Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times

Advertisements

Phaedra is acting normal but there is still blood on her stool. I had to take in a fresh sample today to see if they can find any type of parasite or their eggs - again. Zeb also has blood on his stool now. The vets are perplexed. No sign of parasites were found in the last two fecals they ran, just a higher than normal count of bacteria was seen. If this specimen is also negative then the next step is to do cultures, if that proves futile, then go in (invasive and expensive) and take biopsies. Since two of them now have this she's of the mind this may be something contagious. Both have had blood on their stool in the past, maybe some long standing condition is coming to a head. Over $400 and we still don't know what's wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 AM

380 posts, read 833,397 times
Just a heads-up:
Be careful if you are feeding ANY Purina products in your rotation. These are still coming in; so many different foods under their umbrella are named among the over 600 horror stories this year, including the canned cat foods. (Beneful actually has its OWN dedicated page on the site, so these stories don't even include all of those!):

Top 644 Complaints and Reviews about Purina Pet Foods
Quote:
Candace of Branch, LA on July 23, 2013
Satisfaction Rating
1/5

...I am not 100% sure that the food has something to do with it, but after reading all of this and the complaints on Purina's FB page, I am 99.999999% sure something is wrong with their products. When I called them this morning they told me that they haven't had any complaints and I just can't believe that considering all of these posts and the ones on FB that Purina responded to INCLUDING MY POST ON IT!! Unbelievable!!!
There was finally (!) a recall of the "One" brand, this past September: Recalls & Withdrawals
Wonder how many had to die before that particular one was finally recalled, and how many pet owners are even aware?

(PS Nestle owns them - crossing fingers it's not in your rotation. )

Wanted to post this because many of the stories parallel yours -- bloody poop/diarreah/and-or vomiting... and nobody can diagnose the cause. That is, until people get on the 'Net and see others' similar stories with the common denominator being a particular brand of food.

Last edited by Pamina333; 10-18-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Best of luck to you in investigating. Hope all is well very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
There was finally (!) a recall of the "One" brand, this past September: Recalls & Withdrawals
That was dog food and it was one specific variety and lot.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Paws crossed for your kitties, here is hoping it's something that can be found and cured without too much further difficulty, hardship, or expense!

I didn't see much in that forum about Purina One canned cat food. We occasionally get Purina One Smartblend chicken or turkey...but I don't give it often because I know that with the gravy sauce it has to be carb heavy, comes with the territory in the gravy laden varieties. But Nimbus really really likes it, apparently it's delicious. Made the error of grabbing a can of the healthy metabolism variety recently. It evidently smells icky, he didn't want to eat it...

Old 10-18-2013, 10:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
How frustrating and worrisome for you with two kitties afflicted. The not knowing what the cause is is the part that I have trouble with because my mind works overtime worrying and imagining. I truly hope they get to the bottom of the problem soon - I want them feeling good as well as you and your DH not being stressed out over them. I know how expensive vet costs are (trust me!!) and I have fingers and paws crossed for you all. Good luck to all - keep us posted, please???

Old 10-19-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
Just a heads-up:
Be careful if you are feeding ANY Purina products in your rotation. These are still coming in; so many different foods under their umbrella are named among the over 600 horror stories this year, including the canned cat foods. (Beneful actually has its OWN dedicated page on the site, so these stories don't even include all of those!):

Top 644 Complaints and Reviews about Purina Pet Foods
I don't know what's left to feed them other than buying meat at the grocery and making their food. My only fear is I'll get the supplements wrong that MUST be added to make it balanced. I spoke to the vet and she strongly suggested we change their diet - to something they haven't been eating. And she suggests rabbit, venison, duck etc. To avoid chicken and turkey. I think we'll try another brand of canned food but how can we know which has no affiliation with Purina? Many foods come from the same mfg plants with different labels. But yes, the symptoms are the same as mentioned in the link. When you read what goes into pet food it makes you shudder. It's anything but those lovely chunks of meat you see in the advertisements. This goes for the kibble mix also. From what I read, they all get the animal byproducts from the same few companies to make their feed. The only Purina product in the mix is Kitten Chow as it has chicken as the first ingredient and is the cats favorite food. The other 3 are expensive grain-free kibbles with at least 40% protein. Oh, and this last fecal they ran had normal amounts of bacteria.

Another thing is, read the labels and you'll see that chicken is added to feeds labeled some kind of fish or beef... they seem to add chicken to everything. It must be the CHEAPEST byproduct out there. And it's all, from what I read, ground up cooked-down feet, heads, feathers (a protein source), internal organs man wont eat and the diseased chickens rejected as human food.

Quote:
Wonder how many had to die before that particular one was finally recalled, and how many pet owners are even aware?

(PS Nestle owns them - crossing fingers it's not in your rotation. )
No, it isn't. The only Purina dry product we buy for the mix is the kitten chow. The rest of their cat food kibble is loaded with cheap fillers.

Quote:
Wanted to post this because many of the stories parallel yours -- bloody poop/diarreah/and-or vomiting... and nobody can diagnose the cause. That is, until people get on the 'Net and see others' similar stories with the common denominator being a particular brand of food.
After speaking with the vet, and them not finding any kind of parasites in the stool, I can see they feel this is somehow diet related.....

Old 10-19-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Paws crossed for your kitties, here is hoping it's something that can be found and cured without too much further difficulty, hardship, or expense!
We can manage the expenses by scrimping a little more, but when you spend that much and still have no answers it's frustrating and almost depressing. Phaedra is back to normal though and that makes us feel a lot better.

Quote:
I didn't see much in that forum about Purina One canned cat food. We occasionally get Purina One Smartblend chicken or turkey...but I don't give it often because I know that with the gravy sauce it has to be carb heavy, comes with the territory in the gravy laden varieties. But Nimbus really really likes it, apparently it's delicious. Made the error of grabbing a can of the healthy metabolism variety recently. It evidently smells icky, he didn't want to eat it...
As for canned Purina called "Friskies", our cats love it too. They love the shreds and bites. They don't care much for the Pate. They must add some of that stuff call "Digests" to it that cats find addictive and is used on kibble. But I have never seen a "Purina One" here in cans. It's called Purina Friskies.

Oh, that was another thing the Vet said - to get them on a LOW-CARB diet!!! The vets are smartening up!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
How frustrating and worrisome for you with two kitties afflicted. The not knowing what the cause is is the part that I have trouble with because my mind works overtime worrying and imagining. I truly hope they get to the bottom of the problem soon - I want them feeling good as well as you and your DH not being stressed out over them. I know how expensive vet costs are (trust me!!) and I have fingers and paws crossed for you all. Good luck to all - keep us posted, please???
Thank you CF. It seems to be pointing at diet. They have to get off Friskies canned (anything with chicken and turkey) and all kibble with grains. We will try some other canned brands but we know what a waste that will be. They only like Friskies so we'll try mixing the new brand with Friskies, adding more of the new each day and see if that works. They're not on any kibble with grains at the moment. I'm worried about my DH as much as the cats right now. This stress isn't helping him any. They found something serious on his stress test early this week so he has to go see a Cardiologist on Monday. I will go with him of course.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
As for canned Purina called "Friskies", our cats love it too. They love the shreds and bites. They don't care much for the Pate. They must add some of that stuff call "Digests" to it that cats find addictive and is used on kibble. But I have never seen a "Purina One" here in cans. It's called Purina Friskies.
Just for clarity, Purina ONE is a different product. They would consider it higher end although I don't really know if the grades of ingredients are higher grade or not. I never seriously considered it when I was trying to get higher quality food. I think the ONE may only be in the pet speciality stores (Petsmart, Petco, etc) and not in the grocery like Friskies, although I'm not entirely sure at this point. I do remember staring at cans in the grocery store at times because I was buying certain treats and also baby food, and my memory suggests not seeing ONE but that was months ago now. I did buy some Friskies because Amber had enjoyed the Whiskas Tender Moments treat flavor that has cheese and some of the Friskies flavors have cheese. Hey, you try anything when the cat doesn't eat.

Fancy Feast is also a Purina product for whatever that is worth. Couldn't say at this point if it's really important to generally avoid the whole company. Too many factors, i.e. what will the cat eat, how much you can spend on food, how easy it is to source other food, etc. In ideal conditions I probably wouldn't buy their stuff, but few of us are in ideal conditions.

Good luck with adjusting their diet.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
I'm so glad to hear that Phaedra's back to normal! Sending good thoughts for your husband's cardiologist appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats