Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
My first attempt with a big tote was not successful, although this is probably still the best way to go. The actual first purchased one I broke while cutting the door hole.....
I didn't cut holes in them. My cats just jump over the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM

156 posts, read 449,001 times
Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox - Enclosed Litter Box and Cat Litter Box from petco.com

I use this one. You can always leave the top off if you want.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Oh by the way. I replace the Sterilite totes once a year. Even though I dump and scrub once a week, and use two sets, (one set in use while the other set rests and airs), when plastic gets scratched up it starts to hold odors. At less than $4 a tote, it isn't a hardship.

I've never cared for covered litter boxes. They hold in odors and dust. While that may be okay for the humans, it's not very nice for the cats. When I buy the totes, I don't even take the lids any more, in spite of the signs all around proclaiming "don't forget the lid!"

Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Door cuts aren't needed. Just don't use the lids, and the cats jump in and out of them with no trouble at all. Cats are jumpers, after all. The only time a door would be needed would be for a senior kitty where jumping in and out would be a problem for the cat.

I gave my senior kitty one of the big totes, so she could lean against the sides of it to hold herself up, as she just couldn't hold a squat long enough to poop any more. That one I did cut a door in.

I use the clear ones.
You should have seen how tall this one was! Plus my cat is 15. This one definitely needed a door. My worry, perhaps irrational, was that anything shorter could be a problem. I wanted zero chance of her being able to pee over the side, with plenty of litter in the bottom (3-4 inches). Even a shorter one, I would be worried about her jumping over. By the time it was short enough that I wouldn't worry about her getting in, it would be too short to be effective.

But that's okay, I don't have a problem with hacking them (well, except breaking them, but I mean in theory I don't have a problem ).

Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You should have seen how tall this one was! Plus my cat is 15. This one definitely needed a door. My worry, perhaps irrational, was that anything shorter could be a problem. I wanted zero chance of her being able to pee over the side, with plenty of litter in the bottom (3-4 inches). Even a shorter one, I would be worried about her jumping over. By the time it was short enough that I wouldn't worry about her getting in, it would be too short to be effective.

But that's okay, I don't have a problem with hacking them (well, except breaking them, but I mean in theory I don't have a problem ).
I can certainly understand why you wanted a door. I know, when this gang gets older, they might need a door too. But since my Red Boy left me in November 2011, my oldest cat is only 7 1/2. So I won't have to worry about doors for a while.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM

306 posts, read 605,389 times
Well, I guess I'll head to Walmart tomorrow and see what I can maybe get my hands on. Thanks everyone

Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,711 times
Quote:
Oh by the way. I replace the Sterilite totes once a year. Even though I dump and scrub once a week, and use two sets, (one set in use while the other set rests and airs), when plastic gets scratched up it starts to hold odors. At less than $4 a tote, it isn't a hardship.

I've never cared for covered litter boxes. They hold in odors and dust. While that may be okay for the humans, it's not very nice for the cats. When I buy the totes, I don't even take the lids any more, in spite of the signs all around proclaiming "don't forget the lid!"

Totally agree... I've never understood their appeal! And to me they also are claustrophobic for any cat over kitten size.... and the poor cat also may be stepping in the stuff as he tries to maneuver around that small enclosure!
(It would never work for my 15-pound stray boy!)
If "the humans" stay on top of clearing out the solid waste and topping off with fresh litter it's not that big a deal to "see" the litter, at least not to me.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Oh by the way. I replace the Sterilite totes once a year. Even though I dump and scrub once a week, and use two sets, (one set in use while the other set rests and airs), when plastic gets scratched up it starts to hold odors. At less than $4 a tote, it isn't a hardship.....
Where I live any tote under $7 or $8 is too small for my cats. What store are you finding them that cheap?

I've had no problem with them holding odors. I wash them with hot soapy water and a little bleach. I rinse them well in very hot water, then air them out outside in the sun.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Where I live any tote under $7 or $8 is too small for my cats. What store are you finding them that cheap?

I've had no problem with them holding odors. I wash them with hot soapy water and a little bleach. I rinse them well in very hot water, then air them out outside in the sun.
I wash them once a week using laundry soap and clorox and baking soda. (laundry soap because it is safe to mix with bleach) I start with hot water, and soak them over night. After the soak I scrub, rinse in hot, then rinse in cold (cold water removes soap residue) then pour white vinegar, enough to cover the bottom and let them sit for a while, a final rinse. Air dry. Once dry I sprinkle baking soda on the bottom and they are stored in my bathtub for the week. Before using I dump out the baking soda.

I get them at Walmart. Made in USA. Sterilite 60 quart, 23 1/2 x 18 3/4 x 12 3/4. $3.50 each. I just bought two yesterday. (by the way, when I buy new ones, I don't use them right away. I wash them, then let them sit around so the new plastic smell wears off first.)
Attached Thumbnails
Need HIGH sided litter pans for overshooters, any suggestions?-041.jpg  

Last edited by catsmom21; 03-19-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM

306 posts, read 605,389 times
Quote:
I wash them once a week using laundry soap and clorox and baking soda. (laundry soap because it is safe to mix with bleach) I start with hot water, and soak them over night. After the soak I scrub, rinse in hot, then rinse in cold (cold water removes soap residue) then pour white vinegar, enough to cover the bottom and let them sit for a while, a final rinse. Air dry. Once dry I sprinkle baking soda on the bottom and they are stored in my bathtub for the week. Before using I dump out the baking soda.

I get them at Walmart. Made in USA. Sterilite 60 quart, 23 1/2 x 18 3/4 x 12 3/4. $3.50 each. I just bought two yesterday. (by the way, when I buy new ones, I don't use them right away. I wash them, then let them sit around so the new plastic smell wears off first.)
Nice Deal and nice size!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats