Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
You got to force a little. Stick it in its mouth and pump the milk into it's mouth.
From what I'm reading, force feeding her is not a good idea.

Quote:
Kitten should suck the bottle, not be forced down the throat. If the kitten is sucking, the ears move and the mouth creates a suction around the bottle. This prevents the food from going down the air pipes which can cause pneumonia.
Sue Freeman's Guide to Rescue Cats

I did put a drop or two in her mouth, without forcing it down her throat, hoping that she would swallow it willingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How is little baby now?
I just checked her. I put my hand inside her "cave" (a bucket with the hot water bottle on the bottom and a towel over that and loosely over her) and she's warm and responded to my touch by moving around and making her little noises. She's very active and quite strong in her movements.

The last time I tried to feed her was around 7:30 and then I held her and cuddled and stroked her for quite awhile after; I'm going to give the baby goats their evening bottle and then see if I can get the kitten to eat.

*Sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 PM

She just took 2 cc's.

I don't know - maybe I worry too much. Her little tummy is quite round and her movements are very strong - it's hard to hold onto her when she gets to squirming.

Still no poop since this morning; if there's been pee, it's come off on the washcloth and I didn't see it.

Yesterday was such a good day, with her excellent eating and pooping and peeing, that not getting that today has worried me.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Remember that mothers will push one out of the nest if they feel survival does not look promising.
Rabbits, squirrels, birds and cats all do this. It is not that the mother did not love them, they just have to expend all available energy for babies that look like they will prosper.

Feedings and defecation should be done every three to four hours.
Good luck.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
You got to force a little. Stick it in its mouth and pump the milk into it's mouth.
You don't know what you're talking about. You don't force feed ANY babies, whether they're human or an animal.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I'm going to have stop reading this thread as I am such a worrier. Are you exhausted? I sure would be. You have so many responsibilities and round the clock care of this wee one takes some physical and emotional energy. Good luck and thank you.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Just checking in on Little Baby. I hope you were able to get her to eat enough, and poop some more! Still praying for her that she makes it.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Thinking of you and your baby girl this morning. I hope so much she's hanging in there.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Are you exhausted?
Yes.

I think she's doing much better this morning. She ate twice during the night, for a total of about 4 cc's. I had set the alarm on my cell phone to wake me up to take care of her but that wasn't necessary because she is quite capable, and loud enough, to wake me herself.

That took her total for 24 hours at just 16 cc's - less than the 20 cc's that website recommends for her weight. But she's chubby and very active and strong.

She took another 3 1/2 cc's this morning and pottied. I am a little concerned about being too rough with her on the potty thing - I'm afraid I'm going to cause her to have an irritation. I did switch from using a rough washcloth to a much softer old man's handkerchief; then I got to thinking that maybe that isn't rough enough, seeing as how momma's tongues are pretty rough.

Last night, I was thinking that if she didn't have a better night and morning that I was probably going to take her to a vet. That website said they sometimes need antibiotics. However, at this point, I don't think it's necessary. I may call a vet this morning, though, and see if they have any advice - I'm wondering if some kitten probiotics might not be a good idea.

Oh! And she purred! The other day, I thought I might have felt some faint vibration in my hand when I was holding her but I couldn't be sure. This morning, after her early morning feeding and potty, I was laying in bed with her. I was on my side and I had her up kind of under my chin and with my arm kind of crooked around her and I was stroking her with my other hand and I heard her purring! No doubt about it! I was so happy!

I need to find her a buddy of some type - some small stuffed animal I can put in with her. I know I have stuffed animals around here but I don't know if I have anything small enough. Anything too big and I think it could be a danger to her, possibly smothering her. If I can't find anything suitable around here, when I go to town today, I'll find something.

I'm also thinking about switching her over to a kitten bottle. I've been using a syringe but she seems to have a strong sucking instinct (she tries to latch onto my skin) and I'm thinking that maybe a soft nipple might be more satisfying to her than the plastic tip of the syringe. Too bad there is no such thing as kitten pacifiers - or is there?

Her features are changing. She's still white but her little ears have turned grey. She seems to have a lot more body hair than she did at first, too. I'd like to see her weight come up; I wish I had thought to weigh her when I first brought her home but didn't think about it until the following day - when I weighed her then, she weighed 2 1/2 ounces and 24 hours later (yesterday), she still weighed 2 1/2 ounces. Next time she wakes up, I'll see what she weighs today.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement and good wishes and prayers. I'll be glad when we reach the milestone of open eyes; I think that will be a HUGE deal and will mean a lot about her outcome.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Pooping and purring -- what a reward! Thanks for keeping us updated. Paws crossed in our house for you and your tiny furball.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I needed a smile this morning, and you sure provided it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats