Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with URI infections in cats, and most specifically how long they've lasted?

Starting last Friday, JJ started to going into violent sneezing spasms. I don't mean a cute little sneeze a few times a day- he's sneezing twenty times or more in a row. His breathing is very stopped up and snuffly, and he just clearly doesn't feel well.

Off to the vet we went, and she felt he has a virus and the only thing to do is wait it out. The other cat in the house is also sneezing, but no where near as bad as JJ (but then JJ has a very weak immune system, so it isn't surprising this hit him harder). She did say his lungs sound clear, which is a major concern with his asthma.

We did start him on antibiotics, not for the virus but as a precaution against a secondary bacterial infection (again, due to his nonexistent immune system).

Five days later, and he's still sneezing. Perhaps not quite as bad or as often, but still very congested and woe-is-me. If he doesn't improve in a few more days, I'm thinking of taking him to the University of Pennsylvania just out of fear it could be something we're missing. JJ is an indoor only cat, of course, but he's also not vaccinated due to severe vaccine reactions, so this worries me.

So if your cat ever had an URI, how long did it last? How bad were the symptoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
Today I'm giving the last of meds to 6 cats who got a URI. It started with one and spread quickly. Some of mine were sneezing like yours, 20 or more times in a row with me running after them wiping their noses. I started them on Amoxicillin 1ml. twice a day last Thurs. By Mon. I noticed a difference. Jem, the one who started it all, is still sneezing occasionally, but only a couple times a day. The rest appear to be fine. Like yours, mine don't have vaccinations. Jem picked the URI up at the vets a couple of weeks ago. The meds info says it should be administered for 5-7 days and 48 hours after symptoms have disappeared. If your cat hasn't cleared up by the time you've used all the meds, you need to take him back to the vet. It could be something else.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Get them started on l-lysine. Very good to boost the immune system, especially for URI illnesses.

I use pure l-lysine powder and mix it right into their wet food. It just tastes like salt. Check your local health food store. I get mine on line but you don't want to wait that long to get them started.

500 mg a day, is the therapeutic dose. (if using pure powder that's about 1/4 teaspoon) or 250 mg twice a day (1/8 teaspoon)

L-lysine powder is an amino acid supplement used to control herpes in cats and humans, but is also an excellent immune system booster.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
Very good to know, thanks catsmom.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Get them started on l-lysine. Very good to boost the immune system, especially for URI illnesses.

I use pure l-lysine powder and mix it right into their wet food. It just tastes like salt. Check your local health food store. I get mine on line but you don't want to wait that long to get them started.

500 mg a day, is the therapeutic dose. (if using pure powder that's about 1/4 teaspoon) or 250 mg twice a day (1/8 teaspoon)

L-lysine powder is an amino acid supplement used to control herpes in cats and humans, but is also an excellent immune system booster.
Unfortunately, JJ can't take L-Lysine. We've tried several times to start him on it because of his underlying herpes, but he vomits every time. Robin does take it, though, which might be why she shook off her URI much quicker.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times
Can you give us an update on JJ? My shelter kitty (I got Meeko, 6 years old, Sunday from a "kill" shelter and of course he is sneezing.

I've researched it and concur with catsmom21 about trying lysine. Sorry it isn't an option for JJ. and I found a new(ish) test that can be done to attempt to isolate the actual cause of the sneezing.

http://www.2ndchance.info/cateyeIdexxURDpanel.pdf

He is going to the vet. Listen to his breathing, take his temperature etc. I just don't want, won't allow, a repeat of the kitchen sink approach used on Saber before I knew better.

There was a vet to vet article I found a month ago stating that an untreated UDI resolves in about 2 weeks, while a treated UDI resolved in about 14 days, so even vets know most of this not specific, to put it nicely.

Any other experiences?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times
Back from the vet, about Meekos U R I,(typo on last post) his temperature was fine and there is no eye discharge, so for now he is not on antibiotics.
I liked the vet, I had read reviews online for 4 different vets in my new area, and this one seemed the best.

After the exam was over, I brought up Raw feeding, and the vet said she would like to work with me if I hadn't done it before, and that she could give me the e-mail addresses of people in my area that are feeding Raw successfully and perhaps I could find one to actually meet in person.

Needless to say, I was shocked and delighted!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Leana, so glad you had a happy experience with your new vet and it was about diet of all things. Hope your new baby gets over the sniffles soon.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Back from the vet, about Meekos U R I,(typo on last post) his temperature was fine and there is no eye discharge, so for now he is not on antibiotics.
I liked the vet, I had read reviews online for 4 different vets in my new area, and this one seemed the best.

After the exam was over, I brought up Raw feeding, and the vet said she would like to work with me if I hadn't done it before, and that she could give me the e-mail addresses of people in my area that are feeding Raw successfully and perhaps I could find one to actually meet in person.

Needless to say, I was shocked and delighted!

Really excited for you and Meekos! Pix please! And congratulations on findind an open minded vet who will work with you.
When my Mickey came home, he had a URI and despite my best efforts, gave it to Patty, but they both shook it off easily w/ no meds. Hope it will be the same for all concerned.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM

It took JJ a few days shy of two weeks to kick his URI...the only thing I found that helped the symptoms was putting him in the bathroom with the shower running for a bit of a steam treatment. I have a feeling I brought it home myself because I go to Petsmart pretty much daily, and often say 'hello' to the shelter cats there.

This is why JJ will never be a therapy cat like we had planned- he so easily gets every little bug, and then it turns into such a big emergency. Like the time he had an ear infection...he didn't just have some itching for a few days. Within twenty-four hours he was vestibular to the point he couldn't walk and ended up at the University for three days. The swelling in his ear canal was so bad it permanently paralyzed his facial nerves and lead to the collapse of his remaining eye.

But he is feeling much better now, and back to his usual evil self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats