Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Iams is not expensive, LOL...
A lot more than Purina Cat Chow, though, as the OP mentioned....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A lot more than Purina Cat Chow, though, as the OP mentioned....
Yes. That's why I added, in my original comment, that "expense is relative". I'm sorry I laughed, that wasn't very polite of me.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
yes! Purina One was a godsend to stretching out the HIlls i/D. when you're paying $30-$40 a bag.. the price of Purina One is a beautiful thing.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat dady View Post
I left P One to go to store bought wet food in a can. You know,,,Friskeys and nine lives. I switched back to P One last wk because my cats (7 of them) are always hungry when they eat the wet food. I feed them 12 to 14 cans a day. Now with P One, they get satisfied and are not hungry all the time. I feed the dry three times a day. With P One they get 34 % crude protein vs only 11 with the wet food. Why with the wet, is the protein so low? I want to feed them wet all the time!
The wet is not low in protein. You have to convert the foods to a Dry Matter Basis to make the comparison. To convert to dry matter you find the dry percentage by subtracting the moisture percentage by 100 percent. Then divide the ingredient percentage by the dry percentage.

Going on the assumption that most cans are 78% moisture, a can that lists 11 % protein is actually 50% protein.

Purina one DRY is probably about 10% moisture so the actual percentage is 37% protein.

It's wonderful you want your cats on a wet diet, so much better for them! Perhaps you aren't feeding them quite enough? The average cat would eat one 5.5 ounce can a day (split into three meals)

Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
What about bananas??

Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The wet is not low in protein. You have to convert the foods to a Dry Matter Basis to make the comparison. To convert to dry matter you find the dry percentage by subtracting the moisture percentage by 100 percent. Then divide the ingredient percentage by the dry percentage.

Going on the assumption that most cans are 78% moisture, a can that lists 11 % protein is actually 50% protein.

Purina one DRY is probably about 10% moisture so the actual percentage is 37% protein.

It's wonderful you want your cats on a wet diet, so much better for them! Perhaps you aren't feeding them quite enough? The average cat would eat one 5.5 ounce can a day (split into three meals)
So I am on the right track that our two furries eat 3 of the small cans and crunchies on the side.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I am pretty new to the forum and didn't know about wet food until recently. Not to stir the pot, my parents fed their cat the cheapest food in the store, and that amazing little man never had one health problem and lived to be 16. They do the same with their new little man too. He's five with no problems.

We feed our boys middle of the road food because the little guy won't eat the "good" stuff. He vomits it up. When you're paying $1-3 a can, you do not want it vomited up. I just look for some kind of meat as the main ingredient.
I had a cat who would vomit after eating and I noticed that the food was in chunks. After I mashed them down with a fork before serving or looked for a non sliced, non chunky food, he was just fine.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Right, but people will leave their cats a huge bowl of dry food, and cats will pork out on that, and not be hungry for wet food. Cats are fine with no food for a few hours, so if you are going out, put the food away. They won't bother you---you will be gone---that is the solution for those who say the cat bothers them for food. Gradually, the cat will be conditioned that food is not there 24-7, and then also not bother you for food when you are home. You have effectively extinguished this behavior. Does that make sense?
Maybe I've just had odd animals, but I have had a number of cats and initially if I leave food down all day they might pig out but after time passes and they realize that there will always be a supply of food at the ready they no longer pig out.

I used to feed wet twice daily and leave a mixture of different kinds of kibble to nibble on at will. Never had any problem except, as has been mentioned, sometimes they'd pick out the kibble that they did not like and leave it on the floor.

I usually got cats as kittens, so the food at will system did not get them really fat as they were pigging out.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I had a cat who would gorge himself on dry food, to the point he would vomit. He seemed to be constantly hungry.

Which made me think about obesity...because our other cat could self moderate, he pretty much ignored dry food, maybe a few mouthfuls a day.

The first cat, Beau, would have been obese if we let him over eat. He was a hefty 18 pounder. He always wanted food. He even stole toast out of the toaster for food! He was like a dog, sat right under the baby, and ate anything she dropped.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had a cat who would gorge himself on dry food, to the point he would vomit. He seemed to be constantly hungry.

Which made me think about obesity...because our other cat could self moderate, he pretty much ignored dry food, maybe a few mouthfuls a day.

The first cat, Beau, would have been obese if we let him over eat. He was a hefty 18 pounder. He always wanted food. He even stole toast out of the toaster for food! He was like a dog, sat right under the baby, and ate anything she dropped.
Poor you!

I had two cats who would eat from their bowls politely, and then I had two in which one would guzzle down his food really fast and then push the other out of his bowl and start on that, too. He'd also push the other cat out of the way when it was play time. I hated that.

He may have vomited because all that dry food irritated his stomach - there was not enough fluid to break apart all those bits.

As I said before I had one cat who could not eat chunky or sliced cat food and the dry stuff had to be kitten sized pellets. Some of that wet food with meaty looking chunks - if you try to crush it with a fork it's like some kind of plastic - more like rubber tires, really. It won't crush. I don't know how they make it visually so attractive and have such a yucky texture.

Every now and again I used to see an old, ill dressed, person at the supermarket with nothing but cat food and I wonder if it's really for cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats