Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:34 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

We have had a certain next-door neighbor for 19 years now, a divorced woman with three kids. We used to chat now and then when her kids were little. Her son wanted a dog, so they got a husky. Her daughters wanted a cat, so they got a kitten. However, she made it plain to me that she did not really want pets and did not have time for them; the kids were supposed to take care of them. She works long shifts, often at night, and is rarely home. Two of her kids are out of the house; the third still lives there I think, because we see her car in the driveway, but she is out more than in.

I rarely saw the cat because it was inside, but she used to complain to me about how it didn't always use the litter box and shed a lot, things like that. I did see the dog, because she was always in the backyard. For the first few years the son would take her for walks, but as he got older and busier, the dog was mostly just back there alone. We would often hear her howling at night but no one was home and there was nothing we could do. She would dig, and repeatedly broke down the fence between our two yards and got into our yard, or broke out and went down the street. Since we're home a lot, we would catch the dog and put her back in the yard; my husband would fix the fence. We would talk to the neighbor and she would sort of laugh and thank us for bringing the dog back and act like there was just nothing she would do about it.

The dog lived to a pretty old age, but one day she got out again, tottered down the street and was hit by a car.

This background info is just to give an idea of the kind of pet owner this neighbor is. If I thought about the cat at all, I would have figured she was probably long gone from old age. Well, on Friday night my daughter heard frantic meowing from the next yard and looked over, to see an ancient, decrepit, skin-and-bones cat at the doorstep. She went over and knocked on the door, but no one answered. So she picked up the cat and brought it to our house.

I should also add that I was not home and my daughter did not recognize the cat as belonging to the neighbor. It has also been extremely hot here (90s) and there is no water for miles around. So she was just trying to rescue what she thought was a stray. When I got home, the old cat was in the bathroom with food, water, and a litter box.

I calculate that she is 17 or 18 years old. Wow, is she in sad shape. Apart from being a walking skeleton and probably having hyperthyroid, she has long hair, and she has mats that I'd never imagined were possible. I cut one off her back near the tail that was 3 inches long and over an inch wide. Just stroking her once or twice took off so much loose hair that it was obvious no one had touched her for months. I think her teeth are bad, because she eagerly laps at food, but doesn't want to chew. I don't think she sees or hears well. She was clearly, if not abused, at least greatly neglected.

We cut off as many knots as we could, have been pureeing canned food for her, and she has been resting quietly in the bathroom where we check on her every hour or so. As loud as she was when she was in the backyard, we haven't heard a peep from her for the past two days. She's not restless or trying to get out. She just seems content to curl up on a towel or scratch pad, and purr whenever we scratch behind her ears.

Since Friday we have not seen the neighbor's car. Maybe she is on vacation. We've seen the daughter's car once, but I'm guessing she either doesn't realize the cat is gone or doesn't care. I've had indoor cats get out, and I was immediately out combing the neighborhood, putting up signs, and knocking on doors. Nothing of the kind from the neighbor.

This cat is so old, frail and probably ill that I really don't think she'll live long. At least here in our house, she is getting good food and lots of attention, which she seems to love. I would hate myself for handing her back to be neglected again. On the other hand, she is not my cat and I do know where her "home" is!

What would you do? Quietly keep the cat, give the cat back to the neighbor when she comes home, or talk to the neighbor and ask if we can keep the cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:43 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Well if it's the neighbor's cat she's clearly neglecting it, so offering it back to her would be a bad choice IMO.

If it's truly as old & decrepit as you state take it to a vet and, at worst, have it put down humanely.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
I would opt for option 3. Ask the neighbor if you can keep her & care for her, and if the neighbor objects, you might remind her that severe neglect can result in animal cruelty charges (but I would mention that only as a last resort). You may not know what's going on in the neighbor's home and it may not be intentional cruelty, but the bottom line is giving the cat better care for whatever time she has left. Approach the neighbor in that way, and they may be willing to do what's best for her and let you keep her.
Bless you for caring, and helping this poor cat.
Good luck.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:17 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
NO way would I ever ever EVER mention to them that you have rescued this cat. Not a chance.

Keep her safe, and when she's had enough, take her to the vet and have her put out of her misery. No way would I let them know where the cat is.

I am sure she was put out to die.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:34 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
NO way would I ever ever EVER mention to them that you have rescued this cat. Not a chance.

Keep her safe, and when she's had enough, take her to the vet and have her put out of her misery. No way would I let them know where the cat is.

I am sure she was put out to die.
The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. Just keep the cat & not say anything about it.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:56 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
...unless by some strange chance they ask. In that case...ehhhh...maybe it'd be best to lie.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
This made me so sad. How can people be so heartless and cruel? Thank goodness you got to her and could give her some love before she passes. Don't tell the neighbor.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
That poor old kitty. Don't tell the neighbor you've got her. Give the cat the best life you can in her remaining time, and send her off humanely when it's her time to go.

And if your neighbor gets another escapee dog? Don't fix the fence and take it back home; take it to the Humane Society so a decent person can adopt it. At least the neighbor should have to pay fines for her negligence. Kidnap any cats.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:59 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
I'm also agreeing. The cat deserves love and caring and a peaceful life, something she should have had all along and obviously never got. The "owners" deserve nothing, not a word. Thank you saibot for giving this cat what she deserves!!

Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Please keep her and a give her the love she deserves for the last bit of her life. Your neighbors have lost the privilege of having a pet. Thank you for caring for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats