Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 11:31 AM

81 posts, read 37,288 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, been a while since I posted but you know how life is.

You're probably familiar with the many chapters of Albert since we adopted him almost 2 1/2 years ago. What we learned was there's a whole lot of fighter in that little furball along with a whole lot of love With an uninterrupted year of no vet visits, no carrier, no stress, Albert blossomed.

His annual checkup in April was devastating, however. After all he had been through, he now had cancer near the same area as his previous TECA. After that carousel of testing, X-rays, MRI, ultrasound, it got worse.

The cancer was growing into his salivary gland and unless they could completely eradicate it with surgery, it would likely come back. Thus a lower probability of success. To further complicate the matter, the possibility of facial nerve damage was high. Chemotherapy and Radiation were of course options, but my wife went through that with Breast Cancer Thank God she beat it), we knew what that entailed. We opted to take him home, love him as much as we could until his time came.

Earlier this week, we discovered another nodule on the opposite side of his jaw and overnight, he scratched his growth open. Fortunately, there was no real harm to him, but that made us realize what we needed to do.

I went early this morning and set everything up, Albert's cremated remains will be returned to us.

Thank all of you for your caring thoughts as we travelled Albert's journey.

Who knows? There may be another diamond in the rough come into our lives again some day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 04:43 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
So sorry you lost your furry bud Albert. Everybody dies, as I tell myself every day since my wife died. It's sad that an innocent such as Albert would be hit with a host of pathologies. I hope he wasn't in pain.
Some of us go easy, some of us go hard. But he's now cancer free, pain free, and waiting on his hoomins who will one day cross over to be with him again. We love our babies, now and forever.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:45 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times
These threads either make you or break you. They used to break now they make, me more determined to relieve others' pain & anguish re loss of a beloved pet that NO WORDS CAN COMFORT NOR TAKE AWAY THE PAIN!

But I will say I offer my heartfelt condolences as this is THE hardest part of having a innocent animal w only unconditional love to give-- that is far & above what most humans can only dream to aspire to do.

May you find peace and comfort knowing your furbaby, precious Albert, suffers no more, and is awaiting your joining him at Rainbow Bridge as are so many people here waiting as well for that joyous day.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:49 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
So sorry you lost your furry bud Albert. Everybody dies, as I tell myself every day since my wife died. It's sad that an innocent such as Albert would be hit with a host of pathologies. I hope he wasn't in pain.
Some of us go easy, some of us go hard. But he's now cancer free, pain free, and waiting on his hoomins who will one day cross over to be with him again. We love our babies, now and forever.
Beautiful post!

And I had NO IDEA you'd lost your wife and the pain of that loss? You have a strong character and alot of heart. Don't ever take it for granted. Most do not come close to being able to weather the storms I've read you deal with on here.

I can't rep you yet but will asap.

Old 09-02-2023, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Thank you for those kind words, I could not imagine losing my wife...

If Albert were in pain, he never showed it. There were changes, naturally, he slowed down with his playfulness, his tail drooped a little more often, he slept a lot and didn't trot as much. He never hid, his appetite remained strong. He was a fighter and I think that's what hurts the most. The little fellow tried, he fought hard.

We made sure he had anything he wanted, he loved laying in the sun at the front door. I would sit in the floor petting him for sometimes 30 minutes or more at a time several times a day. He would stretch, and roll, and purr. He felt love. He would still jump on the bed at night and curl up near the wife.

Other than that nasty growth on his jawline, and slowing a little, you'd not have known he was even sick.

Old 09-02-2023, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
These threads either make you or break you. They used to break now they make, me more determined to relieve others' pain & anguish re loss of a beloved pet that NO WORDS CAN COMFORT NOR TAKE AWAY THE PAIN!

But I will say I offer my heartfelt condolences as this is THE hardest part of having a innocent animal w only unconditional love to give-- that is far & above what most humans can only dream to aspire to do.

May you find peace and comfort knowing your furbaby, precious Albert, suffers no more, and is awaiting your joining him at Rainbow Bridge as are so many people here waiting as well for that joyous day.
Thank you so much!

Albert is in good company now with the others who passed before him...Hampton, Big Boy, Little Girl, JayJay and Solomon

Old 09-02-2023, 09:58 AM

5,583 posts, read 6,514,131 times
Brought tears to my eyes. So sorry for your loss. You gave him a wonderful life and in the end making that decision for his comfort was the ultimate act of love. Bless you and your wife for taking him in.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:06 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,929,042 times
Oh I'm so sorry. You gave Albert the bestest, happiest life possible. If it helps any, I've heard that oral cancers are very aggressive, and there was likely nothing you could have done to remove/stop it.

My condolences. Maybe someday another kitty will find its way to you.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:53 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Long ago in a place far away a vet told me there are two main killers of cats: cancer and kidney.

We all die, to state the obvious but which I tell myself every day, anyway. Albert has crossed the bridge, no pain no sickness just love and snuggles and waiting on his loved ones.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:15 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
When you are ready please adopt another fur baby in his honor. I go to the shelter and adopt an older undesirable baby that would otherwise be killed. I am so sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats