Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:54 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Most of the poor babies used to have a home and don't know how to fend for themselves. I leave food out and have rescued four. Two for me, re-homed another, and one needed euthanasia - he was dying slowly and painfully.

Not going to stop feeding! No hoards have come to bother anyone. 4 are better than I found them due to modest efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
I haven't read all of this, but I hope someone has mentioned TNR (trap, neuter, release) programs? Probably available in your area; check online or with your local shelter.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Di you know that cats who once had a home yearn for one again, even if they are really scared to accept one? I worked on one for two years. When he finally could trust me, you should have seen how happy he was. Poor baby. That is a long time to be out there as sick as he was. :-(

Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Di you know that cats who once had a home yearn for one again, even if they are really scared to accept one? I worked on one for two years. When he finally could trust me, you should have seen how happy he was. Poor baby. That is a long time to be out there as sick as he was. :-(
I once adopted a cat that had been abandoned twice in the same town. She was well known to the residents. Mostly a Siamese, and just the best cat ever. She hated to be indoors during the day, but spent every day indoors for three months cuddling with me when I was recovering from brain surgery. I miss her.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I once adopted a cat that had been abandoned twice in the same town. She was well known to the residents. Mostly a Siamese, and just the best cat ever. She hated to be indoors during the day, but spent every day indoors for three months cuddling with me when I was recovering from brain surgery. I miss her.
Bless you, and I am sorry for your loss.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:08 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I feed one feral at the back of my yard. She lives in the wide hedge and won't come near me, but she does wait for her evening meal every day if the weather is decent. I'm not ever trapping her because she would probably be euthanized, and she's already old and one-eyed. When it's her time to "go", she will, She doesn't hurt anything in my yard anyway. If she gets sick enough to let me catch her, I'll take her to the vet though. She's a pitiful old thing.

I have fed several strays (one of which was kicked out by the moron renters that live behind me.) That cat was sweet and turned out to have FIV. After I took him to the local shelter he went to a lifetime rescue (I transported him there, so I knew he was safe.) The second stray was just as sweet, obviously had been a house cat, also FIV+, and is still at the shelter with a URI. They have done a tremendous amount of treatments for her, and are trying to place her at the same rescue as the other stray cat with FIV. It's one of the few rescues that will take them.

People who abandon and/or neglect their cats in this manner make me absolutely livid.
That is so good of you. We've caught two ferals/semi-ferals and had them neutered and then we released them.
One mother (her three kits are teenagers now, running around playing and doing cat stuff; we caught one so far) we had great sympathy for disappeared for about nine days after we released her. She showed up last night, absolutely famished. She made good eye contact and let us get reasonably close to her. She's been hanging around our back yard for the better part of a year.

Another kitty who was obviously not of this tribe and who looked to be feeling the extreme cold more than the others is living in our garage now. She was very friendly and let me pet her immediately. In the morning she'd come galloping up to us for feeding time. She had no chip and didn't show up on lost and found.
She had round worms which have now been dealt with. We're letting her in gradually, as we have two older rescues who we've had for two years.

She's hissed at them despite that they're not a threat, and she needs to learn one does not claw the furniture. She's very friendly and we figure she was put out, someone moved or died or got sick, or something else. She's not talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I haven't read all of this, but I hope someone has mentioned TNR (trap, neuter, release) programs? Probably available in your area; check online or with your local shelter.
https://humaneohio.org/

Old 02-28-2018, 03:01 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,910 times
My neighbors have over 80 cats. A few inside the home, some are in buildings with indoor/outdoor space, but many just roam and live in the barns.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
My neighbors have over 80 cats. A few inside the home, some are in buildings with indoor/outdoor space, but many just roam and live in the barns.
would seem obvious they don't spay/neuter

How can one possible properly care for 80 cats? They can't. That is worrisome and sad to me.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:00 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I do know, as I have met such cats. There are very few things that make me sadder or more angry than the sight of a pet that has been betrayed in this way, by just dumping it. I try not to hate anyone, but it seems appropriate in this situation.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:34 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
If one can be prosecuted to fullest extent for abandoning animals (ala' humans) then it should be so. I'm in favor of VERY strict sentencing guidelines for stray cats -- that can be proven to have been owned, neglected, abused, abandoned, etc.

This would deter more than just a current slap on the wrist. I bust my butt to help strays & spend inordinate $, & forego things I WANT -- & yet, there are morons out there getting away w/ just intentionally causing these animals to suffer.

Where in hell is the justice in this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats