Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Years ago I am a siamese who not only spied on me but she would stalk and hunt me too. She would hide behind the cereal boxes on top of the fridge and when I would come in the kitchen she would jump on my head or at least bat at it furiously.

She would also lie in wait in the tub behind the shower curtain and the minute I-or anybody else- sat on the toilet she would jump out and wave her arms wildly screaming "I found you. You're it!" I always so embarrassed if i forgot to tell a guest about my crazy cat.
She'd hide behind the drapes, behind the shoes in the closet or anywhere she could ambush me. i think she was just entertaining herself.

I think ambushing, spying cats need a fellow cat to play with so I have never had a solo cat since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Well, maybe you need meds...

My cat does not "spy" on me. He just sort of hangs out all day, sometimes he sits on top of the TV, and watches me, probably seeing if I am going to throw chicken on the floor or something. He will come out at me from places, just playing...having fun...part of owning a cat.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
All our cats are how you describe but I wouldn't call it "spying", it is cat nature to be sneaky.

A fun game is a mix between hide and seek and "tag-your it".

Sometimes cats can be a pain when you are looking for them and calling and end up finding them in plain sight and they chose to ignore you or they seem to be thinking "lets see how long it takes them this time".

Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 PM

109 posts, read 119,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I also have a black cat who always watches and follows me. Although he does it right out in the open. When I have taken him to the groomers and am at home by myself, I find myself constantly thinking I see him out of the corner of my eye, because when I am home, he keeps me in his line of site 90% of the time.
Yep, this is me. Its nerve-wrecking because sometimes I think I see him out of the corner of my eye in shadows or other dark objects, even when he's not around. I don't mind being in his line of sight as long as he's in my line of sight too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Aw don't do that. That would be mean. He's being who he is. How would you like having your favorite hobby taken away from you?

Cats love to crouch in hidey holes and watch their world. Just look at any decent cat tree. They all have a cubby or hidey hole of some sort. That's what cats do.

When he spies on you, distract him with an interactive Game. After he's had some attention from you he will be likely to curl up for a nap (in one of his hidey spots) or go sit in a window and watch the birds. (so if you don't have a bird feeder, get one)
I don't think it would be mean at all. He'd love to jump on the counter, poop where he wants, and eat off of our plates but we don't allow that because those are the rules of living with a human being. We aren't being mean to keep him from doing this--and at this point whatever keeps my sanity is better for the both of us (I think eliminating his vantage point hiding spots is better than kicking him outside where I"m not around at all). He can choose to hide and sleep securely behind things if he wants, but I don't think he needs to be able to do that AND stare me down at the same time. One or the other should be fine. I'm not getting rid of his all his hiding spots, just the ones that he uses to spy on me at the same time.

I do play with him a lot and try to even call him over to me when he does this so that we can snuggle. But he isn't doing it because he wants something else from me. He does it because he likes it.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM

109 posts, read 119,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Years ago I am a siamese who not only spied on me but she would stalk and hunt me too. She would hide behind the cereal boxes on top of the fridge and when I would come in the kitchen she would jump on my head or at least bat at it furiously.

She would also lie in wait in the tub behind the shower curtain and the minute I-or anybody else- sat on the toilet she would jump out and wave her arms wildly screaming "I found you. You're it!" I always so embarrassed if i forgot to tell a guest about my crazy cat.
She'd hide behind the drapes, behind the shoes in the closet or anywhere she could ambush me. i think she was just entertaining herself.

I think ambushing, spying cats need a fellow cat to play with so I have never had a solo cat since then.
My cat does this too, but I think its cute. He'll hide behind the door frame and then grab at my feet when I walk in. Sometimes hubby and I do this back to him--we'll hide and wait for him to walk by and then yell "Boo!" and he meows like "Yeah, yeah, you got me." I don't at all have a problem with this. I think that's being playful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
All our cats are how you describe but I wouldn't call it "spying", it is cat nature to be sneaky.

A fun game is a mix between hide and seek and "tag-your it".

Sometimes cats can be a pain when you are looking for them and calling and end up finding them in plain sight and they chose to ignore you or they seem to be thinking "lets see how long it takes them this time".
These games seem much more interactive to me, and I don't have a problem with this or see this as being sneaky (accept the last part--that does get annoying when they sit and wait to see when you find them). But that's not spying. The spying is very different.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Try not to be so unnecessarily paranoid. He's a cat, not an evil spirit.

And if you eliminate his favorite hiding spaces, he may retaliate in ways that are worse than mere staring.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I think it is just the instinctive thing to back up into a space where you don't have to worry about anything from behind, and then look out and survey what is going on. Amber has done this to some degree here and there. In some places we lived she was able to get on top of the refrigerator (not my choice, just would find her there sometimes despite it being difficult to get to). There was a piece of furniture downstairs where she used to do that as well. She's really getting up there in years now so I think that may be a reason it has stopped, but in a few of those spots I did make attempts to block her, sometimes more successful than others. The fridge isn't a problem as she's too old to get up to counter height now, but I used to block the fridge on purpose. If you have a youngster then there will be more accessible places for him.

I think you can block some places, but with this you may need to provide some acceptable places for him to go. He certainly needs to have high places that he can get to. This can be dedicated cat furniture if you like, either free-standing or shelves attached to the wall or whatever. Or something else that is acceptable. I've had furniture for Amber for years. She doesn't always care to get up that high anymore, but sometimes she still does.

I don't think you would have good luck telling a cat not to get to a high vantage point at all, but you can attempt to make those more specific places. But you have to understand this requires rearranging how you do things in order to prevent the cat from doing these things, basically cat-proofing your house in certain ways. You can block places but also pay attention to methods of getting up there in the first place (things that can be used as steps or multi-stage jumps). You may find this requires too much rearranging to be practical.

I mean, yeah, we can sit here and tell you not to be unnerved by what is a natural cat behavior. That's about as good as telling you not to be afraid when standing at the cliff edge, if you are bothered by heights.

I think you can mitigate it a little, but you're not going to completely eliminate it.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I agree that he loves you and is interested in you. I also think he is bored. He needs something to fill his time up. Cats are great in pairs He doesn't sound overly playful so I don't think he would know what to do with a bouncy kitten - maybe someone his own age and energy level.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Try not to be so unnecessarily paranoid. He's a cat, not an evil spirit.

And if you eliminate his favorite hiding spaces, he may retaliate in ways that are worse than mere staring.
I'm so not picking on you, you can check my posting history, so if there is anyone at CD who believes that cats have capabilities beyond the norm, that someone would be me ...

That this cat is black seems to heighten the distress he causes you. Don't buy into hundreds of years of superstitious thinking ...

Why is it Considered Bad Luck to See a Black Cat?

"He's a black cat, and loves to blend in to our black bookshelf or a dark shadow, or hide behind something inconspicous and watch you and he STARES YOU DOWN."

I don't think a cat can reason that he is "more" hidden by a darker/black bookshelf; and shadows, by their very nature, are dark, so that is just a cat being a cat ... does he ever do anything to try and harm you after staring you down?

Last edited by leanansidhex; 02-29-2012 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittilove View Post
Yep, this is me. Its nerve-wrecking because sometimes I think I see him out of the corner of my eye in shadows or other dark objects, even when he's not around. I don't mind being in his line of sight as long as he's in my line of sight too!
Why are you so worried about him watching you? What can he do about what he sees? He can't post it on Facebook or tell his friends. he can't tell your family or write them a letter. No insult meant but you sound a little paranoid.

Quote:
I don't think it would be mean at all. He'd love to jump on the counter, poop where he wants, and eat off of our plates but we don't allow that because those are the rules of living with a human being. We aren't being mean to keep him from doing this--and at this point whatever keeps my sanity is better for the both of us (I think eliminating his vantage point hiding spots is better than kicking him outside where I"m not around at all).
A cat watching you is threatening your sanity? Have you considered you may have other issues than this harmless naturally curious cat. Perhaps you're in denial about them.

Quote:
He can choose to hide and sleep securely behind things if he wants, but I don't think he needs to be able to do that AND stare me down at the same time. One or the other should be fine. I'm not getting rid of his all his hiding spots, just the ones that he uses to spy on me at the same time.
SPY on your for what? What would be his purpose? Are you ashamed of something you do that you don't even want a cat to see? Cat's OBSERVE, they do not spy.

Quote:
I do play with him a lot and try to even call him over to me when he does this so that we can snuggle. But he isn't doing it because he wants something else from me. He does it because he likes it.
What do you think he "wants" from you? Be honest. What reaction does he get when he's looking at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats