Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

Best of thoughts to ZenZen and you. I know how frightening and frustrating it can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
My thoughts will be with you and him.

I hope it's nothing really serious.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM

96 posts, read 126,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You may remember how I acquired ZenZen: http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...-home-cat.html.
In 2 yrs he has gone from 9+ lbs to 6 lbs 7 oz., lost 2 oz since last week. He has been on prednisone by mouth for suspected IBS/IBD since the Fall. He quit eating Monday, ate some MaxCal canned stuff last night, wouldn't eat the same stuff this morning, so in desperation I got a can of Fancy Feast. He ate a few bites, seemed happy, then backed off and threw it up. So he is spending the night at the vet, doing a barium swallow. I just can't afford another $500 ultrasound (my cat Buster had to be euth'd about 2 weeks ago).

So please pray that he just has some sort of foreign object or a really humongous hairball that can be removed.
My prayers are with you and ZenZen, both. I so hope that this situation resolves itself in favor of you both. *hugs*

Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
He is just a slight bit jaundiced so I am thinking IBS affecting his liver. He has had one x-ray and will get the next one in the morning.

The vet said he could live a long time w/o food if he is drinking but I am not going to do that to him.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
When you reference IBS in regards to ZenZen is your vet saying Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

I'm astonished your vet would have told you that a cat can "live a long time without food". I was told just two years ago that a cat can only live without food for a max of seven days until their livers shut down.

I only mention this because I moved with my two cats a bit over two years ago. Cats do not like changes and my female cat stopped eating after the move. After three days I called the vet and was told that after 7 days without eating a cat will go into liver failure due to lack of nutrition.

I honestly don't mean to alarm you but if you are being told that a cat can live "a long time without food", that isn't what my vet said. Have you considered a liquid diet similar to formula for human babies?

Just to qet some nutrition and hydrate your baby?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Thank you all so much! He had no blockage show on the barium swallow, no megacolon, temp was normal. They changed him to an hypoallergenic diet of green pea and rabbit; he has been eating green pea and chicken for the last 1 yr+ but the vet said many cats don't do well on chicken. He has not thrown up on it. He was quite vocal whwen I picked him up and he ate some of the food when he got home. Stayed down for the last 90 min., which is a big improvement.

They also gave him 2 liquid meds, one is metronidazol and I forgot the other one.

Maybe it was just a case of food allergies that had gotten bad. I can't afford the ultrasound and I would never put him through a biiopsy, so we will treat him symptomatically and hope for the best.

Again, I am sure all the prayers and good thoughts helped him recover!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you all so much! He had no blockage show on the barium swallow, no megacolon, temp was normal. They changed him to an hypoallergenic diet of green pea and rabbit; he has been eating green pea and chicken for the last 1 yr+ but the vet said many cats don't do well on chicken. He has not thrown up on it. He was quite vocal whwen I picked him up and he ate some of the food when he got home. Stayed down for the last 90 min., which is a big improvement.

They also gave him 2 liquid meds, one is metronidazol and I forgot the other one.

Maybe it was just a case of food allergies that had gotten bad. I can't afford the ultrasound and I would never put him through a biiopsy, so we will treat him symptomatically and hope for the best.

Again, I am sure all the prayers and good thoughts helped him recover!
Great news. I also cannot afford an ultrasound that my vet told me I had to have done on my Maine Coon to diagnose what is causing his heart murmur.

I am SO happy to hear that your kitty is doing better. Our fur babies sometimes seem more fragile than human babies.

Wishing you all the best!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I'm very glad to hear he's feeling better! Hope he continues to do well on the new food.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
glad he is home and feeling better... and hoping hoping hoping it is something as simple as a food allergy.......

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
My thoughts are with you and Zen Zen....Let's hope it is something that can be taken care of in a short time.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I'm so glad there's no obstruction...and hoping and praying that this was just a food allergy, and the new food will solve the problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats