Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh I so agree. One of my kitties actually used her claws as kind of fingers to stab objects, usually food or toys to pick up or to pull things closer to her. It was hysterical to watch.

I equate it with cutting off a human finger from the first joint. It isn't just the claw itself that gets cut off it's the bone behind it. (Correct me if I am wrong I am not certain but I have been told more that just a nail is removed).

Anyone contemplating declawing a cat needs to think about that.
You are correct. It's not just the claw that they remove. They take the last joint of the toe the claw grows from and is attached to. It's like cutting off the last joint of your finger including the nail.

My cats use their claws when catching the toys flipped into the air. To climb up their cat furniture. To help them "stick" when landing on something. To hold an insect (now that's funny) and to sometimes claw out the last bit of food from their kitty bowls. They use them similar to how we use our fingers. And they dearly love to dig into their scratch poles and stretch those muscles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have declawed all of my cats. I have had zero problems.

Yea, we get that. YOU have had zero problems. Unfortunately, your poor cat had a horrible mutilation which you perpetrated on him.

I guess this is a little strident. Its just that I feel strongly against declawing.

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-19-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Yea, we get that. YOU have had zero problems. Unfortunately, your poor cat had a horrible mutilation which you perpetrated on him.
LOL, Ya okay. Somehow I think he misses his testicles more.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Any other body parts that you've had removed from your pets? Ears cropped, tail bobbed?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Any other body parts that you've had removed from your pets? Ears cropped, tail bobbed?
Hmmm....didn't realize people crop cat ears and bob tails.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
I have declawed all of my cats. I have had zero problems.
Maybe there were no residual effects and you and your cats were fortunate for that but where you there when they came out of surgery? Did you see them while they were still recuperating at the vet's? That is I have been told the time they are in the most pain. And although your cats came out okay some do not as other posters have mentioned.

I am not a vet tech so I cannot speak professionally. It's just something that seems like mutilation to me. The kitty I had that I was going to have declawed before I heard what it could do to her was a terrible furniture scratcher. But I was able to train her out of it. It took time and patience. I had an old couch I was going to get rid of so I didn't care if she shredded it but the furniture I did care about was covered and protected while she was learning to use her scratching post and cardboard scratcher only.

It was worth the effort.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:

Well, that would explain your indifference to the mutilation. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't miss his testicles at all. Unless, of course, he was reading The Catcher in the Rye before the surgery.

EDIT:

Since this is already done, it doesn't help to attack you. Perhaps the next time you have to consider this you will look at it from a different perspective.

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-19-2010 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Be more tolerant of people who don't know.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Maybe there were no residual effects and you and your cats were fortunate for that but where you there when they came out of surgery? Did you see them while they were still recuperating at the vet's? That is I have been told the time they are in the most pain. And although your cats came out okay some do not as other posters have mentioned.

I am not a vet tech so I cannot speak professionally. It's just something that seems like mutilation to me. The kitty I had that I was going to have declawed before I heard what it could do to her was a terrible furniture scratcher. But I was able to train her out of it. It took time and patience. I had an old couch I was going to get rid of so I didn't care if she shredded it but the furniture I did care about was covered and protected while she was learning to use her scratching post and cardboard scratcher only.

It was worth the effort.
Reps, Hugs, the whole nine yards, Minervah! If only all cat owners would educate themselves about the mutilation of de-clawing and have the patience to teach their cats acceptable behavior.

Then there are those little 99 cent things called nail clippers. A snip of the tip of the nail...and your and your cat are happy! No pain...no fuss...and it only cost a whopping 99 cents!

Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, that would explain your indifference to the mutilation. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't miss his testicles at all. Unless, of course, he was reading The Catcher in the Rye before the surgery.

EDIT:

Since this is already done, it doesn't help to attack you. Perhaps the next time you have to consider this you will look at it from a different perspective.
Thanks for not attacking me. Wheww! I don't know how I would sleep tonight if you did.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Ummm no...I left town for a month. Never saw my cat after his surgery. Hold on...I will ask my cat, he is sleeping at my feet right now..

Okay, I asked him...he looked annoyed I woke him from his nap. Then he yawned. I am pretty sure he is not traumatized. Or maybe he is cuz sometimes when I go down the steps he zig zags in front of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats