Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 PM

327 posts, read 968,805 times

Advertisements

Regarding the OP, I just paid $900 to have Mercedes' (I should have known better to name her that - high maintenance!) teeth cleaned with one extraction. She's 15 1/2 with CKD and stage two peridontal disease. She sees a veterinarian dentist, one of only 54 in the country. I have to wait until DH is out of town to make the appointment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 PM

76 posts, read 112,245 times
Sometimes a Vet. clinic may perform the surgery, it is actual surgery to perform dental
work on pets, they have to be sedated. Also.........you may be able to locate a Vet. that will
accept payments on the syrgery performed. That has been my experience.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Are there any preventive methods that can forestall these expensive dental procedures?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
What happened to cat catch the mouse and eat him? Rural barn cats don't have this problem, do they? I once visited a friend's country home and his mom told me to give some the cow's milk to the barn kittens. Boy, did they lap that up in a flash..milk all over their cute little faces!!!!!

Before Purnia Dog/Cat Chow, people gave their dogs and cats table scraps of meat, milk, bread veggies etc but the grain companies tell us not to for many years. They now are finding out THEY WERE WRONG...oops sorry pet owners, we made a mistake and we have these sick animals to care for. Whoever heard of animals having allergies to grass before these grain companies telling us what to feed our pets??? NOW they add all of those vegetable and probiotics and convince us the it is not a modified "table scrap" that we pay an arm and a leg for.

And what ever happened to the vet who used to use herbal remedies for animals? YES they use to do that. Vets have also been convinced the the pharmacuetical companies to prescribe to animal. We really need to start waking up here

I know someone is going to say that animal live longer now. But it cost YOU too much to get care for them as they live beyond what is normal life span; making your vet rich as they work on your sympathy for your pets. Let's get back to reality and go back to the basics when it comes our pets health and our own health for that matter. Just ask the question, "How did they do it 70 years ago when they had 3 times the animals to care for than we do?" And we will get alot of questions answered.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Reopening this one:

I have to bring the catters to the vet for their annual exam/shots in an hour--always a traumatic experience, and I know last year the vet said she was going to get me an estimate to get one's teeth cleaned because she has plaque and gingivitis, etc. She never sent an estimate, which was just as well because a new furnace and water heater put me in debt beyond what I'd be able to pay for cat teeth cleaning anyway. I'm expecting some sort of lecture about my poor cat and her teeth, and I do feel bad, but this sort of thing is just NOT in my budget. As it is, the exams/shots will be going on the credit card. By the way, Foxy has no problems eating, and she's energetic and likes to play. Yes, yes, spare me more admonitions and guilt, I know cats often hide their pain if they have any. But she does seem OK.

So, has anybody used that plaque spray they are advertising on TV, and if so, did it work or is it just a dumb gimmick?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
So, has anybody used that plaque spray they are advertising on TV, and if so, did it work or is it just a dumb gimmick?

I'd like to know that, too.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times
does any pat insurance cover this/

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
another option is to wait (if you can) until Dec-Feb (check with your vet,though!) for Dental Health Month discounts. I think Feb is DHM, but my vet starts doing his 50% off cleanings in Dec. It's still expensive, but at least it's less.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,787 times
Not all Dental Month (mine is Feb/March) have that great of a deal - Mine offers 10% off dental procedures or anything related so if you get bloodwork done the 10% is off that too. Every little bit helps but it's really not all that much.

I just had Simon's first cleaning done (he is 2 1/2 years old) teeth were looking junky and the gums were getting a bit inflamed. It took them about 15 minutes to clean and polish his teeth back to pearly white and it cost me all of $157.

Its why I get on my soap box over and over about preventative cleaning and maintenance. I can swing $157 no problem and that little amount of time under anesthesia is no problem for him. He woke up super fast, right as rain and ate his lunch. Vs waiting until there was a problem, more money for me, and a hard surgery for him -- NO Thank You! I'll take a few cheap procedures spread out over time, and one healthy happy cat

*Though I'll add I DO NOT have them seal his teeth and I do not pay for the stuff to do the sealant at home so that comes off my bill (it's a waste and doesn't work) I also did no blood work. He's 2 and had a complete panel as a baby. I'll do it when he needs his teeth done next time as I do bood work every few years or so.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
This whole dental thing is such a weird concept for me. Since when is it such a trend that it needs a whole month dedicated to it? What are you all feeding your cats, that they have such lousy teeth? I've had four cats total, my sister has had 7 total, my parents have had two total, and between us, we've only needed two of our cats to have any dental work at all. One of mine had an abcess in her gum because she tried to chew on a rosebush and got a thorn stuck and infected it. One of my sister's had really bad breath and it turned out the cat had some gum irritation and a chipped tooth that was getting infected at the gumline.

None of our cats, combined, have ever needed a cleaning. Must be some kind of miracle I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats