Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Remind your husband that cats need lots and lots of time to adjust to new situations. Ohpo is starting to know he's home. Imagine how devastating it would be for him to be back in a cage at the shelter.

It took 18 months to socialize my lovey cat. She'd never been on a lap, never known love. She now sleeps on my chest every night while I read on the couch, and on my neck when I go to bed, she's on my lap when I'm at the computer.

These things take time, and what else does Ohpo have but time? Ohpo needs you and Zooboo! Things worth having aren't always easy! I'm glad you aren't listening to your husband. There's nothing wrong with a little challenge in life, and when you save a soul while rising to the challenge, it makes the success twice as sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Right now tux kitty is enjoying the sunshine. Orange kitty is up in the kitty hotel...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue Valley Humane Society Critter Cam

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Remind your husband that cats need lots and lots of time to adjust to new situations. Ohpo is starting to know he's home. Imagine how devastating it would be for him to be back in a cage at the shelter.

It took 18 months to socialize my lovey cat. She'd never been on a lap, never known love. She now sleeps on my chest every night while I read on the couch, and on my neck when I go to bed, she's on my lap when I'm at the computer.

These things take time, and what else does Ohpo have but time? Ohpo needs you and Zooboo! Things worth having aren't always easy! I'm glad you aren't listening to your husband. There's nothing wrong with a little challenge in life, and when you save a soul while rising to the challenge, it makes the success twice as sweet.
How did you first get to hold her or have her come to you. I felt like Ohpo knew me because at the shelter he let me reach in the cage and pet him and he even purred. I would throw a play mouse in there and he would flip it around and play with it. Now it seems like he doesn't want anything to do with me and acts like I am a stranger. This morning I couldn't find him again. I know he is out there because he can't get out but every day there is a knew hiding place. It's kinda frustrating and yet zooboo is the total opposite. He is already following me around the house. I don't dare let Ohpoo in the house or I would never find him since he is so good at hiding.

I am pretty sure he is eating and using the litter box because I don't think he would be as active when I do see him if he wasn't.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
How did you first get to hold her or have her come to you. I felt like Ohpo knew me because at the shelter he let me reach in the cage and pet him and he even purred. I would throw a play mouse in there and he would flip it around and play with it. Now it seems like he doesn't want anything to do with me and acts like I am a stranger. This morning I couldn't find him again. I know he is out there because he can't get out but every day there is a knew hiding place. It's kinda frustrating and yet zooboo is the total opposite. He is already following me around the house. I don't dare let Ohpoo in the house or I would never find him since he is so good at hiding.

I am pretty sure he is eating and using the litter box because I don't think he would be as active when I do see him if he wasn't.
Well, for one thing, my cats live in the house with me. Anytime I was home, she was exposed to me and the other cats. Please understand this is not criticism. I don't understand why you kept them in the garage, but I'm sure you had your reasons.

Are you saying that Zooboo is no longer in the garage, Ohpo is in there alone? Yes, when he is brought into the house he will hide, again. Because, again, it will be someplace new.

Ohpo needs to be able to get used to the activities of daily living. He needs routines. My girl knew how things went. She knew, that after all meals were done and play time was over and the computer was turned off, I got on the couch with my book, and that's when the cats would pile on me.

So, after about two years of watching, one night she crept over and settled on my chest. I was so thrilled I barely breathed. I lay as still as possible, and didn't try to touch her. She stayed only a few minutes, but as the months and years went on she stayed longer and longer. A few months ago she kneaded on me, for the first time ever. She's been here over 7 years now, and that was the first time I ever saw her knead. I was so happy! She still does not much like to be touched when she is sleeping on me. She has learned to control her biting, but I have to respect her boundaries, too.

So if you don't want to bring him in the house yet, I think you should leave Zooboo out in the garage too. And you should be spending long hours with them every day. Sitting or lying down with Zooboo on you, so Ohpo can see what life can be like for a house cat.

Better, in my opinion, is to bring him in, and set him up in one room, to start. If he's in the house, even if he is kept in one room, it will help him because he will get used to the sounds and smells of your daily life. Out in the garage he probably can't hear what's going on in the house. He's too isolated. Again, not judging or criticizing, just giving my opinion and experiences.

Before you bring him into that room, bring in some of the boxes he has been using in the garage, so there will be familiar smells already in the room.

A feliway diffuser might help him, too.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well, for one thing, my cats live in the house with me. Anytime I was home, she was exposed to me and the other cats. Please understand this is not criticism. I don't understand why you kept them in the garage, but I'm sure you had your reasons.

Are you saying that Zooboo is no longer in the garage, Ohpo is in there alone? Yes, when he is brought into the house he will hide, again. Because, again, it will be someplace new.

Ohpo needs to be able to get used to the activities of daily living. He needs routines. My girl knew how things went. She knew, that after all meals were done and play time was over and the computer was turned off, I got on the couch with my book, and that's when the cats would pile on me.

So, after about two years of watching, one night she crept over and settled on my chest. I was so thrilled I barely breathed. I lay as still as possible, and didn't try to touch her. She stayed only a few minutes, but as the months and years went on she stayed longer and longer. A few months ago she kneaded on me, for the first time ever. She's been here over 7 years now, and that was the first time I ever saw her knead. I was so happy! She still does not much like to be touched when she is sleeping on me. She has learned to control her biting, but I have to respect her boundaries, too.

So if you don't want to bring him in the house yet, I think you should leave Zooboo out in the garage too. And you should be spending long hours with them every day. Sitting or lying down with Zooboo on you, so Ohpo can see what life can be like for a house cat.

Better, in my opinion, is to bring him in, and set him up in one room, to start. If he's in the house, even if he is kept in one room, it will help him because he will get used to the sounds and smells of your daily life. Out in the garage he probably can't hear what's going on in the house. He's too isolated. Again, not judging or criticizing, just giving my opinion and experiences.

Before you bring him into that room, bring in some of the boxes he has been using in the garage, so there will be familiar smells already in the room.

A feliway diffuser might help him, too.
I totally want zooboo and ohpo to be house cats. The reason I initially put them in the garage was so they would know where the litter box and food are. The door to the garage will always be cracked so they can come in the house and get to the litter box. I just don't want Ohpo to hide in the house and not be able to go in the litter box in the garage. I guess I could catch him and put him in a bedroom with the litter box and food, but then he is confined to a bedroom just as he was the garage.

Zooboo only comes in the house when I open the door so he can. My goal is to have both of them in the house and able to go to the litter box and food in the garage.

I spend hours out in the garage every day working on things and talking to them so they know my voice.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Right now tux kitty is enjoying the sunshine. Orange kitty is up in the kitty hotel...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue Valley Humane Society Critter Cam

I saw a dog in there. Is it for dogs too?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I totally want zooboo and ohpo to be house cats. The reason I initially put them in the garage was so they would know where the litter box and food are. The door to the garage will always be cracked so they can come in the house and get to the litter box. I just don't want Ohpo to hide in the house and not be able to go in the litter box in the garage. I guess I could catch him and put him in a bedroom with the litter box and food, but then he is confined to a bedroom just as he was the garage.

Zooboo only comes in the house when I open the door so he can. My goal is to have both of them in the house and able to go to the litter box and food in the garage.

I spend hours out in the garage every day working on things and talking to them so they know my voice.
Okay, I understand your method. The time you spend in the garage, is it the same times every day? Routine is very important. And some of that time should be spent being just very still and quiet, reading a book maybe. If you are working, you are, in Ohpo's mind, a potential threat. He doens't feel safe yet, when you are up and about.

Sitting still and quiet gives him time to get used to your presence without worrying you will turn your attention on him. Even better if Zooboo will jump in your lap during the quiet time.

When he does start to creep out, when you are in there, just ignore him, so he knows he can, without drawing your attention..

I really think it will be okay. It just takes time. For some cats, lots and lots of time. Ohpo has all the time he needs. He's safe, has food, litter box and shelter. It may take weeks, it may take months, but he'll get there.

I have a friend who rescued a cat, there is no telling the horrors he has seen. He's lost an eye and has other disabilities from whatever happened to him. For the first eight months he lived under her bed, she never even saw him at all. He still lives under the bed, but he's started coming out to eat or use the litter box, even when she is in the room. The other day she was able to touch him. Just for a moment, and she worried it would be a set back, because he was so frightened, but then two days later, she touched him again, and this time he actually leaned into the touch for a moment, before going back to his sanctuary.

It can be done. You're lucky. You have Zooboo for your instant lap cat, and you have Ohpo, with whom you will experience the heart-filling joy with every tiny bit of progress he makes.

There is nothing like the feeling of winning a scaredy-cat's trust, no matter how long it takes. It is a wonderful awe inspiring experience. Baby steps, always, baby steps.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I think Ohpo will be fine too. He let you pet him in the shelter, which had become his sad little home. Now his life has been disrupted again, and he's still trying to figure out what the heck happened now, and what might happen next. Once he adjusts to having another new environment, he should relax. Since you know he likes toys, maybe you could play with Zooboo in front of him, and occasionally let one go past him. If he chases it, don't go toward him, but just keep playing there and maybe he'll join in more.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
I saw a dog in there. Is it for dogs too?
Yes, parttime kitties, parttime doogies.

When the sun came up this morning, tux kitty & orange kitty were enjoying the sunshine. It's supposed to be 92 today.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Last night I got home from work and Zooboo wanted in so we let him in and were playing with him for a few minutes. We were sitting with him right by the door into the garage. We were talking, laughing etc. Then zooboo wanted to go out so my husband opened the garage door and there was Ohpo by the door! Of course he took off running, but I think this is progress?

Also someone at work said when I am in the garage don't go looking for Ohpo because then I will come upon his many hiding places and it will scare him even more and he will look for a new hiding place and not go back to the previous place. I have found this to be true! He has MANY places and when I find him there, he is never there again.

I made a box with a hole in it and put a blanket in it. The box is fully closed with the exception of the hole on the end and a small hole on the side. I put it under the work bench. I thought he could get in that (maybe) and view us from the hole on the side.

I am feeling more confident that he might be coming around. I am also trying to spend the same time each day sitting in the garage, talking or just reading a book.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats