Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Have you read the ingredients on that can of Fancy Feast? It's basically hooves and noses and other garbage parts of "meat" that you wouldn't eat and "wheat gluten" which no cat should EVER eat. Xanthan gum and guar gum are basically high fructose corn syrup byproducts.
If you had done your own research you would have posted a credible post. However with your very first couple of sentences, you ruined your credibililty and I didn't bother reading further.

1. Fancy Feast ingredients list don't specify each part of animals are put in the foods, so you don't know they're hooves and noses and other garbage parts, unless you work in their manufacturing plant. I'm sure there probably are such ingredients, but there are such ingredients in hotdogs too. For the record, the first ingredient in Fancy Feast Grilled Chicken Feast is chicken broth. Second ingredient - chicken. Third - liver. It's only when you get past the wheat gluten that you even see chicken by-products. The wheat gluten is the more suspicious of all five of the first ingredients. A bit of ground up chicken beak isn't going to make or break a cat's meal.

2. Guar gum isn't a byproduct of anything. It's ground up guar bean.

3. Xanthan gum is grown with bacteria and skimmed off processed sugar, including lactose, which comes from dairy and not corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 02:54 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you had done your own research you would have posted a credible post. However with your very first couple of sentences, you ruined your credibililty and I didn't bother reading further.

1. Fancy Feast ingredients list don't specify each part of animals are put in the foods, so you don't know they're hooves and noses and other garbage parts, unless you work in their manufacturing plant. I'm sure there probably are such ingredients, but there are such ingredients in hotdogs too. For the record, the first ingredient in Fancy Feast Grilled Chicken Feast is chicken broth. Second ingredient - chicken. Third - liver. It's only when you get past the wheat gluten that you even see chicken by-products. The wheat gluten is the more suspicious of all five of the first ingredients. A bit of ground up chicken beak isn't going to make or break a cat's meal.

2. Guar gum isn't a byproduct of anything. It's ground up guar bean.

3. Xanthan gum is grown with bacteria and skimmed off processed sugar, including lactose, which comes from dairy and not corn.
You're right, it's only xanthan gum that is generally from corn:
Xanthan gum is a common thickener, the fermentation product of the bacterium Xanthomonas Campestris. X. Campestris can be grown in various media, including bulk corn sugars

As I stated in my other post, SOME varieties of FF are better than other. By-product to me is still by-product, be it beaks or hooves or whatever. I don't eat hot dogs and don't expect my cats to either. When I said "hooves" I was using artistic license. By-product can be any not-fit-for-human-consumption part that some humans find just fine, like intestines or feet. I'd be a lot cooler with by-product if it were clearer what, exactly, it consists of on the label (personally I love chicken feet).

Sorry, I'm not an expert on the matter and didn't claim to be. So it's a good thing I don't throw in my two cents just to gain credibility, huh!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
And once again, you spin facts to suit your agenda. Call it semantics, but semantics can change the entire message.

Again - xanthan gum is not from corn sugar, generally or otherwise. It is a thickening agent biosynthesized out of a specific bacteria, that is intentionally introduced to sugar. It doesn't come from the sugar. It comes from the bacteria.

Just like LSD is biosynthesized from a mold intentionally grown on rye seeds, and yet rye is not an hallucinogenic drug, nor can you make LSD out of rye.

When you present your opinion as fact, in a thread written by someone seeking fact-based advice, you IMPLY that you are providing facts. Don't backpedal and claim it was just your opinion.

You made specific claims, which were untrue. It is posts like yours that feed the scare-mongering on this and other topics of CD.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
=Lavendar=, the OP, shared a link with me that sums things up well

This is the Weruva website. Once there look at the choices at the top and choose "See our rap video"

http://www.weruva.com/

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-13-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
I m giving him dry i cut it down to a 1/2 a cup a day, since I was told it was better for his teeth then the wet.
Whoever told you dry kibble is better for a cats teeth is WRONG! Kibble is loaded with cheap fillers and almost all are fattening and not part of a cat's natural diet.

Quote:
so maybe a small can of fancy feast a day will be a good choice do you think?
Will he eat the Fancy Feast? It may not be a good idea to try putting him on a diet AND switching him to canned food at the same time.

You may want to read this:
Feline nutrition information: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php

Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Lavender, I would suggest listening to your VET in regards to the dry versus wet food. I used to work for a vet that said that most wet food was fattening and that wet food is terrible for their teeth. I am not a vet or a cat owner, so I don't know. What I do know is that I would listen to the person who spent four years in vet school.
And I worked for a vet in a big city animal hospital and he was very much against dry kibble. He started to see a lot of problems in cats he never saw before people started to switch to kibbles. Obesity. Diabetes. Increase in kidney problems for example. How can canned be more fattening then the carbohydrate loaded kibble?

Many vets, if honest, admit they don't learn much about cat and dog nutrition as regards the foods on the shelves, when in Vet school. Some vets don't even know that cat's are obligate carnivores and all the crap fillers in kibble are not a part of their natural diet.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
My vet is also against dry kibble, as am I...there are conflicting opinions and the only way to come to a truly informed decision is to do some research and come to your own conclusions.

I would definitely not change the diet too radically too quickly, maybe cutting down a small bit on the dry and adding small (1/2 oz or so) "snacks" of canned food to start, gradually decreasing the amount of dry food and increasing the amount of wet food, until the transition is complete. Getting a scale is a great idea, then you can really make sure you're being careful about not letting him lose too much at once.

As for brands, there's not a perfect one...some of our favorites around here are Weruva, Ziwipeak, Blue Wilderness, Fussie Cat, Soulistic, Simply Nourish, Holistic Select, and yes...get ready for it... I do allow them FF a couple of times a week, because they love it, and I love them . The classic varieties aren't so bad, but I'd stay away from the "gravy lovers" and the ones with cheddar cheese (WTF is that about, anyway, LOL !)

If for some reason your cat won't eat the canned food, you should look into grain-free kibble, which still isn't ideal IMO, but far better than kibble with corn, gluten, soy, etc...you want to see specific meat sources in the first positions of the ingredients list, for example "chicken liver" instead of "animal liver".

I think the most crucial advice here is the part about going slow...good luck, and I'm glad you're taking steps to help your kitty get back in shape !

Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Just like LSD is biosynthesized from a mold intentionally grown on rye seeds, and yet rye is not an hallucinogenic drug, nor can you make LSD out of rye.
Dang, I was all ready to grow a rye field and then you ruined it with that last statement.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times
Consider cooking for your cat and storing the little containers in the fridge. There are some good recipes, and I find that just like us, healthy home-cooked food will be way bettr than anything processed. And anything with corn as a base is not good, either.

chicken liver, spinach, brown rice...all great foods for cats!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Consider cooking for your cat and storing the little containers in the fridge. There are some good recipes, and I find that just like us, healthy home-cooked food will be way bettr than anything processed. And anything with corn as a base is not good, either.

chicken liver, spinach, brown rice...all great foods for cats!
I would LOVE to do a home-cooked diet for my cats (I do cook meat for them, but that's for snacking)...I just worry about getting enough nutrients in the recipes, do you add bone meal, taurine, glandulars, etc? With dogs it's so easy, there are usually only 8-10 vitamins/supplements/minerals in the food, but with cat food I've seen as many as 21 . I haven't been able to find a recipe for home-cooked that includes all the supplements with specific measurements...there are plenty of specific recipes for raw diets, but never for cooked . Would you be willing to share some of your recipes ?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats