Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:38 AM

47 posts, read 346,557 times

Advertisements

My parents have an old cat, her name is Lucy, she is the prettiest calico you have ever seen. Anyway, she is about 18 years old now. She has had health problems during the last few months. The vet said she has; arthritis in her back hips, a stage 5 heart murmur,and a blood test revealed stage 1 kidney failure. She also has had seizures. The vet has said that an old cat having seizures usually signals brain cancer, he says they can survive up to six months. My mother says she doesn't come out anymore, she stays behind the coach all day. When my mom talks to her, she doesn't lift her head. She hardly eats at all and relieves herself on the carpet now,(which is papered). Anybody else have a cat that has/had these problems?? Any advice, or anything you learned would be really helpful. Her mother did the same thing by the way, the seizures. Is she in pain you think?? I know the arthritis must be painful and her heart has to work harder..But I also know it is hard for my parents to let her go.... What does everyone think?? Thank you so much , I've loved this kitty very much. It may sound awful, but I am glad I don't have to see her like this. BTW: she is taking some kind of sedative for her seizures, which makes it even harder for her to walk, I'm not sure what it is called..I'll get back to you with that. I wonder if it helps with pain?? Again thanks so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
I'm so sorry about the kitty, but it sounds it's her time to go. Please let us know. 18 years for a cat is very old, and it sounds she had a great, loving life. It's a hard decision.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I'm so sorry about the kitty, but it sounds it's her time to go. Please let us know. 18 years for a cat is very old, and it sounds she had a great, loving life. It's a hard decision.
I'm so sorry for you !
I have been in that situation. It came to a point where I was administering meds. It got to be a fight. I started thinking about the way my dogs must of been feeling. Us getting frustrated that they wouldn't take their meds.
I did not want them to live out the end of their lives with us frustrated. I saw a look in their eyes , both times.
I knew they had a good life. When I finally turned it around. Not thinking about my loss, but how "they" must be feeling. I spoiled them rotten for a few days and made the appointment.
Although it was a very hard thing to deal with... it was so peaceful. Sometimes, I think it is harder to watch (a person or animal) struggle, than it is to know they are no longer suffering.

Hope this makes sense. Its very hard for me to talk about .

Best wishes to you and yours !

Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
It sounds as if the cat was able to live a long and wonderful life. From the picture you paint it does not sound like she's happy any longer and somewhat miserable, it's time to say good-bye.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:24 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I agree, I think it is time to show her that final act of love and let her go. I know it is not easy but when the quality of life is gone, that is the kindest thing anyone can do for her. ((((HUGS)))))

Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
I think the kindest thing you can do it let the cat go.
I am sorry for your loss

Old 09-20-2007, 12:02 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
My beloved vet, "Doc" used to say, "you'll know when it's time." When your kitty doesn't derive any enjoyment from life you'll know. I just went through this with my Spidey. He had feline lukemia when he found us, but lived for 9 years after the diagnosis. He used to love sitting in the sun; one day he didn't bother finding his sun spot (he was very ill by then) and I knew that he was just done. Bless my boy, he is buried in the back yard of the house; my only regret is that he didn't live long enough to see his home again. Sigh, we mourn his death and miss him greatly, but rejoice that he led a good and happy life. Bless you & your parent's hearts, this is such a miserable thing to go through.

You'll know when it's time, and you'll be at peace with it in the end, knowing you've done the right thing at the right moment.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
What a difficult decision to make . Poor Lucy. But, it is probably best for you to just let her go nefore she is in more pain.
Blessings.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies and kind words. I don't think Lucy has very much time. My mother says she has stopped eating, she only drinks water. She hasn't had a BM in about two weeks, I think she said. I would like to see her one last time and say goodbye but it looks like I won't get that chance. I will miss her a lot. I'm sad for her. My mom says she doesn't seem like she is in a lot of pain, from her facial expression, and she never cries out in pain. Of course, I know that doesn't mean that she isn't, cats can hide it well.. We just don't know. She sits behind the coach all day with her head up. She can't walk well, she is wobbly and falls, I guess. I don't want her to suffer, so I wish she would go.. Maybe she doesn't want to go because she knows how much we'll miss her...That may sound silly, but I kind of believe it. Ahhh... I wish I could say goodbye. I don't think my mom will have her put to sleep, trying to convince them is getting me no where, nature will take it's course. Thank you everyone so much for listening...

Old 09-22-2007, 12:31 AM

By the way....I'll keep you posted. Thanks again and blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats