Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,064 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a cat in years, but when my elderly dog died we adopted an orange motorboat who is now five months old.

We have one really tall window (among smaller ones) and it would be cool for him to look out. So I've been researching and researching cat trees on Amazon, Overstock, Petco etc. and getting absolutely no where. They all appear to have four stars for the most part, but if you scroll down and read the one and two star reviews, the perches are too small, the pasteboard construction is flimsy, the carpet falls apart after a month, the whole thing smells like glue or urine etc.

I can't believe that buying a cat tree is such a big deal, but I don't want to pay $130 and two months later have a piece of junk.

Do you have any suggestions? It appears that the Amarkat and Go Pet products are the two biggest culprits for producing poor quality stuff.

I don't mind going as high as $150 or $160.

Making my own is a great idea, but I don't have the skills.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I have bought several cat trees (both medium-sized, say 30-40" tall, and the really tall ones) from overstock. I have found their prices to be WAY better than those at my local pet stores. I find that my cats tend to use the lower ones more often (usually every day), but they like to climb and perch on the higher ones sometimes too. (They don't tend to use the higher ones for scratching -- mostly just climb & oversee their "kingdom"!)

I always read the reviews first too. Yes, there are often 1-star reviews in a product rated mostly 5 stars, but why would you concentrate on the lower-rated reviews when there are so vastly many more 5-star?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I always read the reviews first too. Yes, there are often 1-star reviews in a product rated mostly 5 stars, but why would you concentrate on the lower-rated reviews when there are so vastly many more 5-star?
Thank you for writing. The reason I look closely at the one-star reviews is because I'm worried that the companies pay people to write the five-star reviews. For example, I buy a lot of clothes for my boys from Lands End and read their reviews a lot before buying. It's very obvious that Land's End is paying people to write reviews. They sound silly: "my son loved these shirts so much, I'm going to buy one in every color!"

Those sort of sentences come up again and again because I don't think the writers can think of new things to say after awhile. So on the cat trees I keep seeing "perfect for multiple cats!" and they go on and on about the company and how good it is and how you "can't beat such-and-such company."

For the real truth it's a good idea to read the three, two and one stars.

Alley

Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
I found the lower starred reviews tend to focus on the issues I have, perches too small, tree to flimsy for a 15 pound cat hurling its self full lilt at the tree, etc.

I haven't ordered online yet, but Overstock has the best prices I've found.

Big Lots has had some smaller but very sturdy cat furniture, but you Have to check over every inch of the tree for protruding, or lose, staples. Probably a good idea for all cat furniture these days.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,743 times
I have an Armarkat and my one cat who likes being high up is on it every day. I also like that I can buy individual pieces to replace as they wear out. The tree came in pieces and I just screwed it together. Easy. I've probably had it since 2005.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
We bought two big ones at Petsmart (keep an eye on sales) and one at Overstock. Both cats are all over them. The preference of the day seems to vary. I added inexpensive fleece throws to the deep "trays". Yes, please check for staples, screws, threads and connections of the toys!

We found that replacement teasers for some popular fishing rod toys can replace the ones on the cat trees.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I haven't had a cat in years, but when my elderly dog died we adopted an orange motorboat who is now five months old.

We have one really tall window (among smaller ones) and it would be cool for him to look out. So I've been researching and researching cat trees on Amazon, Overstock, Petco etc. and getting absolutely no where. They all appear to have four stars for the most part, but if you scroll down and read the one and two star reviews, the perches are too small, the pasteboard construction is flimsy, the carpet falls apart after a month, the whole thing smells like glue or urine etc.

I can't believe that buying a cat tree is such a big deal, but I don't want to pay $130 and two months later have a piece of junk.

Do you have any suggestions? It appears that the Amarkat and Go Pet products are the two biggest culprits for producing poor quality stuff.

I don't mind going as high as $150 or $160.

Making my own is a great idea, but I don't have the skills.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Alley
Hi! I am attaching a link to a place I have kept on my radar but as of yet I have not bought from them as yet. When the time comes to replace some of our cat furniture (coming soon!!) I intend to but from here. I have not found any better prices. See what you think, and good luck with your little fellow!! We love pictures on this site... Here is the link: CatTreeStore - Freeshipping Cat Tree, Cat Condo, Cat Furniture, Cat Tower

Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
This one is similar to the one I have.

Petco Premium Tree Highrise for Cats - Cat Tree and Cat Furniture from petco.com

We've had it for a few years now and it is doing well with 3 cats.

Granted my 16 year old cat usually doesn't play on it, but my 2 year old boy loves it. Mine is a slightly different set up, but it was the Petco brand.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 AM

857 posts, read 975,594 times
I bought a "Molly and Friends" cat tree and my cats LOVE it! Very solid and well made. It was the smaller one with the cat face and it's very cute. I think I paid $104, but that was about three years ago. If you click on the link, you will see three of my kitties.

http://www.amazon.com/Molly-Friends-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Last edited by shelby1half; 01-16-2013 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: link

Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Just something to be aware of, I bought a Whisker City Petsmart brand cat tree a year and a half ago, and it was adequate quality for the Sale price. The same design, and named cat tree is now flimsier and the carpet is already shedding at the store and has a stronger, noticeable "carpet" odor, I wouldn't buy it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats