Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Be advised that Furminators can be pricey (in the 40 dollar range), but I'm told they do work quite well. Probably find one online and save a little bit.
It appears there is a variety of them to chose from.
Pet Brushes | FURminatorĀ®

Aaahh, yes, that is on the pricey side. So far I wouldn't need one for BeBe, I simply use a good pin brush and she loves that. Thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,419 times
A flea comb is good at getting out the soft, fluffy underfur and very cheap to purchase.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
White spit up is not normal 2x day. That's stomach bile. Can you get her fur shaved down at a groomer? First though I'd get her into a good veterinarian.
I give my Norwegian Forest Cat who is super fluffy a half of a teaspoon of organic coconut oil; every day, and he will take it from my fingers.
I fear your cat may have a blockage if she's not pooping.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
White spit up is not normal 2x day. That's stomach bile. Can you get her fur shaved down at a groomer? First though I'd get her into a good veterinarian.
I give my Norwegian Forest Cat who is super fluffy a half of a teaspoon of organic coconut oil; every day, and he will take it from my fingers.
He's pooping fine. And the vet said he was fine this afternoon.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

Most vets are very stupid about cats and hairball vomiting. They are so used to kibble fed cats being chronic pukers they think it's"normal". It isn't.

How old is your cat? Did the vet do blood work? X ray? Suggest diet improvements (from dry to wet for instance)? Recommend ultrasound?

Has the vomiting stopped?

Last edited by catsmom21; 07-20-2019 at 06:37 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 07:00 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
We use Laxatone with our two Maine Coons. Fortunately they love it and it does seem to help them.

Catsmom21, we had that experience with a couple vets as well. We finally took our problem kitties to a cat only vet and they immediately diagnosed him with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. They put him on prednisone and he immediately got better and stayed better. Don’t know why that was so hard. We’ve been with that same vet for years now, very happy with them.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
We use Laxatone with our two Maine Coons. Fortunately they love it and it does seem to help them.

Catsmom21, we had that experience with a couple vets as well. We finally took our problem kitties to a cat only vet and they immediately diagnosed him with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. They put him on prednisone and he immediately got better and stayed better. Don’t know why that was so hard. We’ve been with that same vet for years now, very happy with them.

I'm glad you've found a vet you like!

Laxatone is so toxic though. It's made with petroleum products. Something no living being was ever meant to ingest.

I'm glad the pred has helped your cats but is your vet helping you control their IBD with diet as well? Pred of course comes with it's own hazards and diet is very important. Hopefully your cats are at least on an all wet filler free diet (raw would be better) with sufficient fasting periods between meals.

There are better things for controlling hairball issues. Egg yolk lecithin (EYL) for instance, and egg yolk. Hairballs are made up of fur bound up with fat in the stomach. EYL is a fat emulsifier, it breaks up the fat, freeing the fur so it can be passed out with the poop.

Egg yolk is rich in choline with improves motility. And is nutritious in it's own right as well.

The reason "fasting" periods are so important, for any cat healthy enough to go 8 or 10 hours between meals, is because of the way a cat's digestion works. Their bodies require a hunger signal to start moving non food items (such as fur) through their bodies. Fur can often lodge just at the exit, the pylorus. Fasting long enough for the cat to feel hunger pangs (8-10 hours usually) causes the pylorus valve to contract, allowing the fur to pass through.

Some times the fur can get stuck there, causing repeated vomiting of food, with no fur coming up.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
On the lighter side - I am sure the vet is fine. I am a big proponent of second opinions. Cats do not throw up just to do so.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
On the lighter side - I am sure the vet is fine. I am a big proponent of second opinions. Cats do not throw up just to do so.
My vet has been looking out for our animals for something like 20 years; I think he knows what he's doing.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:30 AM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
My neighbors were talking the other day about one of them getting a "Furminator" ?? I'm not familiar with those, but the conclusion is that they do a fabulous job with the coats of most cats.
In my experience, Furminator is good for short-haired cats. Even short-haired cats with slightly longer fur might not be able to use it; it seems to catch and break/pull out the hair rather than just combing out the loose stuff. I can't imagine using it on a long-haired cat.

(I got my Furminator when the pet store was having a major sale, for like half off.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats