Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 05:42 PM

294 posts, read 180,425 times

Advertisements

Dear all, it’s breaking my heart but our little man has some kind of cancer. Most likely lymphoma with enlarged spleen, the lump nodes were irregular and most likely the liver is involved. That was the diagnose around Thanksgiving. We decided against any further testing and he is now on 3 mg of Prednisolone every other day. He is 11 years old and a Maine Coone Mix. We went to the doctor because he ate less and started loosing weight. He also got less social.

He has good days and bad days and I read every article I could find. What is really the last stage before saying good bye? He is kind of eating (Gerber Baby food, hills A/D and kibble, just enough to not loose significantly more weight), he stops by a few times a day to check on us, but he also sleeps the rest of the day, sometimes not even looking up when you walk by. No diareah, no vomiting, normal daily stool. Just got him a senior litter box to make it easier for him. He still jumps on the couch for treats - but then he disappears again for another 2 hour nap.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just would like to know what to look out and what most likely will happen next.

Last edited by Jackiemohro; 01-03-2019 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Made title more specific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
While situations can be different depending on the illness, in general we've noticed that not eating is a big factor. Also, cats tend to hide when they are very ill, so if he starts sleeping in closets or other hidden areas that's a sign.

Sorry to be morbid, but you did ask. . .Our Tucker died from lung cancer, and that final day he lost the spark from his eyes. He hid in our enclosed porch and toward the end of the day, he no longer wanted to be pet or touched. His tail started to get cold too. We called the in-home vet to come to our house later that night.

Another thought--you may be too close to the situation to fairly access him. Ask a friend or family member whose seen him to stop by. I have a good friend who recently lost a cat to kidney failure. She had posted a video on Facebook of this cat and I was shocked at how ill the cat looked, and I gave her my opinion. She took her to the emergency vet and sadly, kitty had to be euthanized. While it was sad, I felt a bit of comfort knowing the kitty didn't suffer overnight.

I'm very sorry for all of this.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Dear Rene, Thanks for your insights.

I am indeed afraid that we are too much involved in the situation. That's is why I was hoping to learn from others experience. It is such a heartbreaking topic.

Gambo just stopped by to get some more of his favorite treats (he loves Temptations but please don't judge me - lol - the vet said I can give him whatever he wants to eat in his last days). He talked a little to me (he was always a big talker), and went back to his day-time spot which is currently the rug in front of my shower. Before the prednisolone started working he was indeed hiding under the guest bed or in my closet, but he hasn't been there in a while. He also still follows us at night into the bedroom and stays at my feed.
My doctor also advised to keep an eye on his gums to see if he becomes anemic. They are still pink. Thanks for the tip with the tail!

I also send lots of pictures to friends (they are all animal lovers) and they see he is sick, but they comment he looks "contempt" or "relaxed".

I guess all we can do is to love him and keep a very close eye on him and his behavior. Our vet doesn't do the last service at home, but I found a nice lady who is "specializing" in it. She is a regular vet also and seems to have a super nice personality. We are in contact and she is basically ready whenever we are.

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
I would never judge anyone about what to feed their dying pet. If he eats Temptations, then he can have them! The day he stops eating Temptations will be a big sign IMO.

I'm glad to read that you have a vet who will come to your home when it's needed. We did the same thing.

My heart goes out to you. It's not easy. You seem like you have a good grip of him and his needs. Sending purrs.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
We animal lovers know how hard this is....to see your darling cat in such a situation.

Yes!! whatever he likes, no reason to avoid treats!!

Wishing you strength in the coming days...and a peaceful time with your pet until the end.

((Hugs))

gbh

Old 01-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Thanks to both of you. I think it’s just good to “talk”.

My husband is fully involved to and we both cry at times, and feed him whenever he is willing to eat. We buy him whatever he needs or wants and I am happy I don’t have to do it alone. But you can only talk so much to your colleagues or friends about it, without them thinking you are nuts. Most have animals but not everybody had to deal with serious sickness/ cancer.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:27 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Old 01-04-2019, 05:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Thanks to both of you. I think it’s just good to “talk”.

My husband is fully involved to and we both cry at times, and feed him whenever he is willing to eat. We buy him whatever he needs or wants and I am happy I don’t have to do it alone. But you can only talk so much to your colleagues or friends about it, without them thinking you are nuts. Most have animals but not everybody had to deal with serious sickness/ cancer.
There will always be those who don't completely understand the human/animal bond. But that's their shortcoming, not yours. Love is love, and grief is part of that condition. This forum is one place you can come to "let it out", and no one here will think you're nuts. Quite the contrary, actually.

Your boy is clearly loved & in good hands. I hope you can have a bit more good time with him. And btw, what's his name?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Nicely said, Catdad. His name is Gambo by the way. We got him from a shelter when he was 4ish. He was returned by his previous owners, no one wanted him as he was so shy and he was a total mess. Took us a while to gain his trust and now he is the sweetest cat ever. Long reddish-white maincoone mix. Don’t ask how we came up with it :-) thanks, we really had some wonderful days. He loves his new low entry senior litter box (can highly re I mmend to any sick or older cat) and I think the CBD is also helping him to feel relaxed. While typing, he is walking around. Happy weekend to everyone. We keep you posted on the progress.

Last edited by Jackiemohro; 01-05-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Nicely said, Catdad. His name is Gambo by the way. We got him from a shelter when he was 4ish. He was returned by his previous owners, no one wanted him as he was so shy and he was a total mess. Took us a while to gain his trust and now he is the sweetest cat ever. Long reddish-white maincoone mix. Don’t ask how we came up with it :-) thanks, we really had some wonderful days. He loves his new low entry senior litter box (can highly re I mmend to any sick or older cat) and I think the CBD is also helping him to feel relaxed. While typing, he is walking around. Happy weekend to everyone. We keep you posted on the progress.
Glad Gambo is holding his own. Give him an extra cuddle for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats