Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have some boundaries on pet health, and believe that after a $1000 in vet bills, if a pet is ill or has a major problem...sorry, that would mean time for the "rainbow bridge" and I can get another pet.

This is our sweeeeeet boy, Leonard. Due to feeding dry kibble, he had a medical emergency a few years ago. The initial visit to the emergency room, plus the follow-up with our regular vet, cost a tad over $1000.00. I'd pay it again in a nano second. We are far from filthy rich, but the dollar amount we are willing to spend on our pets' care depends on the ENTIRE situation, not just the dollar amount. We couldn't "just get another" sweet Leonard. He isn't replaceable.

Last edited by Lola4; 03-05-2011 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Lola, I feel the same way. Glad that your sweet Leonard is ok

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post

This is our sweeeeeet boy, Leonard. Due to feeding dry kibble, he had a medical emergency a few years ago. The initial visit to the emergency room, plus the follow-up with our regular vet, cost a tad over $1000.00. I'd pay it again in a nano second. We are far from filthy rich, but the dollar amount we are willing to spend on our pets' care depends on the ENTIRE situation, not just the dollar amount. We couldn't "just get another" sweet Leonard. He isn't replaceable.
Sorr about your boy... but wondering if you had insurance would you have saved money?

I don't know what to do get insurance or not for my indoor siamese cat

Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Well, I understand, but everyone has a different limit. I worked with a woman who spent over $20,000 on her dog in vet bills until she finally put him down. She had the resources for that. I don't even know what pet insurance covers, but I wonder at what point they stop? Also would it cover eye surgery? Cataract surgery? Expensive, ongoing medication?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:19 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
Sorr about your boy... but wondering if you had insurance would you have saved money?

I don't know what to do get insurance or not for my indoor siamese cat
Had I been educated about dry kibble not being an appropriate diet for felines... I would have saved money and Leonard a life-threatening illness!

For me, I don't think the insurance premiums for 2 dogs and 7 cats (ages 2 to 11) would out weigh any medical costs... long term.

BUT if a person sees a need for pet insurance, can afford it, and the insurance people don't tell the pet owner they have to see a particular vet... go for it!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
same here.
we do however, have an emergency fund (ie savings account LOL) set aside just for the animals. We find putting $25 a month aside easy- we never miss the money- and heaven forbid something horrible happened, theres several thousand dollars in it to help cover the expenses.
Great idea!!!
That's my take on it, too (including human ins) - instead of paying HUGE money for insurance, then deductibles, the co-pays, and STILL having to worry about what will be covered - if one can set up automatic deductions from paycheck directly into such special "emergency" fund, fairly soon there will be enough to cover even more serious emergencies like minor surgeries, etc... It will be your own "insurance" with YOUR rules!!!

Just be sure to NOT use that fund for ahything other that it was intended to!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
It's like health insurance for people; the older the individual the more costly and the less it will cover.

Some years ago while working for an insurance company (for people) I consulted an Actuary about a pet health insurance policy I was looking at for my very healthy seven-year old meezers. He looked at it and told me it would be a waste of money. There were too many old-age problems the insurance wouldn't cover.

I didn't buy it. If anyone is considering a policy for their pet, please read the contract carefully.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i used to have pet health insurance, but found there were so many restrictions and had alot of problems when putting in claims, them trying to turn the claim down because it "wasnt covered" or "wasnt nessicary" ect...(when in fact it was clearly within my coverage ect)
i found i was spending ALOT of money for "good" coverage and then having to fight tooth and nail to get what i was supposed to get out of it...

so instead i canceld the insuarnce and set up a high yelid savings account, every month the amount i would have paid to the health insurance company for the pet coverage... i put into the high yeild savings account, that account is for PET emergencies only.
i also have a care credit card that i origioanly got so i could finance some dental work which has now joined the "pet emergencies only" club...
now if something comes up unexpected i have money in the savings account and for more expensive emergencies i also have the care credit.

and i dont have to worry that the money wont pay for an x-ray because it might not be covered, or a beak trim on my parrot, or a titer test...ect.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i used to have pet health insurance, but found there were so many restrictions and had alot of problems when putting in claims, them trying to turn the claim down because it "wasnt covered" or "wasnt nessicary" ect...(when in fact it was clearly within my coverage ect)
i found i was spending ALOT of money for "good" coverage and then having to fight tooth and nail to get what i was supposed to get out of it...

so instead i canceld the insuarnce and set up a high yelid savings account, every month the amount i would have paid to the health insurance company for the pet coverage... i put into the high yeild savings account, that account is for PET emergencies only.
i also have a care credit card that i origioanly got so i could finance some dental work which has now joined the "pet emergencies only" club...
now if something comes up unexpected i have money in the savings account and for more expensive emergencies i also have the care credit.

and i dont have to worry that the money wont pay for an x-ray because it might not be covered, or a beak trim on my parrot, or a titer test...ect.
Brilliant! That is such a great idea. I think I am going to copy it. My neighbor has a "pet emergencies only" credit card but I like the savings account idea as well.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Brilliant! That is such a great idea. I think I am going to copy it. My neighbor has a "pet emergencies only" credit card but I like the savings account idea as well.
Gotta be CareCredit.com. A credit card that I actually love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats