Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,237,865 times

Advertisements

I have heard alot of pet owners say, I like my cat, but it's just a cat. Many friends have made comments, that after having children they see their pets as just that- I have been a cat owner since the 7th grade, not the same one, but Ive always had one (now 2). My girls came along and filled my life with an unexplainable love and joy-- but I still LOVE my cats. I don't like them, I genuinely care and love them as my family. Im like this with ALL pets. I cried when my fish died, and when my hamster was sick. I didnt bawl, but I was heartbroken. Of course, actual people and their needs take precedence..but I have to wonder, am I over the top? How can people not care for them like family? They are loyal, kind, sweet loving creatures, not only that but like PEOPLE, they are God's creations. Anyone else get irritated when people say "it's just a cat??"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,298,282 times
Lots of people love their pets as they would their family, they're not just dumb this or thats...
My cat was the only family I had for a long time. A friend of mine in Fla calls her cats her children even though she has two little girls. So you're not crazy or anything, there are plenty of animal lovers who would do anything for their pets. Animals have personalities and treat you better than most people do, have you ever had a pet that turned on you for no reason, like some people would?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,940,267 times
A couple of months ago my son (4 at the time) fell and hit his head real hard at my mothers house - well - the fall freaked her cat out so while we were trying to take a good look at my son my mother picks up the cat and goes behind closed doors because he was shaken up....... she had to calm him down. To me - this was a bit over the top.

I love my cats too. I have always had a cat. I will do what ever I can for them ...ever...they are a part of my family - and when Lacey doesn't come lay on my pillow at night - I go look to make sure she's ok...and when Ziggy isn't trying to eat my toes when I'm trying to sleep - I wonder if he got out somehow (he's a sneaky one!) I've spent thousands of dollars trying to save a cat from Kidney failure - which ultimately killed him. My cats are my family too.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM

667 posts, read 2,294,922 times
Yeah, I agree with all of you so far. My cat isn't just an "ornamental pet" he is loved, accomodated to & most definitely part of the family.
Some people do have animals around just to occupy space, but I think there are more people who really love & cherish their pets.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
my kitties are my children with fur, and I do have a child. My furbabies always have time to give me attention and affection, and never want anything but love and affection (and a treat or two) in return. They have always been, and will always be, a part of my family.
And yes, I do get annoyed when people say that its just a cat, it makes me rather suspicious of their hearts..... (like, its just a so-and-so type of person, not like US???)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,539,683 times
My two cats I've raised since babies and I think it's safe to say I love them soo much. There my best buddies when times have been hard.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
I love my cats very much, if someone says something about cats being stupid animals, its all I can do to not put up my hand and shout MUTE.

Anyone that can say that has never been around cats. I know alot of people whose intelligence falls FAR below that of my cats.

My beloved little deaf white cat is sitting right next too me, sort of like king of the mountain, he is my sweet little foster kitty and I love him dearly. I go out of my way to express my love for him in every way I can think because he can't hear me talking to him like the other two.

I have had cats for most of my life and they have given so much to me and I try to return the favor. I love to hold them and sing to them, they reward me with their purring and happily half closed eyes. My Salem actually comes and sits on my lap and lays his head on my breast in the sweetest way.

Rufus comes to sit close to me and extends one paw out too touch me, like he can't bear to be far away from me. His touch is so sweet and loving too me. The don't just respond when there is a food reward. They literally follow me from room to room, just so they can be close to me.

I avoid people who make stupid statements like that about cats, I find that they are people with little compassion and are more then a little self absorbed.

Love me, love my cats, thats non negotiable.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:16 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,971,981 times
My boys are my boys. They take care of me.

Seriously, though, when times get stressful, they're there to calm me down. Unconditional love is a good thing.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:25 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,911,961 times
I like my cats more than my kid . I'm teasing, but I do love my kitties. I didn't realize how much until my husband's cat died shortly after we were married. He and my cat Keller (also white & deaf like Lindsay's) would teas-a$$ around our apartment driving me crazy. I would tell my husband that after they passed, we were not getting anymore cats. Well Oscar died suddenly and young from an undetected heart condition, and Keller became so depressed that we felt we needed to get another cat to keep him company. We ended up adopting littermates who's foster mom refused to separate, and ever since I know I will NEVER not have a cat. I don't see them very often these days. We got a dog and they hate her so they spend a lot of time in the basement waiting for the dog to be crated. LOL. As soon as the dog is put to bed all three of them emerge for their time and it's great.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:32 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I like my cats more than my kid . I'm teasing, but I do love my kitties. I didn't realize how much until my husband's cat died shortly after we were married. He and my cat Keller (also white & deaf like Lindsay's) would teas-a$$ around our apartment driving me crazy. I would tell my husband that after they passed, we were not getting anymore cats. Well Oscar died suddenly and young from an undetected heart condition, and Keller became so depressed that we felt we needed to get another cat to keep him company. We ended up adopting littermates who's foster mom refused to separate, and ever since I know I will NEVER not have a cat. I don't see them very often these days. We got a dog and they hate her so they spend a lot of time in the basement waiting for the dog to be crated. LOL. As soon as the dog is put to bed all three of them emerge for their time and it's great.
Your husband and kitty playing around the house sound so funny.

My Salem carries toys in his mouth, reminiscent of the way a dog carries a bone. When my daughter sees this, she gets on the floor and plays catch with him. Its hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats