 times

Advertisements

Excellent link- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
If you want advice from a Vet, this site will be VERY helpful:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM

18,095 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I feed an 80% wet and 20% dry diet.

For canned I use a few: Trader Joe's Turkey & Giblets, Halo Spot's Stew, and Wellness. So far the Halo food is the most preferred by far.

For dry: I use Taste of the Wild Rocky Mtn Feline

Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 PM

135 posts, read 437,581 times
I've never fed Lucy only dry food, she usually got one bowl of wet food, and the other of dry food a day, which to be honest she never really wanted to eat, unless was starving. I know she was really hungry, when she was following me around, and meowing really loud. Its a great link- I read most of it, and will decrease dry food, and give her more of raw food- raw chicken breast/ ground meat, and canned food.
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
I've been feeding my cat Natural Balance wet and dry food since the day I got him (2006). I believe according to my research back then it was the healthiest available (and affordable) option. I'm not familiar with Wellness.
My cat gets 1/3 can of wet food in the morning (he can't eat more than that at once) for breakfast and dry food for lunch and dinner. He loves his food (salmon and pea can food looks and smells so delicious, I don't blame him ).

Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
My cats get 100% canned food. I used to feed dry, but switched to canned last year. I didn't even have a problem with the transistion, just put the wet food down and my cats were all over it. I donated the last of my dry food to a few rescues here in town. Have also donated several cans of food, when my cats decided they didn't like it.

It took awhile, but my cats love the avoderm and by nature canned foods. But only the pate ones. The kitten is eating Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul and will be transitioned to whichever brand (as long as it isn't a junky one) he prefers when he's old enough for adult food.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I've never seen cats that didn't love canned food. Yet the two I've got now don't eat it. They like the routine of getting their little forkful. They'll lick it for a bit to get some of the juicy stuff off it. Then they leave it. I've tried that high end Blue stuff, Newmans Own, Iams. I think I gave them some grocery store brand once and they seemed to like that best of course but still not like most cats. Just weird.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Ruby came to me as an adult cat who had lived in a shelter where they only had kibble & I just can not get her to try wet food. In fact, she really only likes those treats which , I guess, is like eating cake all day every day.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Our five-year-old neutered male is on a grain-free regimen of mostly canned food with a tiny (like one tablespoon-full) bit of dry as a bedtime snack, and his health, weight and energy levels have improved significantly since he started it.

For canned food, he gets Nature's Variety Instinct, a grain-free 95% protein product that comes in six flavors. I get all six and rotate them so he won't get too fixated on any one flavor, in case they ever discontinue the one he likes. He gets 1/4 can mixed with two or three tablespoons-full of water morning and evening. I add the water and mix it to make a sort of slurry, because he's one of those cats who has no sense of thirst and never goes to the water bowl, so this is the way I make sure he's getting enough fluids to keep his urinary tract healthy.

His bedtime snack (which he gets at my bedtime, to keep him from sitting on my chest at 3:00 a.m. complaining about how ravenous he is) is about one tablespoon-full of Nature's Variety dry kibble, which is also a grain-free high-protein variety. He really doesn't like it all that much, but will nibble at it to keep body and soul together until about 5:30 or so, which is when he starts importuning me for breakfast.

For treats, we use Wild Side dehydrated salmon nuggets, and let me just tell you, that cat will climb me like a tree to get to them if he sees me opening the cabinet where they're kept. They're nothing but raw freeze-dried salmon chunks, and they stink to heaven, but according to Finn, they are THE BEST TREAT EVAH and he would like us to keep him on a steady diet of those and nothing else. He gets three or four after breakfast and supper, and he gets so excited about them that the ridge of hair down his spine stands straight up when he's munching on them.

Based on our experience, if you have problems with your cat being excessively gassy, try switching to grain-free foods. Finn's toots were horrific enough to bring tears to your eyes, and he has been known to clear an entire house-full of people on a sub-zero January day when he really got going, but he seldom if ever toots on his grain-free diet.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalena1 View Post
What do you feed your cats?
Which food would you prefer- dry food/ wet/ canned food/ or raw diet? What companies are the best/ worst?
Explain your choice please.
We feed our cats Purina One...we've had good luck with it....we were feeding them Cat Chow, but then our one cat started having runny poop, so we switched to Purina One and the problem was solved....so we stuck with it.

We also feed our dog Purina One, and he has done well on it. It has better ingredients and more real meat than other brands, without being quite as expensive as some of the premium brands.

Canned food we rarely feed. Once in a long while, a can of Fancy Feast as a treat. We do give them some Temptations treats fairly regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats