Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:04 PM

306 posts, read 605,316 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have 2 male cats that like to stand when peeing, thus resulting in overshooting the pans!!!! The largest I've seen online is the mega one from Petco, which I already have, and they still overshoot!!! This particular one is a "nice" size, but it's only 10 inches high, and I'm afraid I need one that's like 15 inches high or so.

I've seen where ppl. have bought storage containers and made their own for this very same reason. Has anyone ever tried this?

My other problem is that I need 2 that are uncovered due to one of these males being bullied by one of my females; therefore, he doesn't go in the covered ones for fear of getting "trapped", I guess.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
yes- look into cooking sites for stainless steel catering pans. I think they are that deep and stainless is supposed to be healthier than the plastic storage containers I get at Target- only 6 inches anyhow.

expensive but think it would be worth it.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 PM

169 posts, read 829,055 times
The highest litter boxes I've ever seen have 10" high sides. 2 examples...

Nature's Miracle High Sided Corner Litter Box - Litter Boxes - Litter Boxes & Accessories - PetSmart

Whisker City&#0174 High-Back Open Pan - Litter Boxes - Litter Boxes & Accessories - PetSmart

I have the 2nd one and it has helped a lot with my cats scraping most of their litter out of the boxes. Have you tried the domed, enclosed ones? My cats adjusted to them in the past quite nicely.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I use Sterilite tubs. I use the ones that are 12 inches high, ($3.97 each) but you can find those kind of storage tubs with even higher sides, I'm pretty sure. Look in Lowes or Home Depot or Walmart

I have a female who stands up to pee, and the 12 inch sides are high enough for her. The cats jump in and out of them with no trouble at all. I don't use the lids.

PS Be sure to get ones "made in USA". The Sterilite brand is.

Last edited by catsmom21; 03-17-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Get those plastic totes at your local K-Mart, Lowe's or Wally World. They're high enough to prevent the tallest male cat from urinating over them. We replaced all our litter pans with these totes. They also help stop litter from being scattered all over the floor.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I have used the plastic totes for many years because I find most of mine don't squat. They work out wonderfully and are a lot cheaper than litter boxes.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
My first attempt with a big tote was not successful, although this is probably still the best way to go. The actual first purchased one I broke while cutting the door hole, although this is because I chose a more difficult to cut clear bin. Opaque solid colors are usually a different plastic, more flexible, less brittle to cut. Then the second one, same bin as first, well, turns out the hole I cut as a door was not ideal. The cat would go in and pee right out the door! I had gone looking for the ideal bin, you know, no funny corners which is tough; the solid color bins usually have weird crevices in there, which is what lead me to the clear ones in the first place. Also, I think I had found it appealing to have one tall enough to cut a door hole in while leaving the top rim entirely intact (better structural integrity ).

I was lucky that I found a cheap covered litter box that works equally well for Amber (though oddly, since getting it she almost never hits the side anymore!) I had to hack this too, though, because the top of this box has NO ventilation at all! That's what makes it cheap I guess (simpler mold). I cut a big hole in the top. Cracked that too (the top is clear) but in a way that I could still use it, though it looks ugly. I bought a couple more so I can rotate and thus give them a good cleaning without the cat being without a box, but I haven't done the cutting yet on the new pristine tops. Might do it today in fact. It's about time to swap out box for a clean one.

BTW this is the box I'm using, on sale right now for $15.99 at Petco.com http://www.petco.com/product/112682/...es_LitterBoxes At my local store they do not carry this particular unit. I am experienced with two-piece litter boxes and this one does not appear to leak through the gap (I've had one that did that, very irritating). If you are going to use this though, be prepared to cut a hole in the top! Please! No holes might be nicer for our noses but not for kitty's. Please make a provision for there to be ventilation.

Even at $15.99 and if you need enough other items to get free shipping (maybe 4 litter boxes? LOL) you should be able to get a suitable Rubbermaid/Sterlite/whatever tote for cheaper. You'll probably still need to cut a door in though if the sides are really high.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
I was in Petco yesterday and there was a large, high-sided grey plastic box on the shelf... I think it was around $20, I don't remember. I'm in the Houston area so maybe product availability differs, but it sounds like what you want.

My guy throws litter EVERYWHERE so I am thinking about it myself!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Door cuts aren't needed. Just don't use the lids, and the cats jump in and out of them with no trouble at all. Cats are jumpers, after all. The only time a door would be needed would be for a senior kitty where jumping in and out would be a problem for the cat.

I gave my senior kitty one of the big totes, so she could lean against the sides of it to hold herself up, as she just couldn't hold a squat long enough to poop any more. That one I did cut a door in.

I use the clear ones.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I use Rubbermaid Roughneck storage tubs from Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats