Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

We had to put Fletcher to sleep on Christmas Eve. The good thing was that after stopping the chemo, he had 3 really good weeks, eating really well and almost no vomitting (it had been daily). He acted healthy and happy the whole time. Then Saturday 12/22 he stopped eating. He still drank water, but had trouble maneuvering himself to be able to drink from the sink faucets (he loved that). So I carried him to the cat-it fountain a bunch of times and he drank. By Sunday his back legs seemed weak, and he just wanted to lie on the bed, and he stopped drinking water. The other cats were all cuddling him, keeping him company. He was still purring and bright-eyed, so he didn't seem to be suffering yet, but we knew it wouldn't be long. Then on Monday, he stumbled to the litter box and seemd like he wanted to "go" but couldn't, and he tried to lie down in the litter. I carried him back to the bed, and he was still purring.
We took him to his vet hospital where he'd gone for chemo, since he'd been very comfortable going there. It was quick and peaceful, and we were both with him.

He was such a great boy. We have a lot of cats, but he will really leave a big hole. He had a great silly personality and was always so involved in whatever we were doing. Making noise, yelling, stomping on us and "kneading" us. Patroling the house, "helping" with household chores, taking attendance with the other kitties. Making us turn the sinks on for him. We adopted him when he was one year old, from a rescue that had placed him in an adoptive home when he was a kitten, but they "returned" him at a year old because he annoyed them, by being so vocal. That story got to us, and we took him gladly; that was 9 years ago. He quickly fit in with our gang, and eventually became the leader. We loved his "talking"! He was always yowling, usually with just happiness and contentment, and sometimes to command us to do stuff. We'll really miss him, and I'm so grateful I had him in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Tracy, I'm so sorry for your loss. It seems you did just right by Fletcher, and I'm glad he didn't have to suffer much at the end. Treasure those wonderful memories of him!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved boy. Fletcher's story is very beautiful, what joy he brought to you in his short 9 years, and you to him, also.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
I know you are missing your boy, and I am sending you healing thoughts and many hugs. It sounded like you were doing absolutely everything in your power to help him feel better and try to heal. I remember you saying that he loved lying under the tree - and I hope he got to do that before he went home. This could not have come at a worse time, but there is no good time, and I am glad you were both with him, and that you made a conscious decision and knew when the time was right. You did a wonderful thing for him, and he paid you back by making you happy and giving you smiles and good memories of your years together. I am truly sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing your experience here with us all. God bless.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,720 times
My 14 year old Maine Coon "Blanche" has small cell lymphoma and has been on Leukerin every 3 days for a year and a half...with a couple months break. Always a big cat, Blanche weighed 12 pounds, but lost to 6 pounds before the ultrasound and exploratory surgery and biopsy proved the lymphoma was indeed the issue. In this "second round" of Leukerin and prednisone (daily) Blanche has become weaker, her voice raspy and of recent, her energy level very low. She sleeps a lot and despite the B-12 injections I give her, she has lost much of her once high energy level. I'm sure the 2nd go around must be tough on her body and I hope this Leukerin will once again keep the sickness away for her, as she is like a "mother" to our other 4 babies....and has always been there. I'm reading about other chemo trials and I'm not sure how successful they would be after a trial of Leukerin, but I'm willing to do what it takes to help my baby girl beat this a bit longer. Thanks for this forum and for sharing your stories. We all know the ultimate outcome of this. We all dread where it leads. I for one want to help Blanche fight and prove that she's a winner. My baby girl Blanche.

http://www.justcircuit.com/portals/0/images/blanche.jpg

Last edited by ShaneRog; 02-11-2013 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,236 times
Default lymphoma on the hind leg

Just found out today that my male 9 year old cat has an aggressive form of lymphoma.

He has a big mass around his leg and a swollen paw. How did I not see this before!
I was told this is the first time they saw it in the leg not the stomach.
Also has a mass the size of a golf ball in his upper thigh but not visible.
Then he has something on his lungs but the x-ray could not determine what it was.

I live in the Bay Area where everything cost double- Has anyone had luck with the Elspar treatment?
And what did it cost you? How about pills? How did they help.

I am still in shock and do not know what to do or make him comfortable.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I just DM'd you. Hoping for the best...

Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,164 times
I am so sorry for all the lost lives. I just lost my baby girl (Francesca) to fibrosarcoma, she was 17 yrs. old. A few months after her diagnosis, my only other cat (Renato) was diagnosed with renal lymphoma, he is 15 yrs. old. I have had both of them since they were babies, and I am so sad. Renato keeps losing weight, the oncologist says he is "cancer stable", but to me, he seems weaker. He does not have nodules or anything like that, his cancer is located in the kidneys but in the form of cancerous cells.
He gets chemo, and b-12 shots, but he keeps losing weight. Does anyone know how to counteract weight loss in anemic cats that have lymphoma?
Thanks in advance.
M

Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,097 times
Thank you for this information. I received the unforatunate news today that my 14 year old calico "Maggie" also has lymphoma in the intestines. She dropped weight so gradually that I did not notice until she lost her appetite completely. We are still waiting on blood tests and agonizing over the options. It was nice to read your post and consider what others have done. Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbeanlvr View Post
Thank you for this information. I received the unforatunate news today that my 14 year old calico "Maggie" also has lymphoma in the intestines. She dropped weight so gradually that I did not notice until she lost her appetite completely. We are still waiting on blood tests and agonizing over the options. It was nice to read your post and consider what others have done. Thanks so much for sharing.
Sorry to hear about Maggie. Our girl had small cell and thrived for 13 wonderful months on Leukeran and Prednisolone. We kept the cancer at bay and lost her just shy of her 18th birthday, due to general organ failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats