Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times

Advertisements

The medication is not working. She also manages to throw the pills up. The constant fighting her to get the pills in her mouth is getting to us all. She's starting to look depressed and fearful now. She foams and salivates and you can see she's terrified of being "pilled". She hates it. There is still pale watery blood in her feces. She refuses to lick off the Hairball Jell. We find it on the carpets, the walls, the furniture. I managed to get a little in her mouth this afternoon and we think she did swallow it. She brought up a few small hairballs in the past few days whereas she usually yaks one up the size of a mouse. But this isn't a hairball blockage issue. So I called the Vet again and we have to bring her in in the morning. It's clear to us they have no idea what's wrong with her. The Vet I spoke to this evening said they'd worm her/treat her for parasites even though there are no signs of parasites or their eggs in her stool.

Last edited by =^..^=; 10-04-2013 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Sorry. Hope things get better soon.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
How terrible for all of you. I hope the vet can discover what wrong and begin successful treatment tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:36 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
For goodness sake, worm her? It could be hairball related, a hairball can cause very serious blockage but worming and toxic petroleum products are not the answer.

What the heck is the matter with your vet? She needs an ultrasound to see what's going on inside. All this guess work is ludicrous. Take her somewhere else, is my advice. Good grief.

I'm sorry this is happening but it's time for a second opinion.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The medication is not working. She also manages to throw the pills up. The constant fighting her to get the pills in her mouth is getting to us all. She's starting to look depressed and fearful now. She foams and salivates and you can see she's terrified of being "pilled". She hates it. There is still pale watery blood in her feces. She refuses to lick off the Hairball Jell. We find it on the carpets, the walls, the furniture. I managed to get a little in her mouth this afternoon and we think she did swallow it. She brought up a few small hairballs in the past few days whereas she usually yaks one up the size of a mouse. But this isn't a hairball blockage issue. So I called the Vet again and we have to bring her in in the morning. It's clear to us they have no idea what's wrong with her. The Vet I spoke to this evening said they'd worm her/treat her for parasites even though there are no signs of parasites or their eggs in her stool.

Hmmm.....it sounds to me as though there is something else going on. I would think the next step would be an ultrasound and/or an exploratory surgery so they can get in there and see what is wrong. I don't understand the worming if there are no signs of parasites. The medicine would make her evacuate - but if she is blocked badly I don't see that really happening without some pain and trauma for her. An enema would serve the purpose without adding a chemical to kill something that isn't there. Are you sure you have total confidence in your vet? Is there someone you would trust for a second opinion? I am very worried, as I'm sure you are too!! Hoping for the best - please let us know what happens. I am praying for better news.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I vote for a second opinion too. I hope you can get to the bottom of this, and poor Phaedra will be well soon.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 AM

24,572 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Please take her to another vet!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Poor sweetie. I'm no vet, but treating her for parasites when there are none makes no sense. Is there another vet in the practice that can see her?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Poor sweetie. I'm no vet, but treating her for parasites when there are none makes no sense. Is there another vet in the practice that can see her?
I hope she gets to feeling better and I agree with Ohiogirl. There are a quite a few in our practice and I def think some are more knowledgeable than others.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Holy smokes.....worming? I don't think so.

There's a kitty next door I kittysit for. He's been dx'd with intestinal lymphoma. He's been on prednisolone (sp) now since May and his intestinal tract has responded extremely well. He's given one tab every other day.

I'm not sure it is available in injectable form, but there are other derivatives which are which my vets have used for my cats, then following up with tablet or oral suspension.

I'm so sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats