Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2023, 06:11 PM

381 posts, read 170,206 times

Advertisements

My cat recently had a routine dental cleaning, no extractions and was given Zorbium, which is transdermal Buprenorphine that will release pain medication for the following 4 days. This is basically a opioid per the reseach I've done.

The take home instructions said some cats might be "slightly sedate" until it wears off.

Is this normal? Do any of you have experience with this medication?

I've had cats before and they've never been given this or anything that is supposed to last 4 days. In the past they were still a bit "loopy" when coming home with dilated eyes and perhaps even a touch wobbly on their feet but would recover over the rest of the day and or night.

My cat was and still is basically stoned out of his mind, he almost never slept the first night, kept hidden behind some furniture, eyes are still majorly dilated, even during the first night , checking on him 5 times he was always sitting straight up just staring at the wall or furniture. This in the middle of the night/morning.

My cat hadn't eaten or drank or used the litter box so I called the vet the day after. They wanted to see my cat and gave it fluids and gave me take home appetite stimulant that is put on the inner ear. There was no charge for this.

My cat has now, at least once, used the litter box for a tinkle, but still won't eat. He spends most of his time just staring at the walls or at objects in the room. He likes to be pet and purrs loudly. He will look at me when I call to him when he's staring at something.

I would say he's getting a bit better in that he sometimes come out of hiding and likes to be pet. I have seen my cat engage in a small amount of self-cleaning. I have now on day 2 noticed that he seems to at least be able to sleep judging by how it looks like his head is on the carpet and slightly under the furniture. It's a bit hard to see him back behind the furniture.

It seems that some cats either get really hyped up and are super active and rub on everything and even chew on stuff or do the opposite, like my cat and are lethargic and purr loudly, my cat purrs loudly all the time. I read where respiration is sometimes suppressed in these cats so I'm scared.

Also scared of my cat not eating and getting the moisture kitty needs. My cat has never been a noticeable drinker of water as I add a little water to his 3x daily wet food but would tinkle usually 3 or 4 times a day.

This level of "pain" management seems really excessive! For a routine dental cleaning? The bottom line is the pain "management" has been worse than what I feel my cat would've had just because of the cleaning. Seeming how he's off food, water and only one bathroom episode with having to take him back and stress him out again, was that justified because of a dental cleaning?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 06:34 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
This type of pain management seems quite excessive! Our Sadie had a dental a year ago with two extractions (including a canine) and she didn't have anywhere near this. I think she had an injection but it wasn't the same kind as you described.

If you stay with this vet and have another procedure, make it clear ahead of time what you want and don't want. We meet with a tech before a procedure and they have a check list you eventually sign. For instance, I do NOT want Convenia (antibiotic) injections and will note that on the form.

Before I pay, I also ask for an itemized receipt to review beforehand. I want to see what they are charging me and what medications/etc were given.

Is this excessive? Maybe. But it's our cat and I want what I think is best for her.

Bottom line: I hope your kitty is feeling more like himself soon. Try meat baby food or those churu treats, anything to get him to eat. You may need to try force feeding him a bit to get him started.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:36 AM

36,416 posts, read 16,023,456 times
So the medication is transdermal, like a patch?

Old 06-09-2023, 10:34 AM

381 posts, read 170,206 times
it wasn't a patch but was transdermal,

my cat is doing much better now. Ate some hard food last night and overnight, still hasn't eaten any wet food. Has used the litter box multiple times both number 1 and 2. Not so spaced out. Sitting out in the open and sunning, watching the birds.

Hope this continues, they said I could bring him in again if he turns for the worse again.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
No and I would have questioned the vet immediately why this was put on my cat without discussing it with me first.

And I'd be calling that vet on Monday morning to find out what the heck they were doing giving your cat an unnecessary drug like that, and detail what he went through.

Cripes, drug the cat into a zombie, then drug him to make him eat. Perhaps start looking for a different vet practice.

Your cat will probably need fluids again.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:27 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I agree with others. A normal cleaning should not involve this level of pain medication. And I agree with your questioning this practice’s practices.

I would not take my cat to this vet again. I don’t want to cast aspersions but this whole situation seems odd… My first thought after reading the OP was that someone in the clinic had excessively restrained the cat for the cleaning, resulting in injuries that the vet is now trying to cover up as “pain medication for a dental cleaning.”

Old 06-11-2023, 08:15 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I agree with others. A normal cleaning should not involve this level of pain medication. And I agree with your questioning this practice’s practices.

I would not take my cat to this vet again. I don’t want to cast aspersions but this whole situation seems odd… My first thought after reading the OP was that someone in the clinic had excessively restrained the cat for the cleaning, resulting in injuries that the vet is now trying to cover up as “pain medication for a dental cleaning.”
Cleaning are supposed to be done under anesthesia. It's also the only way they can do a full dental exam.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:16 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Was this one of those horrible "anesthesia free" dentals? I admit I had a little trouble following the original post, but didn't see that mentioned.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:48 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Cleaning are supposed to be done under anesthesia. It's also the only way they can do a full dental exam.

I get the feeling that is not what happened at this clinic...eek!

Old 06-12-2023, 07:33 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Was this one of those horrible "anesthesia free" dentals? I admit I had a little trouble following the original post, but didn't see that mentioned.
There's such a thing?!?! I had no idea. I sure hope that's not what happened here.

OP, do you have the reciept? Take a look and see if they charged you for anesthesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats