Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times

Advertisements

I walk in the door. I hear Thump! Thump! Thump!

Then I see a little black head peek around the landing of the stairs.

A brown tabby leaps over that head and hurries down to greet me, prrt! prrt! PRRRT! After saying hello she hurries over to the litter boxes to tell me they need to be scooped (she is The Litter Box Police), and does Spins on the rug underneath them (she used to spin IN the litter boxes until I taught her how yucky that was)

Meantime, the owner of the little black head trots down saying mmrrrumph! She stretches her body up full length against my leg, reaching her paws up to my face as I bend down so she can sniff me and pat me. (she is very long!)

She then runs over to The Litter Box Police and they confer on the state of the litter boxes. (Little black cat is Litter Box Deputy) The Deputy gets into the boxes and starts spinning in them if I don't stop her quick enough. (bletch!) I haven't been able to teach her not to do it, yet.

While this Rapture of greetings is going on, I hear the thundering of little cat feet upstairs as the third cat does her happy dance, knowing I will soon be upstairs (and, she is most likely thinking, in the kitchen)

However I first dutifully scoop the litter boxes, then head upstairs amidst what feels like 20 rather that 2 cats trying to wind through my legs as I go. As I turn the landing, the cat who remained upstairs is there on the half wall, level with my head. She says prrrrROW! as I stop and let her sniff me and rake a claw through my hair before finally getting all the way up and into the living-room.

She then jumps down to the floor and does Spins for me, also.

Greetings and Spins over, we have Raptures and Games for about 45 minutes, then it is supper time. (that is, after I wipe down the Litter Box Spinner and wash my hands)

I love coming home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Haha, they have you trained! LOL

If Checkers doesn't greet me at the door -- the sound of the door opening usually sends them scurrying to the safety of the basement -- I'll find both of them snuggled upstairs on my bed. They know I'll be up eventually to change my clothes; why should they bother to move since they're so comfy?

I sprawl on the bed with them and we purr and play for awhile; they're not used to being alone all day and they must be lonely and missing their daddy , so I indulge them. And then one of us -- usually me! -- gets hungry and has to go down to the kitchen.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Jasper meows usually for a solid hour, telling me about the day. Don't get a Bengal if you don't want a cat that moews at the top of their lungs incessantly.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
We usually get some interest when we get home, but it's not anywhere near that sort of clingy attention. We come in through the garage which is downstairs, and usually I'm first up and find her peering over through the railing at me. But I only get attention for a minute, long enough for her to confirm it's me, then she's walking away. Sometimes I catch her still sleeping, though. It's about 5:45pm or so usually when we get home, and on weekend days when we are home at that time she is generally sleeping right through that time. So even though she does get up most of the time, it's clear she has just gotten up from sleeping when we arrive.

Maybe I should move the mealtime to when we get home and I'd get more attention.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
They're ready for you before you even walk in the door I'm sure. I have 2 girls, both around 17 & 18 yrs of age. The one is always sleeping, we actually wake her up to eat some treats which is a supplement for her. The other one is waiting next to the food bowl waiting to get fed, and she usually meows at you if you're taking too long. I take the dogs out to do their duty first, then scoop the litter boxes, then feed everyone. All the kids get taken care of first, then I can relax and eat in semi-peace.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Awwww.... that is sweet!

I love coming home or have my kitty greet me in anyways she does also.... be it a happi trot or an urgent mad dash towards me to tell me she missed me, rubbing herself head to tail on my leg, doing the vocal "purrrt", a meow or a big huge purrrr.... even standing on her two feet to lean her paws on me self so she could nuzzle a hello.... I adore that cat.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Your sweet posts always make me smile especially your perfect descriptions of
'kitty-talk"

...how we love our cats!

Mine wait at the windows so when I drive up I can see the sweet little heads looking my way.

Recently I have been walking on a wooded trail behind my place. All 3 will start out with me, happy and running circles around me...then they drop off one by one...finding a hidden spot to wait. When I return their way, they jump out at me, glad for us to be together again. We go inside and play/cuddle for the rest of the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I walk in the door. I hear Thump! Thump! Thump!

Then I see a little black head peek around the landing of the stairs.

A brown tabby leaps over that head and hurries down to greet me, prrt! prrt! PRRRT! After saying hello she hurries over to the litter boxes to tell me they need to be scooped (she is The Litter Box Police), and does Spins on the rug underneath them (she used to spin IN the litter boxes until I taught her how yucky that was)

Meantime, the owner of the little black head trots down saying mmrrrumph! She stretches her body up full length against my leg, reaching her paws up to my face as I bend down so she can sniff me and pat me. (she is very long!)

She then runs over to The Litter Box Police and they confer on the state of the litter boxes. (Little black cat is Litter Box Deputy) The Deputy gets into the boxes and starts spinning in them if I don't stop her quick enough. (bletch!) I haven't been able to teach her not to do it, yet.

While this Rapture of greetings is going on, I hear the thundering of little cat feet upstairs as the third cat does her happy dance, knowing I will soon be upstairs (and, she is most likely thinking, in the kitchen)

However I first dutifully scoop the litter boxes, then head upstairs amidst what feels like 20 rather that 2 cats trying to wind through my legs as I go. As I turn the landing, the cat who remained upstairs is there on the half wall, level with my head. She says prrrrROW! as I stop and let her sniff me and rake a claw through my hair before finally getting all the way up and into the living-room.

She then jumps down to the floor and does Spins for me, also.

Greetings and Spins over, we have Raptures and Games for about 45 minutes, then it is supper time. (that is, after I wipe down the Litter Box Spinner and wash my hands)

I love coming home.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:12 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
At some point when we were young, my sisters and I quit racing to the door to greet our dad when he got home at the end of a work day. Maybe it coincided with when we got too big for him to swing us in the air or bounce us on a knee. After all this time, who's to say? We were still happy to see him (unless Mom was going to give him a bad report about our behavior. ) But we no longer "dropped everything" the instant we heard his car turn in to the driveway.

My "catolescents" Weasie and Puppy wouldn't be heard from when I opened the door upon arrival from work or otherwise being away. They waited to hear me call out, "KITTIES!!! Daddy's home!" Then they would charge to greet me from wherever they were, Puppy (the strong silent type) always half a cat length behind his sister who was ever the gregarious one. Weasie would start up her motor mouth to recount what had gone on in my absence. As I made my way to the kitchen or bathroom they'd weave around my ankles and stay with me 'til I plopped on the couch to sort mail or read. Then they would find open spots where they could join me, and jump up. So went many an afternoon or evening.
After Puppy had vanished forever mere months after moving in, Weasie kept up the same ritual. She began fancying shoulder transport: I'd walk over to the kitchen table, she'd jump onto the table, and I'd place her on my left shoulder for a ride around the house. Around the time she got too big for this to go on, I couldn't expect to have her race to greet me as soon as the door opened. Hmmmm...

For the remainder of her long life, Weasie's reactions to my getting home were across the spectrum. There were times when she would still run to welcome me with meows and purrs in full force. At other times she wouldn't budge from a nap and, were I to approach her, she'd show an expression of "Can't you see I'm taking a snooze? Later!"

One thing stayed consistent with me. As soon as I reached the top of the front steps and had the keys out, I'd start to feel a tingle of anticipation across my shoulders. For walking into the house meant I would soon be greeted in some way by my "sugar beet." To this day I get that tingle, even though Weasie died five weeks ago. But since I know she's with me in spirit wherever I go I'll eventually shake having that sensation. And when it's time for me to go to my "eternal home," Weeze will be ready for a shoulder ride again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats