Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:49 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Did you tell this neighbor about the problem and her contributing to the problem?

She is just trying to be kind to the cats because she thinks they will starve without her feeding them. Try to explain to her that she is not helping them by feeding them.
Really?! Of course I've talked with her! Repeatedly, I've explain the consequences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 03:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
No, we asked around and found a few rural families who want feral cats for their barns and farmland. We released the feral cats to them. But I don't know what we'll do when they tell us they have enough cats. I won't release them anywhere just to make them someone elses problem. I wouldn't want that done to us.

I tried taming some of the feral kittens by catching and releasing them into our bathroom. OMG! Hubby had a fit! We can't let them mingle with our own indoor cats because they are not vaccinated for outdoor diseases like Feline Leukemia. The wild kittens ran around the bathroom peeing and pooping everywhere except in the box of dirt I had provided. They hissed and spit like little demons. Soon the smell drifted throughout our home. Hubby said "get 'em outta here!" (and rightfully so), so I had to release them back outside. Several weeks later we caught mama and the babies and got them all to the same farm.

I had even offered to pay half of the $50 TNR cost for the mama before she had another litter. I wouldn't care if the cats were released back here, but this neighbor refuses to take a proactive stance. She won't spend a dime on the spaying/neutering.

But it wouldn't matter anyway. She refuses to stop putting out the daily food. I could spend several hundred on spaying and neutering wild cats, yet still not solve the problem. Very frustrating.
This sounds really, really frustrating. Glad you found some rural places where the cats were welcome.

In your place, I'd approach this as a neighborhood nuisance issue and see what your local code enforcement officer has to say as well as find out if there's a limit on domestic pets per household in your jurisdiction. It could very well be that local ordinances don't address feral cats at all and that these would be considered her pets since she's feeding them on a regular basis and has been doing so for quite some time. I'd just tell them I had a neighbor with a bunch of cats that were damaging property, reproducing like mad, and possibly creating health hazards by not being vaxxed.

Feral cat "caregivers" do have some legal protections in some areas, but these are generally contingent on the cats being provided with basic healthcare as well as spaying and neutering, and she's not doing these things.

Also, there are organizations in some areas that pay the spay/neutering costs of feral/strays. You might check here to see if there's any organizations like that in your area:

https://www.alleycat.org

To keep them out of your yard, you might look into some strategically places sprinklers activated by motion detectors.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Why did you buy that place?

Old 06-06-2019, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 946 times
We have a guy that comes into our neighborhood and feeds his unwanted cats. He does not live in our neighborhood. We have asked him to stop but he just gets mad and yells at us that he is doing nothing wrong. The police have told him to leave and not come back, but he does. He lies saying he has permission even though he doesnt. He dumps the food on all four curbs of the streets thru our neighborhood so I wait till he is out of view then scoop it up and put in trash. But if he sees me he goes off yelling at telling me what I can and can't do. Then calls 911 telling them I am threatening him. When it is him that is harassing me. He has punched my car, keyed my truck, and a person who was feeding for while he was sick or something pepper sprayed me in my face while with my back to her and came up from behind me. These car hoarders are extremely dangerous and will lie about everything they are doing even the part that tnr is helping. And this guy uses tnr as a cover so he brings in more of his unwanted cats. He is a disgrace to anyone who is truly trying to help with the unwanted cats. Peter wolf and his unwanted cat crew have done nothing but become a nuisance to are neborhood. He is dangerous and lies, and has been asked by many in our neighborhood to stop and leave, and the police. Told him we would help him trap his cats so he can take them to his neighborhood his house. But he just yells and gets angry. Why would he want this in his neighborhood. He has even gone as far to lie under oath to a judge, this is how much integrity he has. It's dicusting the type of person he is. And he is supposedly a expert on this. Don't know what makes person an expert but he holds no degree in biology. And he represents the unwanted cat community then they are setting the bar pretty low
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats