Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 12:31 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,009,621 times

Advertisements

^^ kittens could fall in buckets and not be able to get out.
Any baby critter for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 02:43 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've got water out and when it is hot outside, the water soon becomes warm and if it is in the sun it gets quite hot. Shallow water heats faster than deep water, so I don't know how much the animals are using it to cool off and not just as drinking water.

I have to scrub the water buckets out with a scrub brush because otherwise they are soon fouled with algae. Swish and rinse isn't enough.

Really, OP, cats fall asleep in water and drown?
thats why I said not to high so they don't drown when they lay in it.

Maybe putting out buckets of ice cubes would be better that way it will last longer as it melts.

I usually liked putting water in the shade in my yard and I always checked on it and changed it daily at the very least once a day. I had to go to work so I couldn't change it in the afternoon. Except on weekends then I could do more often.

I know a woman who has that bucket with flower on top and it's a fountain. She is lucky enough to have an outlet to plug it into so they drink the fountain water pouring out.

Last edited by staystill; 07-18-2023 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: but like thundercat13 said kittens could fall in and drown in the bucket. But a kitten in a half inch of water ? not sure

Old 07-18-2023, 02:51 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
With the assortment of critters around here plus all the cats there's always plenty of water out.
I've got deer, raccoons, opossums, groundhogs and saw a peacock a few months ago.
Never know what comes around that I don't see. This weather is crazy and I worry about them all.
You have the place to live I always wanted but I just can't have it. At least they have you to help them. I am thinking lately without any blizzards and more snow in the winter like we use to get does it make more kittens and other baby animals reproduce? Winters use to be brutal here but not that much the last few years. The 90's were horrible winters for me. I bet it was brutal for the homeless animals especially kittens and puppies. We don't see much homeless dogs but cats oh yeah we have to many. I am hoping more towns get together and spay and neuter them all once and for all. Then make some rule or law no pet cats and dogs that are not spayed and neutered. Only because they end up homeless when they are dumped like garbage. It is so much better to feed them healthy food so they don't get sick and prevent extra costly vet bills and bring to shelters instead of throwing them away. I hate it when people do that. Free spay and neuter town programs would sure be nice.

Old 07-23-2023, 12:34 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,506,352 times
They have a solar fountain thing you could try. I think it just floats in the water in whatever you put it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats