Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 12:58 PM

730 posts, read 768,764 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We've had Mac up a lot with Aslan. Misto has been in his kitty pen and the hissing to the dog has stopped. Today we let Misto out with Mac and Aslan. Mac had collar and lead on for this. Lasted about 10 minutes, then I could sense Mac was a bit overwhelmed (kitties move different than adult cats). I put Mac out after that. Misto hissed a bit but the new was curious. I think Mac wanted to chase running kitty which i wouldn't allow.

Mac hanging by kitty pen:

Mac and Misto first meeting. Mac wanted to give chase but stayed. It was tough:

After a while Misto went to Aslan for protection. Aslan's groomed him.

And of course, Aslan was awesome the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 01:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I have that exact same pen! But I've only ever used it for traveling with the cats (and they have it open to play or sleep in as they want in their big cat room now.)

Your Mac is doing well. I've found the most difficult thing in cats and dogs cohabiting is a dog's prey drive. Even if a cat and dog peacefully co-exist when the cat is standing still or sleeping or walking slowly, even the best trained dogs with high prey drives can't help but give chase when they see a cat running. This is a very difficult issue, and one I struggle with. I have to monitor my dog when he's outside in areas where the barn cats live. I have pretty good recall with my dog, but the thrill of the chase can make him lose his mind. Fortunately, cats can outrun dogs and they can jump fences and climb up trees and other things to get away from the dog.

I guess since your cats are inside only you'll never see them running as hard and fast as outdoor cats can run, so your dogs' prey drive might not kick in.

But this is exactly why you have high places for the cats to escape to.

(PS - have I mentioned before how incredibly cute Misto is? And I love that Aslan has accepted him. So great when cats bond with one another!)

Old 07-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I have that exact same pen! But I've only ever used it for traveling with the cats (and they have it open to play or sleep in as they want in their big cat room now.)

Your Mac is doing well. I've found the most difficult thing in cats and dogs cohabiting is a dog's prey drive. Even if a cat and dog peacefully co-exist when the cat is standing still or sleeping or walking slowly, even the best trained dogs with high prey drives can't help but give chase when they see a cat running. This is a very difficult issue, and one I struggle with. I have to monitor my dog when he's outside in areas where the barn cats live. I have pretty good recall with my dog, but the thrill of the chase can make him lose his mind. Fortunately, cats can outrun dogs and they can jump fences and climb up trees and other things to get away from the dog.

I guess since your cats are inside only you'll never see them running as hard and fast as outdoor cats can run, so your dogs' prey drive might not kick in.

But this is exactly why you have high places for the cats to escape to.

(PS - have I mentioned before how incredibly cute Misto is? And I love that Aslan has accepted him. So great when cats bond with one another!)
Thanks so much for your thoughts. We did bring the other three dogs up (individually) today and I'll post that later. Unfortunately one of them (not our alpha) has a really intense prey drive. It's going to be our biggest challenge and quite frankly I hope I'm up to the task. If I cannot train this, I will have to rotate when he is allowed free roam vs the cats.

I'm confident this is doable with the other three dogs and the cats however. IMO, I do not feel it's wise for the kitten to be running about freely with any dog but Mac at this point, and even then it must be highly supervised. Misto is just too small not to get hurt.

I'm really bummed about the 3rd doodle. He was so fixated on the sleeping cats. I'll post more about it later. He's also the least bonded to me so his training isn't as solid. The other three would do anything for me, including ignore cats.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Well, a cat can throw a pretty good punch if need be. You might have to accept this - let Aslan clawpunch in the snoot a dog that both you and he perceive to be in a moment of serious threat. That will usually make a dog yip and back off, even though they'll bark. Your cats will definitely need their claws both for climbing and for protection - please oh please don't ever get their claws removed, that's so awful and dangerous for cats!

That said, I really don't think a well fed well trained house dog would maul a cat, even after chasing. But there are always exceptions.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
OMG the photo of Asian grooming Misto is just adorable.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Kitty is still crying and clawing at Aslan when they are wrestling. Is this normal? Kitty instigates a lot but there are times whenever Aslan won't stop when kitty keeps crying/screaming. Not sure if Aslan is being too rough or kitty is crying wolf. They've been together about 2 weeks now, with Misto sleeping separately from Aslan and Misto still going in playpen at times. Aslan as an adult is 13 lbs, Misto is 3.7 lbs at 11 weeks.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Kitty is still crying and clawing at Aslan when they are wrestling. Is this normal? Kitty instigates a lot but there are times whenever Aslan won't stop when kitty keeps crying/screaming. Not sure if Aslan is being too rough or kitty is crying wolf. They've been together about 2 weeks now, with Misto sleeping separately from Aslan and Misto still going in playpen at times. Aslan as an adult is 13 lbs, Misto is 3.7 lbs at 11 weeks.
Some cats make a lot of noise when they play and it's not a bad thing. Our Sadie will hiss and growl, yet she'll still chase a cat and want to play. Watch each cat for signs of stress, ears back, arched back. Once in a while, we'll have to break things up. I'll usually get a wand toy and distract the cats.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Yeah, pretty much normal. But like Rene said, keep your eyes open for signs of being "too serious".

Kittens love to start things, and then squeal/cry/yowl when they realize they're not as big & fierce as they think they are.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
If there is evidence of blood or wounds, or if Toffee is obviously scared of Aslan and is actively avoiding him, then there is a problem. If Toffee is not afraid of Aslan and continues to instigate play with him, then everything is fine.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I love to see Aslan grooming Misto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats