Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 06:36 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times

Advertisements

I agree with Rene S. I think it would make me sad. I have researched this as I was curious about it - and I think it can be a beautiful thing - I just think for me personally, it would make me sad.

I am sorry about your little Molly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 07:12 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
Have a ceramic bust made, it requires far less care and heirs might welcome it as well.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:54 AM

53 posts, read 42,487 times
The vet put my sick kitty to sleep and put him in a shoe box wrapped in blue twine with a red flower on top. After giving him an online memorial service, I buried him in my backyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0orO9TCXSw

Old 02-09-2023, 10:35 AM

56 posts, read 30,344 times
I don't have any children nor do I plan to have any, so I have to think about what would happen to my pets' remains if I did something like have them taxidermied. Nobody would care about them but me. My plan is to have my furbabies' cremation urns added to my casket, or if I decide to be cremated myself I would want their ashes added to mine and scattered somewhere.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:31 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenworthy53 View Post
The vet put my sick kitty to sleep and put him in a shoe box wrapped in blue twine with a red flower on top. After giving him an online memorial service, I buried him in my backyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0orO9TCXSw
That was a very sweet service for your kitty Einstein.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:09 AM

9,411 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Apologies for not getting back to people on this. I'll be back.

I had Molly cremated. I checked with two taxidermists and both said kitty will probably not look like kitty did when they're done with her. I don't know squat about taxidermy so that's the sum of my knowledge.

The crematory had the nicest box we've ever gotten, of all the pets we've had cremated. Even had a little plaque on the front with her name and 2004-2023. I'm not exactly a tekkie, my wife knew all that, but I'll see if I can figure out how to get a photo posted.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:01 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Apologies for not getting back to people on this. I'll be back.

I had Molly cremated. I checked with two taxidermists and both said kitty will probably not look like kitty did when they're done with her. I don't know squat about taxidermy so that's the sum of my knowledge.

The crematory had the nicest box we've ever gotten, of all the pets we've had cremated. Even had a little plaque on the front with her name and 2004-2023. I'm not exactly a tekkie, my wife knew all that, but I'll see if I can figure out how to get a photo posted.
That sounds beautiful HUGS

Old 02-21-2023, 02:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,040,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Our sweet baby Molly got her assist from sickness and pain last Friday. I got the number of a pet crematory, that's what we've done with all out other deceased pets. Made a 10am Saturday appointment. Saturday it dawned on me, perhaps Molly was messaging me but I've never had this thought before, that how about taxidermy?

So I called and cancelled the Saturday crematory appointment, tomorrow I'm going to go by a couple of taxidermists. I read up on the procedure, they also freeze dry.

Thoughts?
I was just asking my friend about that the other day. I was wondering if you could have your house pets done like that. I think it's legal, but just looking at your pet is not going to bring its life back, or bring you the joy your pet did. If anything, it could actually prolong or worsen your healing.

I thought about it and I'm not going to do that, although I do dread the day something happens. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Not the kind of thing I would do but that is just me. Further, I have my own cat beliefs of how they stay with us forever.........just that mine are philosophical...........but as such, who am I to say what is right and what is wrong.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:45 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
I was just asking my friend about that the other day. I was wondering if you could have your house pets done like that. I think it's legal, but just looking at your pet is not going to bring its life back, or bring you the joy your pet did. If anything, it could actually prolong or worsen your healing.

I thought about it and I'm not going to do that, although I do dread the day something happens. I'm sorry for your loss.
I doubt there are legal restrictions but a phone call or email should confirm that.

I'd have preserved Molly because she was my closest nearest and dearest companion. She took to my lap years ago, and has been with me faithfully ever since.

Looking back, I think she was showing signs of her imminent departure some months back, maybe as much as six months before she died. She moved from cuddling next to me at night to sleeping on my wife's side of the bed. She didn't always come to my lap when I was on the recliner. That was new. She was ALWAYS there.

A distancing. Almost signs or messages that she would be departing, and joining my wife, and I'm just letting you know poppy. Just so you know.

To me, it would have been a great comfort to see her curled up asleep. I could rub her little head or scratch her chin or cheeks, it's a comforting feeling. Not for everyone, but that's how I'm wired.
But that was not to be. As it is, I can place my hand on her little box as I pass by, as I go through our bedroom door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats